Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been hanging around y'all's site for a while now reading and really trying to figure out what I want to do. I currently ride a 07 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 and it's a bad bike, wicked fast and handles like it's on rails. But I I'm to the point where I'd like to have something that's more fun just on a daily basis. Like riding to work, around town and still fun when I go to the real twisties. The twisties is where I really like my gixxer and gixxers are all I've ever owned so I'm hesitant on making the transition and I can't afford both and don't want one just to sit around. I really like the looks and how the fz-09 sits. My main concern is would I really miss all the power of my liter bike and it's handling. I do realize solutions for the suspension are defiently out there so think that would be easily solved but of course you will never be able to get the power of my gixxer out of the fz-09 but in all honesty I don't use it's full power as often anymore since I've gotten older. I like playing around riding wheelies and doing endos and everyone says this bike is great for all that. I also bought my bike new so that's another reason I hesitate but I really only ride it when I have time to go up to the mountains because it really isn't that much fun to ride back and forth to work or around town. Please chime in with your opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not a lot of substance to this answer, but ... no, you won't regret it. Brings a smile to my face any time I ride, sometimes just looking at it in the garage.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't have an FZ yet so this is conjecture based on all I've read, but my guess is that the power of the FZ up to at least 8k rpm or so will not be too far off what you get with the Gixxer, and the FZ is lighter. So for the type of riding you describe, you should be pleased with the power. To get the FZ's handling in the same ballpark you would probably need a new shock and reworked fork. My .02...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
my last bike was a gsxr750. the 09 is more fun to ride at sub-triple digit speeds.

if you like twisties, you'll probably want to put some money into the 09's suspension. the 09 is light (50 pounds lighter than your bike stock) and flickable, but if you manhandle it too much too quickly it upsets the stock suspension. which is a shame because the 09 is a bike that begs to be thrown around.

unless you do 100mph+ twisties or top speed runs regularly, you probably won't miss the gix1k's peak horsepower that much.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sounds like you would ride the FZ-09 more. It's more comfortable, easier to handle in traffic, and more fun a lower speeds. I've owned GSX, GSX-R, and GSX-G 1100's, and a GSF1200. I loved the motors. I know the GSX-R 1000 is light years better than the 11/1200's ever were - but I had the same feeling. The R was best specifically for going fast or curvy roads - but not so good commuting in traffic. Like Yoyodyne says - you'll probably want to put a better shock on the rear and either heavier oil in the forks or heavier springs - but it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hmm i doubt you'll have regrets with a new bike as nice as the fz09 anyway .. ive sat on one, sat on a few other things lately to and i'll tell you my opinion .. i ride a drz400s regularly on jaunts around here and to work alot and the fz feels about the same size 'between your legs' which is all about fun, and open, and just simple raw motorcycle feel and imo only, i think the fz would give me a similar daily experience sans brutal license-losing acceleration.. so im sure its fun and ALL motor, a blast in other words for around town. Of course its going to all come down to what you will be doing with it. From my point of view looking for a do-all bike with a really slick over-all look the fz is not .. its a bike you can have daily fun on and will wind up buying tons of upgrades for to 'finish' it heheh, but hey, that aspect 'can' be part of the experience and fun ...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have been riding a Ninja 1000 and love the bike. The problem is with all that power, wind protection, and great handling I find myself always going waaaaay too far above the speed limit. The bike just begs to go fast. I too had been looking at the FZ09 for a while now.

Well I stepped up to the plate yesterday. I put down a deposit for a Red FZ09 which will be here in a couple of weeks.

I grew up on dirt bikes and really like a bike with a light front end. Yep I love doing wheelies and the FZ is a wheelie king.

I like the idea that I can have the most fun from 10mph to 70mph on the FZ. The Ninja was great fun from 40mph to 125mph. Yikes!

I'm getting too old to be going that fast and putting down fast lap times.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I sold my 07 GSXR 1000 that I bought new for a FZ-09. It was a power house and on the freeway its comfort zone was @100mph. I really like my FZ-09 and its definitely a more all around usable bike. I will always miss that GSXR but in the end its just a GSXR and being an 07 its prob the best time to get rid of it. It's not going to go up in value, and if its as clean as mine was trade in or out right sell should cover most of the FZ price.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Once the suspension and ECU flash sort out, I can't see much bike being any faster than the FZ09 under 100MPH. Or meaning than you should not need that much more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
once i put nitrous and a turbo on a ninja1000 i doubt much will be faster than that .. this is the exact point ive run up against over and over trying to make a decision, that is, the fz 'needs some things' .. probably that was the marketing strategy to start with, still, its alot of bike in a price range thats attractive, until you get into several grand worth of upgrades anyway .. looking at it like that a candy blue ninja1000 starts looking sweeter ..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for everyone's responses. I really think I'd have more fun on it on an average day and without having to be in the triple digits. Just seems like it's the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi, I've been hanging around y'all's site for a while now reading and really trying to figure out what I want to do. I currently ride a 07 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 and it's a bad bike, wicked fast and handles like it's on rails. But I I'm to the point where I'd like to have something that's more fun just on a daily basis. Like riding to work, around town and still fun when I go to the real twisties. The twisties is where I really like my gixxer and gixxers are all I've ever owned so I'm hesitant on making the transition and I can't afford both and don't want one just to sit around. I really like the looks and how the fz-09 sits. My main concern is would I really miss all the power of my liter bike and it's handling. I do realize solutions for the suspension are defiently out there so think that would be easily solved but of course you will never be able to get the power of my gixxer out of the fz-09 but in all honesty I don't use it's full power as often anymore since I've gotten older. I like playing around riding wheelies and doing endos and everyone says this bike is great for all that. I also bought my bike new so that's another reason I hesitate but I really only ride it when I have time to go up to the mountains because it really isn't that much fun to ride back and forth to work or around town. Please chime in with your opinions. Thanks.
A funny thing about regret,Scrub,it's better to regret having done something,than to regret not having done it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts