Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I've just checked speedo accuracy on my bike and it looks like it's off by 10% (110 mph speedo - 100mph gps; 77mph speedo - 70mph gps).
I'm running 15T front sprocket instead of stock 16T, but from what I read XSR reads speed from the front abs sensor, so this should not affect it.

Is this common? I'm planning on changing ABS rings to ones with 36 slots instead of stock 40 to fix this. Is my thinking correct?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the ring needs to be made of steel (take a magnet to the stock one). ABS sensor is a Hall effect sensor, needs the ring to be magnetic to detect changes in magnetic field as it spins past.
Thanks JCFZ9, I haven't thought of that and assumed that it might be some sort of optical sensor.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The rings need to made of mild steel, I used to make them for all 09’s since 2015, stopped in 2021 due the lack of interest a sales, still make them for the KTM’s. If you look in my mod thread I have had them fitted to most of my 09’s.

·
Registered
744 Posts
With the Speedo Healer I did not want to cut my ABS wiring to fit the Speedo healer on my Gen 2's. Have not looked at the Gen 3 Speedo Healer fitment I have the modified ring on my Gen 3 22 09SP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, this is too much for my OCD.

I've 3d printed ABS ring with 10% less holes. Not brave enough to put it on the bike though. I'll have it made out of aluminium and see whether that solves the problem.
I would not modify this critical safety system of the bike. Yamaha likely has put in much time and money into designing and testing the stock ABS system. I may go with an aftermarket option (if available) only if it were thoroughly tested with the stock ABS.

But it is really cool how you designed and printed that ring. (y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would not modify this critical safety system of the bike. Yamaha likely has put in much time and money into designing and testing the stock ABS system. I may go with an aftermarket option (if available) only if it were thoroughly tested with the stock ABS.

But it is really cool how you designed and printed that ring. (y)
To my understanding, as long as you modify both rings, this won't affect ABS system at all. It has been done on the other Yamaha bikes.

I should have rings delivered this week, still have to powder coat them and will probably fit them within next few weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The rings need to made of mild steel, I used to make them for all 09’s since 2015, stopped in 2021 due the lack of interest a sales, still make them for the KTM’s. If you look in my mod thread I have had them fitted to most of my 09’s.
Thanks Kev, interesting read and awesome mods. I'll be coping some of it for sure (y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts