Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does “conduit” just mean pipe with wires in it for buildings? Looking at the Wiki for it that seems to be the case. What is the flexible stuff for vehicles called?

I will be installing R&G LED Micro Indicators and want to run the wires though something flexible, protective, and neat tubing. The combined diameter of the wires is about 3.6mm, so an I.D. of 5mm or so. I will be cutting off the bullet connectors and crimping on OEM connectors.

Do you have a brand you like? Links please, Amazon, Home Depot, Radio Shack etc.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Loom! Thanks, I'm a bit dyslexic and besides conduit the only thing I could think of is loam and that isn't right.

Braided, maybe, but I had in mind something non porous and smooth. Searching Amazon there's a zillion split loom choices, and lots of braided and heat shrink.

Best match I can find is at McMaster, follow this down slip on and chemical resistant: McMaster-Carr

McMaster-Carr

Hmm, anything else to order from McMaster while I'm at it..

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Auto Zone and I think Wal-Mart sells wire loom....the plastic type that has a split down the middle that you just open up and put the wire in and its molded so that it closes by itself.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Vern, but I was looking for slip-on, not split, I'm going with the tubing from McMaster.

Adding this to the order: McMaster-Carr

I have a metric tape already but it's length and width is better for framing houses than working on bikes.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You can always buy some heat shrink tubing in whatever size you want and not shrink it...

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah Lucky, I was thinking of that, but it's a bit stiff. Though I don't know how flexible what I ordered is. Will see how it goes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Speaking of conduit(loom) I noticed on the FZ-09 there are 2 coolant hoses up front that are exposed to road FOD
The hoses in question are 11/4" and 1 1/2". I like to put the split conduit around these and tie wrap for protection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts