Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had a 2 brother's exhaust on order for about 2 months, first I was waiting for a power-commander, then the ECU to be flashed. Today I took the whole setup out on the demo FZ-09 at my dealer. I was really excited about this!

Unfortunately, there were 2 major problems with this pipe:

1) It completely smoothed out the jerkiness of the throttle. This may sound like a good thing, but I have never had a problem with the throttle and always loved the torquiness of the bike. The ECU flash combined with the pipe made it feel like the bike was always in a more powerful B mode, regardless of the actual throttle setting. My initial, visceral gut-reaction was "oh this isn't as fun!".

2) The position of the pipe means your right ear gets an absolute pounding. By the time I got off the bike I had a headache, it's REALLY loud for the rider. The pipe is nearly dead underneath your head, so the sound isn't behind you. The dealer and I speculated that the shape of the pipe means non of the sound is deflected down and/or away from you, unlike the stock pipe.

For these 2 reasons, and the total cost, I ended up not getting it. So, just a head's up about this, I will probably wait for a Yoshi or look at an M4 can one day soon.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Interesting. Some of the things you didn't like, may be things other guys do like. I look forward to some other reviews. Thanks for posting rocket.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Who did the ECU flash? Was it a FlashTune or an ECU Unleashed flash and who actually did the work? I've heard absolutely NOTHING but good results from the Stoltec FlashTune flash and in fact, mine is there right now getting flashed along with the fuel mapping for the Arrow exhaust without the baffle in.

·
Registered
128 Posts
2) The position of the pipe means your right ear gets an absolute pounding. By the time I got off the bike I had a headache, it's REALLY loud for the rider. The pipe is nearly dead underneath your head, so the sound isn't behind you. The dealer and I speculated that the shape of the pipe means non of the sound is deflected down and/or away from you, unlike the stock pipe.
But doesn't loud pipes save lives? lol

In all seriousness, ear plugs are an easy fix. I have to wear them with my other bike.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You should wear earplugs when riding .

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
I am also an ear plug Nazi.
I cannot ride without them.
By the way, cost breakdown was looking like this (in Canadian moose-dollars)
$1249 - pipe
$450 - power commander
$400 - ECU flash
$200 - labor
$2574.88 after taxes

Instead, I bought myself a new seat and some Pazzo levers :cool:
Don't want to seem like an asshat... but:
2Bro Exhaust : $848.99
PCV: $294.11
Stoltec Map reflash: $125
Labor: $1 - $1,000,000
$1,269.10 - $1,001,268.10

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by Red Rocket View Post
By the way, cost breakdown was looking like this (in Canadian moose-dollars)
$1249 - pipe
$450 - power commander
$400 - ECU flash
$200 - labor
$2574.88 after taxes

Instead, I bought myself a new seat and some Pazzo levers

Don't want to seem like an asshat... but:
2Bro Exhaust : $848.99
PCV: $294.11
Stoltec Map reflash: $125
Labor: $1 - $1,000,000
$1,269.10 - $1,001,268.10
M 4 Slip on : $ 350

ECU Flash for M 4 : $ 250

Total : $ 600 give or take :cool:

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No doubt there are some much cheaper setups when it comes to the type of exhaust, whether you have a power commander, etc etc. Especially for you americans.

And yes, I typically wear earplugs about 50% of he time I ride, but I've never had to wear them like I would of with this setup, which I wasn't prepared for. My R6 had an insanely loud exhaust but because it was a typical setup behind you, you wouldn't get hit with it. If I'm going a little ways I won't put earplugs in, or staying off the highway.

So just some things to think about!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who did the ECU flash? Was it a FlashTune or an ECU Unleashed flash and who actually did the work? I've heard absolutely NOTHING but good results from the Stoltec FlashTune flash and in fact, mine is there right now getting flashed along with the fuel mapping for the Arrow exhaust without the baffle in.
I'm not sure who did it, I believe it was someone local to Vancouver but the dealer didn't specific.

·
Registered
31 Posts
But doesn't loud pipes save lives? lol

In all seriousness, ear plugs are an easy fix.
How do you provide them to the people on the street, so they can get them in, before you arrive?

The noise level is not only for the rider, but also the environment, they are riding through.
Just imagine your neighbours putting an exhaust with this noise level on their lawnmowers... ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just imagine your neighbours putting an exhaust with this noise level on their lawnmowers... ;)
I wish my Husqvarna riding mower sounded like my FZ does now with the Akrapovic!!! I'd mow my neighbors lawn and my own lawn 4 times a week!

Any pipe installed on the FZ09 will be basically in the same place and pretty loud without a DB killer installed. It's exhaust is very short and placement parallel to your right ear makes it sound even louder to the rider. It's not really louder, just seems that way. History shows a 2 Brothers pipe will most likely be the loudest and most annoying sound with no improvement over the quietest pipes. Your Canadian dollar price of $1249 for the pipe comes to $1131 U.S. So the dealer is charging almost $300 more than MSRP, which puts it right at the Graves price point and just above the Akrapovic price.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I wish my Husqvarna riding mower sounded like my FZ does now with the Akrapovic!!! I'd mow my neighbors lawn and my own lawn 4 times a week!
QUOTE]

I love it!

When I was a kid I installed a strait pipe with a megaphone on our lawn mower. Also ran Castrol R oil in it.

So every time I mowed the lawn I got enjoy the sound and smell of the race track.

How cool is that?

·
Registered
418 Posts
HAHAHA that's hilarious! Although I'm guilty of adding a little bit of Manhattan Oils Bubble Gum or Raspberry scent to my gas in my mower so it smells better. I used to put that in my 90GT when I would take it on the street. A built FI 306, .585 lift cam, Canefield heads and GT40 lower GUTTED by Fox Lake, Downs upper, 1 3/4 long tubes, Dr. Gas X pipe and Spin Techs dumped made the fumes pretty nasty when not running 110 leaded. The additive at least made 93 octane fumes smell good , but nothing like the 110 fumes. You could bottle the 110 leaded scent and motorheads would probably buy it by the gallon!!

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your Canadian dollar price of $1249 for the pipe comes to $1131 U.S. So the dealer is charging almost $300 more than MSRP, which puts it right at the Graves price point and just above the Akrapovic price.
All the happier I am I didn't go with it! I'll be interested to hear if the Akra is just as loud to the rider, if memory serves me correctly it's shaped away from the rider a bit, which in turn could steer some of the sound away.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yes it's angled slightly downward, but still parallel to your ear. It's very quiet with the DB killer in, but without it its pretty loud, a refined kind of loud if that makes sense. It's a very deep tone, deep enough that in the garage it set the alarm off on my BMW! And that wasn't revving, just backing it out at idle. No other exhaust out there for the FZ09 sounds remotely close or as good as the Akra IMO.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As a Canadian DIY type guy I am always shocked at how cheap and readily available aftermarket parts are in the US. For my diesel trucks we are often talking 500% more here. Injectors americans pay $125 off Ebay but don't ship to Canada are worth $600 here. Why I have a US mail forwarding service for some stuff. I totally believe $300 more than MSRP. Smaller market, higher freight costs require higher margins.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah I agree with you persons... I had an 07 Cummins ... every part for it in canada was ridiculously over priced!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the S1R also - yeah its pretty loud, even when I have the 7-8DB killer in it, but for me thats not really a negative. I wear plugs whenever Im commuting longer than 10 minutes though.

I havent noticed anything re. changes in throttle, id say thats more to do with your flash than the pipe. When I installed my pipe (pre-flash), nothing changed as far as initial throttle repsonse.

Changing CO settings and having the bike flashed however was another story though...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts