Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the back up on a pitbull stand and I'm trying different height settings on the Woodcraft but in every position I've tried I can gently push the bike forward with a couple fingers and it "falls" off the stand, stopping when the tire hits the stand handle. I'm scared to take the front wheel off with the bike falling forward so easily.

I hope I'm just doing something dumb, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
See here ...looks like the legs are not in a locked position watch this vid might make more sense ...
Yeah, I agree the legs don't feel locked. I'm curious if maybe the angle of the pin on my stand is incorrect, because when it feels "locked" the handle hits the tire as I push down, you can see it right at the beginning of the video I posted. That's why I ended up using two hands to pull the stand apart instead of just pushing down.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
It looks like on the Woodcraft it doesn't lock in to act as a rigid member...with only one bolt on either side of the legs.

The pitbull has two bolts on either side (4 total) which make the head unit very stable

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes your looks like a mouse trap the way it is .. do u have the right size PIN ?
Yeah 19mm, I just measured it to make sure they didn't send me the wrong one and it's definitely 19mm. The pin does feel like it has a bit of play, maybe a 20mm would help my situation. 19mm is what Revzilla listed for the FZ-09, maybe they're wrong...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you go one step higher on the adjustment ?
The stand doesn't have steps, it's just a sliding pipe with a couple bolts you tighten down to pinch it in place, I've tried a bunch of different heights, including as high as it will go, it didn't seem to help. I'll try again though for fun :)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I don't know...looks like a weird design with (2) points of rotation. Email the folks from Woodcraft.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help so far guys, I appreciate it.

I've been messing with it outside and I managed to get it into a stable position, I still have to pull it open like a mousetrap because otherwise it will hit my front fender and then tire as I push down on it, but once I had the bike up I let it fall forward and the pin finally caught it about a millimeter from the handle. the "falling forward" I was experiencing is actually from play in the pin, I just ordered a 20mm pin from Revzilla because I think it will make a huge difference.

I'm working on uploading a video of my latest attempt and I'll post it here when it's done in 30 min or so.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Hard to really tell ..is it much more stable ? Looks like it might be on the fence ether way..

·
Registered
635 Posts
Here's that video, things are becoming much clearer to me now :)

Looks like you need additional height from the stand to actually allow it to lock in correctly. Maybe a U shaped construct of 3/4 (or more) plywood for it to roll on would aid in this. One would have to ensure that one makes the legs wide enough so that it would not slide off, also possibly add side rails/tracks for the stand to follow for safety's sake.
* from what I've heard on the forum the FZ09 has a taller than normal triple tree/fork height which causes this issue with these stands thus a set of stable risers for the stand might be the answer for them to work as designed. Think of a them as a step stool for short bike stands.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm using GPI from eBay for front and rear - cost me less for both than the Woodcraft front - and very steady.

You need a 20mm pin, not a 19. You also need to make sure you are going properly into the hole in the headstock. There was a plastic cover on the bottom of my headstock that I had to pop out - did you remove it?

Put the stand next to the bike and adjust the height to where the base under the pin is 2 inches above the bottom of the headstock before you try to put it in. Hold the stand folded up and insert the pin - it should need to be lined up perfectly, and I have to push against the horn a bit to get it in.

It shouldn't make the bike want to roll forward, and the wheels on the stand should end up further forward than what yours are.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm using GPI from eBay for front and rear - cost me less for both than the Woodcraft front - and very steady.

You need a 20mm pin, not a 19. You also need to make sure you are going properly into the hole in the headstock. There was a plastic cover on the bottom of my headstock that I had to pop out - did you remove it?

Put the stand next to the bike and adjust the height to where the base under the pin is 2 inches above the bottom of the headstock before you try to put it in. Hold the stand folded up and insert the pin - it should need to be lined up perfectly, and I have to push against the horn a bit to get it in.

It shouldn't make the bike want to roll forward, and the wheels on the stand should end up further forward than what yours are.
I removed the plastic cover, and that's the hole I'm going into. the pin is going all the way in but it's just kinda loose, probably because it's 19mm. I ordered a 20mm pin from Revzilla last night, crossing my fingers that it'll get here before the end of the week.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts