Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike (2017 FZ09) is currently taken apart in the garage. I need help or guidance for installing these clip ons. I am having trouble with routing the clutch cable. I have read every post on this forum regarding the routing and switching to an FJ-09 cable. Currently I have the cable routed between throttle bodies #1 and #2, and under the airbox, but it didn't really seem to get me much more slack. I purchased an FJ09 clutch cables thinking it would give me more length. The first one i purchased from ebay but when i got it, it was the exact same cable i already had for my FZ. I purchased another from partzilla thinking the first cable was a mistake. The second cable which is for the FJ is still the exact same as the one I have. Both cables are the same length. Did Yamaha change the design and now uses the same cable across all platforms or am I missing something here? When I look at other pics of these handlebars installed on older model FZ09s, i notice people have a lot more length in the cable and can route in front of the key hole, i do not have that extra slack so am curious how others have achieved that.

Anybody who has the woodcraft clip ons installed on a 2017 FZ09, can you please chime in with guidance and tips for how you installed these on your bike successfully in the down position and how you achieved it?

· Registered
529 Posts
I am following this thread, he runs woodcraft clip ons

· Registered
133 Posts
i have woodcraft knock offs, i run the clutch cable along the left side frame just like stock and have no problems, see pictures
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Grey Bumper Rim Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design
es

Reactions: Gerber73

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
2014 Yamaha fz09
87 Posts
i have woodcraft knock offs, i run the clutch cable along the left side frame just like stock and have no problems, see pictures
View attachment 173765 View attachment 173766 View attachment 173767 View attachment 173768 View attachment 173769 es
not sure how long you’ve been running it like that but that crazy bend coming off the perch is where the problem is. It puts a lot of strain on the cable and will eventually break. That’s why people change them out for FJ or reroute them, to relieve the bend

· Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,365 Posts
Not being critical but I'm curious. Why buy a motorcycle with the handlebars in the traditional position if you're going to put clipons on it.

· Registered
2020 XSR900
38 Posts
Not being critical but I'm curious. Why buy a motorcycle with the handlebars in the traditional position if you're going to put clipons on it.
I’d ask a similar question to the guys that put big windscreens on their XSRs and MTs, and would likely receive the same answer - probably the engine. At least clipons look good.

· Registered
2014 Yamaha fz09
87 Posts
Yeah I’m not really understanding this question. People like to customize their machines. I changed out my bars for clubman and have a set of woodcraft clip ons along with rear sets. I love the look, sound, feel, really everything about the FZ/MT09 but wanted a more aggressive riding position. The same reason people buy super bikes and put on Helibars for a more comfortable position

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't mind the question at all. Like the others have said. I love the look and feel of the FZ/MT, just wanted to change it up and I really like the look of the clip ons on this bike. Just finished the install successfully which I will share soon with advice for future riders looking to do this same mod on their 2017+ models. So far I love the feel! It's aggressive without being too aggressive.

· Registered
2014 Yamaha fz09
87 Posts
Don't mind the question at all. Like the others have said. I love the look and feel of the FZ/MT, just wanted to change it up and I really like the look of the clip ons on this bike. Just finished the install successfully which I will share soon with advice for future riders looking to do this same mod on their 2017+ models. So far I love the feel! It's aggressive without being too aggressive.
its the perfect amount of tuck for this bike. I actually run the clubman bars a lot more, i prefer the look of them and get a bunch of compliment. I need to find a clean way to cover the Buell logo because i also get a lot of laughs for some reason after people see it. i need to put my rear sets back on since they look better in my opinio, i put the stock ones back on to try out some adjustable peg mounts, which actually work pretty well and are a lot less of an install

· Registered
Batmobile
1,195 Posts
I've run in both up and down 1" with the up position I had to route between throttle bodies and bend the metal end to fit, and even then it frayed on me fairly quickly. Now I run in down position with stock routing and I use one of the venhill clutch cables, I'll post the link when I get home and put a few pictures up if needed.

· Registered
Batmobile
1,195 Posts
Pretty sure this is what I got. Might be able to find it on eBay for a quicker turn around.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ok here is my write up on installing the woodcraft clip ons with the 1" riser and 10mm spacer in the DOWN position specifically for a 2017-2020 FZ09. I was able to install them successfully and after 200 miles, so far no issues. I ride and commute a lot so if any issues occur, I will update here. For future riders interested in this project, I have laid out what you will need to do to make this possible below.

1) 100% switch to the FJ09 clutch cable like everyone says, since it is a couple inches longer and it will give you that much needed slack. I didn't even need to reroute the cable through the throttle bodies under the airbox like others have done, and still have extra slack. I would recommend ordering from a reputable OEM parts provider such as Partzilla. I ordered my first FJ09 cable from ebay and was irritated to find that they had sent me an FZ09 cable instead.

2) You will need to order the 2014-2016 FZ09 OEM guage meter bracket to center your gauge cluster if you want to make this work and have everything be compact the way I have shown. The woodcraft clip ons set comes with a centering bracket for you to center your gauge cluster however it is not compatible with the 2017+ OEM gauge bracket. I ordered mine off Partzilla: https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=6b2ef7b7839bd99817c4fd48d5df5c6f237f37d9
I have read that for some riders, after relocating their gauge, they have issues accessing the keyhole for the bike. I have no issues at all with starting my bike even with gloves on. You can see from the photo i provided there is ample amount of space to access the keyhole.

3) I had trouble getting any slack for the electrical wire harness that connects to the gauge cluster after relocating and centering the gauge with the new bracket. If anyone knows how to get more slack out of the electrical wire harness, please let me know. I was almost about to give up and quit when I had one last idea. I found a couple rubber stoppers lying around in the garage and drilled some holes through them and used them to lower the bracket enough for me to plug the wire harness into the gauge with no issues. It is still tight and I may stop by the hardware store to find proper spacers to lower it a few more millimeters in the future but for now it works fine. I have circled it in the pictures below so you can see what I am talking about.

4) You will need to loosen the banjo bolt (not remove) connecting to the front brake master cylinder enough to turn it 90 degrees so that it doesn't conflict with the headlight frame.

With this configuration, i have just enough space to fit all the controls on the bars in a very tight and compact manner and still have enough space for CRG bar end mirrors. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

· Registered
Batmobile
1,195 Posts
I didn't feel much of a change in ergonomics, but it did make the front end more responsive and once I paired it with rearsets I was really happy and still comfortable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts