Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone willing to part with their stock handlebars so I can experiment with them without having to remove and/or mess up my own handlebars?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going to try and cut about an inch (or more) off of the ends to make them narrower, and paint it black.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You've seen that the grips are actually about an inch past the ends of the bars? The bar ends support the ends of of the grips.

So you could just move the grips in and use different bar ends.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... I want to relocate the digital display to the center, scoot everything inward, and saw off what I can and re-tap the ends so I can continue to use my Rhinomoto bar ends.

And if I don't screw any of that up, paint it black 4.gif

The thing is, this is going to be a side project for my sporadically available "spare" time... so I would rather not lose the use of my bike while I fart around with it.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet!

Where are you at? (so I can calculate shipping and include it in an offer)

·
Registered
972 Posts
Sounds like something I did sorta...I always wanted an inch off each end too but I just bent and welded up a set. I didn't use the stock bars because the bends in them don't leave enough room for clamping the controls. I wanted a tighter bend going from the handlebar clamps up and then a tighter bend going down to the end of the bars. That way I wound up with the same amount of space for clamping the controls. They feel much more natural but when I get the time I am going to make up a new set that are just about an inch higher.

·
Registered
972 Posts
PegasusJockey, what did you do about the bar diameter at the bar mounts? Shim? With what?
I shimmed with 1 1/8 OD / 7/8 ID aluminum tubing. For the next set I will just make the center 1 1/8 to begin with. It will look nicer and be easier to mount without scratching the paint on assembly. So back to my local steel supplier. Luckily Shapiro Supply Co. is about 1/2 hour from here. Shapiro Supply, Alloy steel, Steel, Aluminum, Stainless, Aluminum Diamond Plate, Metal Suppliers
I love this place...it was even on the American Pickers TV show.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts