Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not because I can't control it, I absolutely love this bike. But I can't control myself....

We had some nice weather this weekend, so I was squeezing in as much riding as I could. I got pulled over for speeding when I got back to the city. There was no traffic ahead of me, and I just opened it up for a couple seconds because it's just so hard to resist on this bike.

I got nailed with a 5 mph over ticket, written down for 45 in a 40 mph zone (Just for the record, this is my first infraction ever, no accidents or tickets since I got my license about 7 years ago). I'm not even mad, because I got off ridiculously easy. The officer did not have a chance to get a laser or radar on me, but said he visually estimated I was going at least 70. I know I let off the throttle just before I hit triple digits, over double the speed limit... Stupid I know :( But like I said, realistically I got off easy, the officer was kind enough to do that.

Anyway, it just got me thinking about just how often I'm really pulling stupid stuff like that on the FZ-09... All the time! I drive my car like a grandma, and although both my Yamaha Warrior & Suzuki SV1000 are powerful, I've never ridden them quite as "recklessly" as I find myself riding the FZ. I seriously love this bike, I would say it's my favorite bike I've ever ridden. But that instance just made me take a step back, and realize how often I'm pulling "stunts" like this on the FZ. And now I'm wondering if it's really just more than I need, or if I can find a way to "tone it down", knowing that I'm not using the FZ to its full potential, even though the bike is begging to be ridden hard. I took it easy on the rest of the ride home that day and the whole time it just felt boring, I don't know how else to describe it.

Anyone else in a similar situation? I don't want to get rid of it (I've said it before, but I LOVE this bike), but I'm seriously considering something like the KTM 690 Duke instead if I can keep the fun factor while keeping the speeds more under control. I don't know how anyone on a 1000cc supersport does it :eek: I just don't want this thing to be the death of me.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
In the same boat...I have pulled multiple wheelies on major city streets in philly, like broad st and market right by city hall...each time asking myself wtf was I thinking. I can't help myself. I guess just keep your head on a swivel...I dunno, I think I need therapy

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've experienced moments like this too. Anyone who says they haven't are lying.

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well I'll tell you this: If you make one mistake and wreck her, you're going to be waiting months for the dang parts. Just keep that in the back of your head.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am not going near it. I am confident I would be off the back or in the ditch in no time. But then I am old and was a returnee only a few years back. I am lucky being in the UK and having the MT-07 to consider as an alternative (hope it make it your way sometime).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Seriously folks- We ride because it's fun. We are enjoying a great time in motorcycling technology and performance. It's not our fault that the roads and laws controlling them are outdated. But if you don't use your head, (the big one) you will pay the price one way or another. Go to a track day. Do bad things on the street. But use your brain.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Just ask yourself... WWJD?
I ask myself that every day, and am too often disappointed with what I did in comparison.

Stellmon, your thoughts come up in a similar manner. I'm usually a rule follower, but I truly understand the 'hooligan' rush that this motorcycle brings. Further, I admit on a few occasions failing to suppress what was probably the same impulse you experienced as described in your original post.

One of the few differences was there was no police officer nearby. I am amazed with how quickly the FZ-09 reaches triple digits, but keeping the fun factor within the speed limit is possible. Not easy, but possible. Now that I have some idea what the FZ-09 can do, I'm less tempted to push its limits (or mine, which would show up sooner).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well, I am an old duffer now, but have owned 59 bikes, many had much more power than the FZ 09.

Years ago, when out riding with my fellow road race buddies, things would get out of hand, on occasion.
We all sat down and said, WTF are we doing? I was one that had no issue with riding a smaller less powerful bike.
Most of us have heard the quote, " It is more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow".

Getting 110% out of something, is always more fun than, being restrained all the time.

Now days, I am very selective when, and where, the carbon gets blown out. It's all fun.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I can relate. No one buys this bike to go slow. I scare myself every time I ride this thing. There's a fine line between having a little fun and putting your life and other people at risk. What's great about this bike is you don't have to rev your engine to 10,000 to experience the power.

·
Registered
192 Posts
OP, not singling you out. Stuff I'll say here is very judgmental. I'm talking to myself, too as I post this. SO, please..no offense meant to you in any way. I have two massively powerful motorcycles and I like to take them to their limit as often as I possibly can. The key words are "possibly can) and those opportunities are few.

In a way, it depends on who long you hope to be able to ride. I cant even count the number of people I've met, and known, who want to get into motorcycles. Dirt or Street. It really does not matter.

There are some who jump on a motorcycle and instantly have to be the fastest. Some (two I know) got lucky and got really good. They became fast and went to track riding. One even makes a living doing so. Others crashed, and are not here anymore.

Most developed a sense of when to keep it in there pants, so to speak. Its embarrassing, and expensive, to appear in front of a judge. Especially when you are young. Lets say, under 30. The judge wants to make an example of you. That dynamic tends to change once your over 40. Cops tend to treat you better if you are older than them. But, any encounter with one has to be considered a loss. Rack up tow or three of these, and you'll soon have nothing to worry about,. Society will have offered control to compensate for your lack of control. Plus, many of us are tied to our driving record at work. I suppose a service tech could ride the bus, or skateboard?

Crashing really hurts. Thats bound to happen if you dont finds some self control. Most people, myself included, need a crash to set limits. I picked gravel out of my arms for years after my big one. It let me know 45 is really slow, but very fast when a bare arm is the contact point. My helmet was ground down to the inner foam layer. It still amazes me to recall how things went from great to not-so-great. We're talking seconds.

Most stop after an experience like this and become the ones who participate for 3-5 years, buy 2.5 bikes, then leave for the exciting world of boats and four wheelers.

Do you want to be around to have the chance to purchase a 2025 Yamaha fz2000, or do you wan to be in and out of the sport in five years? That is, if you survive? I developed a decent skill at knowing where and when.

I got into all kinds of trouble, back then. The late 70's , early 80's. Back then, it was ok to drive after a few drinks. It was a different society. 110 in a 50 zone was $45.00. and a scolding by the judge. I have no idea how it would be now.

A monkey coudl hold a throttle wide open, and ride fast in a straight line. It takes no skill. Give yourself years to get good at operating a motorcycle. Its an activity you can do in your 20,30, 40, 50, and for me, I'll try to keep going after that. Dont be like the rest of my riding friends who bought a bike, felt the need to impress someone, crashed, got fat, and took up golf. These guys are now may age, fat, but look really old. I suppose i had to stay in ok shape to ride my dirtbike. Its been a huge motivating factor in my life.

Sorry for the rant...I knwo no one really cares, or listens. But thanks...

You are on a very powerful motorcycle now. Somehow thsi bike got into the "beginner bike" category. If you could roll it back to 1980, it woudl be a competitive machine in AMA Superbike. Lights, turnsignals, and all. You cant ride this thing like you would a Ninja 250.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Remind yourself its your partner, treat it accordingly and respect it. What happens between your 4 walls its between you guys, you wouldn't do it out in public -would you?
The same goes for your bike, the 4 walls is the track... a controlled safe environment to push and curl every neuron between you guys ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
You guys are scaring me here. Are you guys married or have kids? Go to a track. Not that you can't get hurt there, but at least it's the right place. You are not allowed to become a statistic! That is an order!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
hooliganism is fine, just pick the right time and place for it. that's where the self-control comes in. doubling the speed limit when the road is wide open and clear isn't reckless in my book. but then again, i'm not the one writing tickets.

i've significantly exceeded the speed limit countless times, only ever got a speeding ticket once. i saw it as the universe trying to balance the scales a bit, making up for all those times i didn't get caught.

I just don't want this thing to be the death of me.
something is going to be the death of you. the 09 is hardly the worst on that long list.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Bobby Walnuts said it best when he put..."Time and Place" A motorcycle is very punishing should you get either of these wrong. If a new rider does not get that message FAST, they wont ever become an old rider. Even the size of the bike does not matter. One of my worst injuries was from breaking a Honda Helix scooter in half. Never meant for jumping...again, a time and place sort of thing.

·
Registered
734 Posts
i have ridden with people 2 up on 900 lb wings that are nuts . like when the passenger is pointing out the gravel in the corners .
like in Colorado speed limit going down the mountain 35, me doing 45 . them gone , 2up pulling trailers

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've owned a Mustang Cobra and a fairly beefed up Warrior (guess where my name comes from?) and other fast things but this thing just has "go juice" beyond belief. If it had a theme song it would be Breaking the Law - Judas Priest :evil6:

·
Registered
582 Posts
I agree and guilty as most, that there is a "time and place" but there is one element missing, FATE/Luck. You can control the time and the place and some places have proven more lucky than most. The unknown is the officer or wild deer, or another car taking a corner wide or whatever. Of course many risks are there even if going slow. When we crank the throttle we only have 2 of the 3 elements in our control. When Luck wins and Fate looses oh what Fun and guilty pleasures. Fate wins and Luck looses.... shit hits the fan. reminds me of famous quote by Dirty Harry, "you feel lucky, punk, well do you". but then again "Make My day" kind of applies to the FZ-09. lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts