Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might seem like a ridiculous question, but I want to make sure I don't damage the bike.

I bought a pair of race boots (TCX-RS2) that are high quality and offer a load of protection. They are even CE level 2. Anyway, I wore them for the first time on the bike today. I can't feel the shifter since the boots are so big, like space boots. I had to look down and it was kind of hard riding.

I am wondering if I can turn the bike on to see the screen and practice shifting while in my garage so I won't have to do this on the road.

Would I hurt the transmission?? Thanks!

(Oh, I road in standard for the first time. This bike is awesome. Best bike I have ever been on. I like it more and more with every ride)

·
Registered
192 Posts
No, use common cents and dont force things, but you wont hurt anything just shifting around. It hard to do since most transmissions dont really like shifting unless they are in motion.

Also, dont worry about it. Most really protective boots dont let you feel the shift lever. Be aware of it, at first, and after 10 miles you wont even notice. Its an odd sensation, but is well worth dealing with due to the added protection.

Notice, too, that the boots are probably thicker than your familiar with. You may have to raise the shift lever to have it all work together.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
be sure to adjust the shifter accordingly.

shifting with the engine off won't hurt anything. you may need to rock the bike back and forth as you shift becasue the transmission does not automatically line up the gears like a car manual transmission.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You can also shift all you want with the engine running ( @idle)and the clutch "in" so it won't move...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. That's what I was thinking of doing, I didn't know if it would hurt the transmission. I'm also going to find a quiet straight road to practice shifting with the boots. I only went out for twelve miles so I'm sure it will take some getting used to.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Have you adjusted your shift lever height? The long rod in the linkage has lock nuts at both ends, loosen those and turn the rod to raise or lower the pedal. Look carefully, one end of the rod has reverse threads.

A bit of practice and you'll feel what is going on even if you don't feel the specific spot the pedal is touching your boot.

Or you could go old school, in the '60s road racers would wear boxing boots. :eek:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I had a loss of feeling with new boots too. Exaggerating shifts helped. I used more pressure up and down until I felt more comfortable.

You also have the luxury of a gear indicator on this bike in case you unsure of your gear position, however I'd practice not relying on it as its one more thing to take your eyes off the road. Focus on listening for the "click" - i can hear it with plugs and music on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
What Beck said. Or if your boot stops moving you've made the shift. If it keeps moving you missed the pedal. ;)

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I always ride with the ball (pad) of my foot on the foot pegs so I have to move my foot forward to shift. I never ride with my foot under the shifter.

Here is an example of why it is better to ride on the balls of your feet:

Place a 2X2 on the the floor, try to do squats from your arch and the ball of your feet. You will find that you have much more balance from the balls of your feet.

On the bike, elbows up and balls on the pegs give you much more leverage and control in maneuvering situations. Just a tip.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Give yourself a week with new boots. They'll feel weird and distracting at first and then before you know it, it's like they're not even there.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I always ride with the ball (pad) of my foot on the foot pegs so I have to move my foot forward to shift. I never ride with my foot under the shifter.

Here is an example of why it is better to ride on the balls of your feet:

Place a 2X2 on the the floor, try to do squats from your arch and the ball of your feet. You will find that you have much more balance from the balls of your feet.

On the bike, elbows up and balls on the pegs give you much more leverage and control in maneuvering situations. Just a tip.
I've always ridden the same way for the same reason.

But I was looking at MotoGP photos the other day and saw Marquez riding with his heel next to the peg in every picture:
http://www.panotur.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/marc-marquez-motogp-2013-background-wallpaper.jpg

I haven't won any championships. But that feels awkward to me!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Could be with all the heel shots he's covering the brake. I guess that would make sense.

Hard to tell with a still photograph that's a split second in time.

Another strange thing Ive seen in photos is Rossi braking with his whole hand--all four fingers. Different from the usual one or two finger technique.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
What everybody said...you can adjust where the lever is up or down so you can fit your boot easier. And the balls of your feet is the way to go to prevent accidental shifting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts