Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious, has anyone ever swapped a gauge (meter) from an XSR, over to a MT/FZ09? I own an MT, any have installed a round headlight. The round gauge of the XSR could integrate slightly nicer into the setup. It looks like the harness connection could be the same. But also would be curious what happens to your mileage reading etc??

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
711 Posts
I would hope that all the 'info' is actually stored in the ECU - that is how it works on most cars, the dash display is just a 'dumb' screen and shows whatever values (like odometer, speed, RPM) that the ECU sends to it. As proof of this I can say for certain that when I had my ECU flashed Vcyclenut they increased the redline RPM and the new redline value shows on the tach display.

Looking at the wiring for an xsr it seems the gauge is connected directly to the ECU, ABS, Oil Level, Gear Position, Fuel Sender, and TCS. That means that the only way the gauge can get speed, RPM, and Odometer values is over CAN bus from the ECU.

I suspect that swapping gauges would work, assuming that the pin-out on the gauge plug is the same.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
711 Posts
FYI this is the pin-out/colors on the XSR gauge connector for comparison:

or

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've just checked the Service Manual for an FZ-09 (LIT-11616-30-58) online and it looks like one cable is missing from the FZ versus the XSR.

Bottom right corner, the FZ does not have wire Lg on pin 2 if counting from right to left bottom row.

Now I'm deadly curious to know if it will work since yes, it would be a nice swap!

Anyone have an friend with an XSR that would allow a test swap?

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
711 Posts
Lg - light green - is the wire that is supposed to run to the immobilizer unit which I understand doesn't exist on US spec bikes. Should have caught that as my manual is for Europe spec xsr (it was free).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Then I would say it's a direct match. Does someone own an MT-09 with a near by friend that has an XSR??? PURTY PLEASE ARRANGE A SWAPaRONNEY!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am resurrecting this swap attempt. But may have to buy the XSR meter. Doh!

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
711 Posts
I thought it was an MT with an XSR headlight....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts