Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Let's talk about peg position. Should the lowest peg position be:

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, everyone...looking for some feedback on rear sets. I will make no guarantees that the opinions and information presented herein will be incorporated into a final product, but I'm very much interested in your opinion on peg height.

Some general salient characteristics of the proposed kit:

1. Overall peg width (i.e. width of bike), narrower than factory pegs to bring foot position inward.
2. Adjustable peg position (non-pivoting, non-slip knurled pegs)
3. Adjustable between standard and GP shift patterns
4. Fully streetable (brake lever return spring and hydraulic pressure brake switch).

So the question deals with peg position. Please vote in the poll.

A teaser shot for you:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
If the lower/forward position on those protos is the same as stock then I think the upper/rear position would be perfect for me. My main reasons for rearsets is to move the rear brake so the shin armour of my boot doesn't touch the clutch, and to get my short legs up a bit to ease seating pressure on my inner thighs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I voted lower but don't have a strong feeling about that, just might be nice for touring.

At this time I'm not planning on getting rearsets for my 09, but if I do they will be Woodcraft. How easy is it to change the peg position? The brackets stay on the bike right?

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I voted lower but don't have a strong feeling about that, just might be nice for touring.

At this time I'm not planning on getting rearsets for my 09, but if I do they will be Woodcraft. How easy is it to change the peg position? The brackets stay on the bike right?
Adjustment is pretty easy. To fine tune the position, loosen the peg mounting bolt with an allen key enough to disengage the locating pin. Rotate peg to the desired position. If you want to make a coarse adjustment, you'll need to fully remove the bolt and move the peg to the alternate location.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Adjustment is pretty easy. To fine tune the position, loosen the peg mounting bolt with an allen key enough to disengage the locating pin. Rotate peg to the desired position. If you want to make a coarse adjustment, you'll need to fully remove the bolt and move the peg to the alternate location.
Can you get a key in there without loosening the main rearset mount? I know on mt Ninja I can't because of swingarm clearance. I could cut down a key to fit, probably.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TBD - clearance is tight, but will be able to evaluate this on the next set of protos. We're going to do our best to allow for adjustment withoug removing the rearsets. Its a minor inconvenience on your Ninja, but a downright PITA on the FZ09 due to the upper mounts being held in place with the swingarm axle.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Dave, seems you don't have age induced knee trouble. Yet. ;)

My legs in general don't like being too folded for too long though. Haven't had much in the way of injuries, just 56 etc.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The stock peg position is about as roomy and relaxed as you could ever ask for on a bike designed for any kind of sporty riding. On a set of adjustables, I see no reason why that shouldn't be kept as the lowest setting.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Higher / forward would be better for me I think, better grip on the tank. I'm about 5-9. 30 " inseam.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hi Nick,

Would there be any issues using the Woodcraft rear sets with your brake reservoir relocation kit? I sometimes touch the passenger pegs as it is so I'll definitely remove them when I get rear sets.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Nick,

Would there be any issues using the Woodcraft rear sets with your brake reservoir relocation kit? I sometimes touch the passenger pegs as it is so I'll definitely remove them when I get rear sets.
Right now, yes. I'm still deciding how that might be mitigated. If it can't be worked out, it might end up looking something like this:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts