Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - and ladies, just wondering if anyone in the Pacific NW would like to trade an FZ-09 for a 1098? The Ducati is an amazing bike, I love it, but I'm looking for something I can ride from Portland to Plush and keep going when the pavement ends through the Hart Mountain Antelope Refuge. I was looking a the Triumph Tiger but I think the FZ-09 is a better fit.

My 1098 has 26,400 miles on it. Ducati Performance ECU with slip-ons. Major service interval recently completed by Cheshire Motorsports. Those guys fixed everything and it is truly running better than ever. The only thing this bike needs is a new front tire and I'll probably be replacing that soon anyway. If you're interested, let me know.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
That's an amazing offer-always loved the 1098 SF. Be forewarned though, with the stock suspension and vulnerable, exposed location of the drain plug and low hanging catalyst you may not find the FZ to be suitable for bouncing around off pavement. Great bike but kind of limited usefulness on the trails. Best of luck...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I expect to do a few mods. I'm actually thinking dirt roads more than trails, anyway. I'm more concerned about the small fuel tank but I've gotten used to a 120mi range with the Ducati. BTW, what is the real range on the FZ-09 on a tank of fuel?

That's an amazing offer-always loved the 1098 SF. Be forewarned though, with the stock suspension and vulnerable, exposed location of the drain plug and low hanging catalyst you may not find the FZ to be suitable for bouncing around off pavement. Great bike but kind of limited usefulness on the trails. Best of luck...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yeah, I expect to do a few mods. I'm actually thinking dirt roads more than trails, anyway. I'm more concerned about the small fuel tank but I've gotten used to a 120mi range with the Ducati. BTW, what is the real range on the FZ-09 on a tank of fuel?
if you're used to 120miles than i would say you'd get around the same with the FZ - that's about what i get - i've stretched it to 140 once or twice.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
To pacify myself, I never went beyond 130 miles to a tank...only to fill up and see that I had about 3/4th of a gallon left. Take 120-130 as you estimate.
For trails, maybe look at the sump guard from SW or this crazy crash cage + bash guard on ebay for the FZ (price went down from 450/475!).

The Duc looks amazing- dont want to trail it up like this guy who did this to his Panigale? -

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Interesting, I saw a write up on this in Motorcyclist a few months back. But one has to ask....why?
Just because they can doesn't mean they should...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I remember seeing that Panigale at Motocorsa. It’s definitely not practical, but it’s a great way to get some attention. If I still had another bike to commute on, I would definitely jump at this trade. I’m not sure what the resale is for one of those, but you could probably just sell it, buy an FZ and spend the extra on the upgrades.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
did he just remove the 2-6 gears - doubt you'd need um in the woods :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"And now for something completely different." Silly, for sure, but you've got to appreciate the effort.

To pacify myself, I never went beyond 130 miles to a tank...only to fill up and see that I had about 3/4th of a gallon left. Take 120-130 as you estimate.
For trails, maybe look at the sump guard from SW or this crazy crash cage + bash guard on ebay for the FZ (price went down from 450/475!).

The Duc looks amazing- dont want to trail it up like this guy who did this to his Panigale? -

1 - 15 of 15 Posts