Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife & i thoroughly enjoy our FZ-09s, & i think they would make great track bikes; however, i don't wish to butcher either of ours for such duty. instead, i would like to purchase a salvage / wadded one & fix it up for track duty. these bikes are so light anyway; after stripping off all the street gear, i'm sure the extra lightness would make one even faster. fun times! not looking to travel far to pick one up; we're in south-central arizona, between phoenix & tucson.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The main issue with buying a wrecked bike and then tracking it is that you need to spend some $ having the frame, forks and swingarm checked to make sure everything is straight.

Other than that, it isn't a bad idea.

Personally, I would seek out something easier to track like a 600cc sportbike. There are many to choose from and a totaled one on the street is usually totaled because the plastics are destroyed and unless it actually impacted something, is usually straight.

An FZ09 has minimal plastic so it would likely get totaled due to an impact like having the frame hit and potentially bent or the forks hit and bent which can likely also bend the frame.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Not to mention the money that you are going to spend on suspension to get it to where it will actually be able to perform on the track when pushed hard. Also, an ECU flash to rid the bike of the top speed limiter, which actually kicks in when the bike is in the upper revs in 5th gear then limits the bike to 131/132 in sixth gear. Moto gave some good advice on looking for a 600 ......CBR, ZX, GSXR, R6, etc. Lots more spares available too and a ton of aftermarket stuff out there......many times on the cheap.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The 09 perform very well at the track. But like most said... you can get a few year old track bike for not too much and already setup.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Many say you can find 250cc Track Bikes for not too much $$$......many already set-up for The Track......As long as you're ok with being passed by Marthy on the straightaways, lol :cool:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
There was a Suzuki Bandit 600 here that was converted into a track bike (no title) for sale at this bike shop by me for $500. Needed some TLC and it wouldnt turn any heads in the looks department but would cost far less to fix it and ride the hell out of it on the track. I didnt see it but happened to ask one of the sales associates if they had something like that laying around (I was just curious about price for the condition and what you could get).

I surprised that they had one - and they were dying for someone to buy it from them . Moral of the story - ask around at your local shops you'd be surprised what they have potentially laying around.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
All good points to consider for a first track bike.

A potential source for a trackbike is to take your FZ09 to the track, do a trackday with it, then ask the instructors if they know anyone wanting to sell their old trackbike and in most instances, there are some known in the "grapevine" and you can often make friends that way and maybe even a trackday mentor...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main issue with buying a wrecked bike and then tracking it is that you need to spend some $ having the frame, forks and swingarm checked to make sure everything is straight.
we've raced before, so we're aware of the issue surrounding the purchase of a wadded bike.

Personally, I would seek out something easier to track like a 600cc sportbike.
one of my racebikes was an R6. :)
i'm not particularly fond of a 600's powerband, especially compared to the FZ-09's.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I sold my track bike for the FZ-09 1 year later I've never taken it to the track. Afraid I'm gonna lay it down.I've been thinking R3. Just under $5000 New.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There is one on FB socal motorcycle group asking $3000 I don't know how I can post it here though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is a crashed FZ09 that keep appearing on Craigslist, San Francisco. I think he wants $3,800. It has been appearing on and off over the past couple months. It's not currently up, it was a week ago.
It needs a fuel tank the radiator is tweaked. I don't remember what else I could see from the photos. The title is not yet salvaged.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
do yougys have the red key in the US?
do US fz09's have a chip in the key?

if you do, if the bike doesnt come with a key, you could be up for few grand for a new ecu/harness/ignition.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
no security on the us models as far as im aware
thats lucky for you lot.
In Aus, the ingnition barrel only works with chipped keys, same as hondas. No chipped key, you need to replace ignition, harness and ecu for about $3000. A few years ago when guys started buying wrecked Hondas as streetfighters, they discovered their cheap bike suddenly became quite expensive.

·
Registered
857 Posts
thats lucky for you lot.
In Aus, the ingnition barrel only works with chipped keys, same as hondas. No chipped key, you need to replace ignition, harness and ecu for about $3000. A few years ago when guys started buying wrecked Hondas as streetfighters, they discovered their cheap bike suddenly became quite expensive.
Its always good when the government steps in and protects us. Isn't it?

Ride Safe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts