Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Like many, I'm taking the time in lockdown to carry out some maintenance on my 2016 XSR900. Today I've been trying to carry out a throttle body sync - which looks straightforward on the YouTube video ! However, I'm finding it impossible to get access to the cylinder 3 (the one on the left if you are sitting on the bike) cap to attach the carbtune.

Compared to all the engines I've seen on YouTube, I have an extra set of pipes blocking access to the cap - see photo. Any ideas on what these pipes are and how to get round this issue please ? The arrow is pointing to the cap I'm trying to reach.

All feedback welcome !

Regards

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
it is very hard to reach. keep trying. no way around it yet that i have found unless you want to take the whole throttle body assembly out. i use tweezers and a needle nose plyer.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Surgical forceps are a Godsend for all sorts of fiddly work. Unlike pliers, they also clamp. They make taking those nipples off, and putting them on easy peasy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is very hard to reach. keep trying. no way around it yet that i have found unless you want to take the whole throttle body assembly out. i use tweezers and a needle nose plyer.
Thanks for the feedback ! I'll give it another go this afternoon with some tweezers.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Surgical forceps are a Godsend
I was about to say... Use the right tool for the job! There you go. I gotta get me some.

Reactions: LouG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was about to say... Use the right tool for the job! There you go. I gotta get me some.
Sorted ! No getting away from the fact that the left hand adjuster cap is a pig to get to ! A mixture of needle nosed pliers and angled needle nosed pliers got the job done. Three difficult moments. Getting the left hand cap off, getting the carbtune tube on the nozzle - then getting the cap back on again. No room for error with the cap - drop it and it would disappear !

Bike has done 6k miles on a 2016 plate. Some adjustment needed - feels good when you get them spot on. Haven't ridden the bike yet to see if I can feel a difference.

Two tips - I routed the left hand carbtune tube through from the front of the bike (see attached - blue arrow) - the other two (one shown) come in from the top. Second - get the best lighting you can - the left hand cap needs to be pushed on at just the right angle, so being able to see what's happening is crucial.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts