Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I attended Dust Hustle near Brisbane. Basically it's an event run by a local custom bike shop, Ellaspede. It's just a bit of fun where you can take your bike, the more inappropriate the better, and thrash around a dirt bike circuit or dirt drag racing. There were a few Harleys skidding about and one xsr 900. It made me question whether I'd take my bike off road. The answer, not a chance in hell. Would you take yours? OI000219.jpg

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Oh man I read the title of the thread and my stomach was already turning. I was thinking
"why would anyone do that to such a beautiful bike?, You want off road? Buy a supermoto".
Then I saw your first post and everything was good with the world again.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'd do it. Its just mud.

Reactions: GeorgementalFZ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Last weekend I attended Dust Hustle near Brisbane. Basically it's an event run by a local custom bike shop, Ellaspede. It's just a bit of fun where you can take your bike, the more inappropriate the better, and thrash around a dirt bike circuit or dirt drag racing. There were a few Harleys skidding about and one xsr 900. It made me question whether I'd take my bike off road. The answer, not a chance in hell. Would you take yours? View attachment 88569
Tried that once. Laid it down and totaled out the bike... Never again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey mate, that's me!

The XSR was a hoot on dirt. You probably saw me riding like an absolute pansy in the corners though - I got no skills and did not want to drop the bike - also had to ride it to work early Sunday morning! I had a Kenda Big Block tyre on the back and a Heidenau K73 Super Rain on the front. The front was pretty decent on the harder bits, but the track was softer than I was expecting and it didn't cope well when there was deep, loose stuff. The Big Block wasn't so great on wet tarmac either - rolling on the throttle pretty gently on the highway would light up the back tyre at 90km/hr (before traction control cuts in and saves the day).

115hp on dirt? F**ing hilarious!!!! Roost for days!!! I wanted to line up some of the fast guys on the grass drag strip but couldn't quite get in line with them, and as I got better at launching it I started getting a bit of head shake towards the end of each pass (it was surprisingly rough) and decided to quit before I hurt myself. Turns out a few people binned it big time just after I quit (the guy on the nice custom BMW built by Ellaspede and a girl on a Bonny). The XSR was bloody quick on the drag strip though.

Here's a pic of me launching it down the drag strip:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTYedzpgzdZ/?taken-by=idiogenic

And this is pretty much the only other photo of me that weekend that doesn't make me look ridiculously slow:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTiuImrgjfO/?taken-by=idiogenic

BTW - I'm guessing you're not the young guy with the blue XSR?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I'm not the young bloke. I did come over to find you to have a chat but you were probably getting food or changing your jocks. I did see the guy on the r nine t stack it. Brutal. They shortened the drag strip after that to avoid the lump just before the finish line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts