Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

2014 MT-09 Melbourne, Australia. Stock bike 56,000 kilometers, lots of commuting.
After a lot of trouble and no end of Yam dealers knowing very little, product support in Sydney finally track down my fault as a worn out throttle body with backlash in the throttle actuator. The symptoms are surging and unstable throttle at less than 80kph.

The fix is an ECU software upgrade .Not a reflash like the tuners do, but new underlying software in the UCU. As we are in lockdown testing the bike has been slow. The upgrade is worth it. The bike is much less fatiguing to ride in town. However I can still feel the slack in the throttle body lashing around at slow speeds. Anybody else been in this situation?

I have a 3000km 2018 throttle body that I got for $200. I'll fit that when we are free again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Interesting. Seems strange that a mechanical fault was fixed by software. I'm suprised they did not recommend new throttle bodies

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. Seems strange that a mechanical fault was fixed by software. I'm suprised they did not recommend new throttle bodies

The new sw has a small dead band to ignore the mechanical slack. It works but isn't perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
I think real high traffic commuter bikes are most likely to suffer from this.
Yours seems to be the only one that I have heard of with any kind of TB issue.
Cw09 has over 150,000 miles on his bike and no problems with any fueling.
As a customer service many years ago Yamaha dealers had an ECU update to improve fueling and it did help-----a bit.
I'm pretty sure the problem with your TB is a cosmic curiosity and not a systemic defect.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yours seems to be the only one that I have heard of with any kind of TB issue.
Cw09 has over 150,000 miles on his bike and no problems with any fueling.
As a customer service many years ago Yamaha dealers had an ECU update to improve fueling and it did help-----a bit.
I'm pretty sure the problem with your TB is a cosmic curiosity and not a systemic defect.
I am relaying the advise of the Yamaha Australia customer service manager. There is a Yamaha service update and ECU software update to deal with this issue.

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
I am relaying the advise of the Yamaha Australia customer service manager. There is a Yamaha service update and ECU software update to deal with this issue.
There is nothing like that here in the US.
Perhaps the Aussie bikes have a different map to satisfy government regulations but I am positive the throttle bodies are the same and, I repeat, yours seems to be the only one with a problem.
It would be great if you could share what Yamaha is doing. Input from some of our other members that live in Oz would be helpful also.
What makes your situation strange is that your bike only has 56,000K on it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Interesting. Seems strange that a mechanical fault was fixed by software.

Correct, an ECU software update could alter the speed or accuracy of throttle body actuation but wont fix a "worn out" mechanical part.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correct, an ECU software update could alter the speed or accuracy of throttle body actuation but wont fix a "worn out" mechanical part.
It doesn't fix the problem, it reduces the problem. As is typical of software "fixes".

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think the issue here is a confirmation of what the problem really is. Your local people are saying there is a design fault that Yamaha admits to "... a worn out throttle body with backlash in the throttle actuator. The symptoms are surging and unstable throttle at less than 80kph."
Replies from other owners around the world finds that diagnosis to be unlikely.
And bikes with triple the miles not exhibiting the problem.
One of the replies on this thread is from a Yamaha dealer in the USA, unable to find any evidence of throttle body issue.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Australian MT Facebook page has two others that have experienced this. I'll email the service manager and get the service bulletin number.

Gecko, ring Yamaha and ask about it.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
690 Posts
If it were me I'd insist that they replace the worn out throttle body....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
615 Posts
There was only one software update that I know of in Oz from Yamaha for the 2014 ECU part number 1RC-8591A-00 in that update they changes the throttle progressions in STD mode nothing in A or B, small amount of ignition changes for STD, no AFR changes, it updated that part number ECU software to ECU part number 1RC-8591A-01.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts