Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
XSR900 tall rider mods / tank comfort

Hi everyone - I'm new on this forum and seeking advice/experience from tall XSR900 owners regarding the tank cover and long legs.

I'm a current owner of a R1200R and plan to swap for an XSR900. I've only sat on the XSR900 at the dealer - while feeling generally comfortable at 6'3" and 33" inseam I found my knees were uncomfortably resting on the edge of the scoop on the tank cover. E.g.
Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 4.48.56 PM.png

For reference, I sat on an XSR700 and it fit wonderfully. Much prefer buying the 900 though.

Anybody else deal with this and/or find a solution? Can the 700 tank cover be installed on a 900? Is there another mod that would bring the seat position back to make more room for knees/legs? I've been lusting after this bike but concerned the standard fit just won't work :/

Thanks!
Jared

·
Registered
127 Posts
A Corbin seat could be a possible solution for you. I heard the seat pushes you back a bit. Maybe someone in the forum with a Corbin seat can confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestion - yes it looks like the Corbin Gunfighter would push the position back a little.

<edit> looks like there is a Gunfighter & Lady saddle too, so I could still have a passenger.

Anybody on here have one installed, or other suggestions?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have this one that came with my used purchase. Consider selling it as I am a short rider and it sits me up just enough to make me uneasy on certain slopes and slow movements. I can say this, I put 6 hours on the ride up to Knoxville and back today and my ass wishes I had that Corbin seat on instead of the stock brick.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm 6'1" with 33" inseam and had the same problem you're describing. Since I only ride solo, I switch to an aftermarket seat intended for a single rider. That moved me back just enough so me knees now fit the tank perfectly. I also added tank knee pads to protect the custom paint job I had applied to the tank.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Does anyone with Corbin (or other aftermarket) also use the Yamaha OEM rear cowl?

I too have issues with where my knees end up (6'2) and have been looking at options, but many seem a bit too bulbous in the back to allow the cowl to fit over. Let me know! Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've read that the stock cowl and s2 cowl both work with aftermarket seats and tail tidys of most varieties. A quick Google can confirm. Better check just in case I lie

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Corbin idea works with the knee/tank thing. But the bike is so cool, I wouldn't care if I could still feel the tank ridges

1 - 11 of 11 Posts