Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Folks,
Recently took the 2016 XSR 900 out of storage,
Usually keep the battery inside as we are pretty far North. Just the first start of the year with no success. Have since replaced the battery with a new one same problem. It will turn over and over will not fire. Called the dealer they suggested plugs, I found this suggestion odd as it was fine when I put it away. Looking at some forum stuff, it appears the starter relays can be a problem. Not sure if I should take it to the dealer for the diagnostic.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated vs going to the dealership.
Thanks In Advance
Glen from the North !!!

·
Purveyor of Neat Toys
88 Posts
Is this the same gas in the tank when you put it away?

·
Purveyor of Neat Toys
88 Posts
So, it spent the winter with a part tank of fuel. I'll bet you have water in the fuel, which is of course collecting at the bottom near the pump inlet.

Drain out the bottom litre or so of fuel, see what that does. Bear in mind too that if this is the problem, your fuel lines right up to the injectors are filled with contaminated gas. Your plugs might be wet, due to oil, water, or unburned fuel, so they'll need cleaning or replacing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, it spent the winter with a part tank of fuel. I'll bet you have water in the fuel, which is of course collecting at the bottom near the pump inlet.

Drain out the bottom litre or so of fuel, see what that does. Bear in mind too that if this is the problem, your fuel lines right up to the injectors are filled with contaminated gas. Your plugs might be wet, due to oil, water, or unburned fuel, so they'll need cleaning or replacing.
Thanks very much for the advice, as I was avoiding changing the plugs for the amount to remove for access I guess it’s taking me to the same point, fuel or fire.
Can’t change the plugs without removing the tank, air box and purging the fuel system.
I guess I have my work in front of me.

thanks again, I was just in the shop trying again,
I guess I may as well start ripping things apart.

have a good one!!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Interested as well. Didn't see this thread originally but I'd put my money on water in the tank as well. These bikes are pretty picky in my experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you get it to start and if so what did end up with cousing this?
This has turned out to be an exercise in patience, ordered oil,air and plugs......
Air 1 day
Oil 2 days
3 1/2 weeks plugs finally showed up yesterday

I will update once I get it back together

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well an update on the no starting XSR,
Replaced the plugs with new, emptied the fuel tank and inspected the pump screen.
Check the fuel line leading to the fuel manifold / rail for blockage.
none of these items have helped.

Took it down again put the plugs in the coil packs checks for spark, they have spark.
So back to fuel delivery.
When checking for spark, we put a few drops of fuel in the butterflies.
re-assembled it burped momentarily then back to no start.
no I’m starting to suspect blockage in the injectors.
Also concerned it is a dealer re-boot of some sort.
not sure anymore......

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've read in some other forum before I bought my bike that the fuel pump can be the issue, it primes up like normal when ignition is put to on but I think it never builds up the pressure in the rail... So maybe a new fuel pump in this case? The FZ/MT-09 is sold in more quantities so have a look in there about the fuel pump issue...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys, stilll pushing through this one.
I have made some progress, but no start yet.

removed the coil packs and attached plugs while they were out to check for spark.
Spark was good on all three.
Then I decided to try and put a little fuel ibto the butterfly’s just past the rubber boot.
The bike started and used the fuel, then back to no firing.

I had the fuel tank line off and turned to see if positive pressure was coming out of the pump, I felt nothing.
The pump primed and goes off????

how much pressure should be at the pump to deliver fuel throughthe lines to the injectiors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hmm, definitely sounds like it would be the fuelpump issue... To test it would be some kind of adapter with a guage, can have a look in my manual to see if there is a pressure limit...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, definitely sounds like it would be the fuelpump issue... To test it would be some kind of adapter with a guage, can have a look in my manual to see if there is a pressure limit...
Thanks very much
When I put my finger on the plastic elbow from the tank, then turn the key you can hear the pump turn on, hit pressure then turn off.

I know this may sound funny but the pressure does bot change.

thanksfor the reference material

1 - 15 of 15 Posts