Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I signed for my Liquid Graphite today. Dealer still had it in the crate so I couldn't take it home today. Hopefully I'll have it home next weekend. So excited to finally have it after lurking here and reading all the upgrade and mod threads can't wait to ride it (probably won't be till April or May though) and start modding. It'll probably have a Marthy exhaust on it before it even leaves the garage for the first time. I'll post pics of it when I get it.

I know this is usually a pretty controversial topic, but what is the general consensus on breaking in this particular bike? And does anyone have anything to say about putting Pilot Power3s or Pilot Road3s on it? Or maybe Dunlop Q3s if they last about the same amount of miles as the Michelins? Thanks in advance, glad to have finally joined the club!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Congratulations, we've recently had a pretty good thread on break in procedures, I believe the post was by 'beck'. In my response I described how and why I would break in a new bike, but in hind sight and after watching almost every video on the FZ-09 I think this bike basically makes you break it in (correctly) by it's very nature, it would be hard to baby this bike (which you don't want to do) and with cnc machining, better materials/design & water cooling you can't hardly screw it up. I'd just say stay off the freeways with steady state cruise rpms and instead open up the throttle through the gears to keep manifold pressure high, what we want to do is force the rings with combustion pressure to seat themselves against the cylinder wall while the hone marks in the plated bores are fresh...Mark

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Break in (scuff) the tires first

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congratulations, we've recently had a pretty good thread on break in procedures, I believe the post was by 'beck'. In my response I described how and why I would break in a new bike, but in hind sight and after watching almost every video on the FZ-09 I think this bike basically makes you break it in (correctly) by it's very nature, it would be hard to baby this bike (which you don't want to do) and with cnc machining, better materials/design & water cooling you can't hardly screw it up. I'd just say stay off the freeways with steady state cruise rpms and instead open up the throttle through the gears to keep manifold pressure high, what we want to do is force the rings with combustion pressure to seat themselves against the cylinder wall while the hone marks in the plated bores are fresh...Mark
Thats good. Kinda what I was leaning towards for the break in, just wanted to hear some other opinions...guess I should have checked for a thread about breaking it in first. Staying off the highway is gonna be a hard one since I live at least 15 minutes away from the nearest town and 30-45 minutes from Fairbanks with nothing but a 55MPH highway between me and anywhere else in this state...I guess some of the back roads around base might work (just have to look out for Security Forces hiding in the side roads and parking lots lol :p)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Keep the tires around 30 psi or 28 to keep em warm in the cooed weather. Break it in hard.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome so I'll definitely follow motomans break-in meathod. Can someone tell me if the bike comes with synthetic or regular oil in it?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dino oil. Don't change to synthetic until maybe 3rd oil change. (Change oil @50 miles, 600 miles then around 1500 change to synthetic)...my 2 cents..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome I was hoping to not have to change the oil to dino oil as soon as I got it. Break-in is going to be fun/difficult since the only road to really ride on near me is a highway with a speed limit of 55...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Awesome I was hoping to not have to change the oil to dino oil as soon as I got it. Break-in is going to be fun/difficult since the only road to really ride on near me is a highway with a speed limit of 55...
Make sure there is ample space between you and other cars when you are downshifting. I took mine out very early sunday morning and froze my ass off but avoided a lot of traffic and could follow motomans technique without too much worry.

As others have said. Focus on 2nd and 3rd gear if you can't go higher.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Make sure there is ample space between you and other cars when you are downshifting. I took mine out very early sunday morning and froze my ass off but avoided a lot of traffic and could follow motomans technique without too much worry.

As others have said. Focus on 2nd and 3rd gear if you can't go higher.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Okay. Considering I live in alaska and by the time I'm actually able to go ride the sun will be up almost all day and night maybe I'll go out really early or really late and head away from Fairbanks...

And thanks to everyone for the congrats

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Picked up my Liquid Graphite today. Everyone was right, pictures don't do those wheels justice. Pics to come later tonight when I get home

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay so I have pics but they are too large to post...anybody know how to post large file size pics? I've seen it done from like Tumblr or other photo sights but idk how to do it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts