Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ride year round, riding a 100 mile commute, three days per week. Last December, when I got my FZ, there was no aftermarket support to speak of. I made this windshield for the winter. The plastic, old and yellowing, is from a 30 years old Plexi fairing shield that was laying around. I made the brackets from T-3 aluminum because the bend radius was too tight for T-6. When I went to mount the shield for this winter, I noticed a crack, indicating the end was near. Anyway, I'm in the market for a different one this year (maybe a little wider). I've looked at the Parabellum. I've had them on past bikes, and they're well made (although I think their brackets are too light a material). Motorcycle Vehicle Tree Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Car Auto part Rim Automotive exterior Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car Does anybody else change out windshields for the winter? Note: These photos were taken December '13 the wheels are black!:happy11:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
What's "winter?"

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Winter: what makes some really, really appreciate spring/summer/fall!
Life without contrasts, well, it's monolithic. :numbness:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the MadStad system and absolutely love it. Mark was a pleasure to work with and answered all of my questions when ordering. I have the 22" windshield and the fly screen. They are both easily interchangeable and the windshield can be adjusted to suit your preferences. I don't work for them, so this is not a sales pitch, just a really great product. It is a little pricey, but it is definitely worth the money.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Lol yeah FL has one season. Sometimes it really hot and sometimes is chilly. But the season doesn't change. Someone called Fl the Toilet of the USA. All the old crap gets washed down here.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The only problem is the Yamaha windshield isn't available until March 2015. :(

And OUCH!!!! the full windshield kit is $328.24 US.

Twisted Throttle has some windschields for $107.50 to $174.99

FZ-09 '14 - Yamaha - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com

Not quite as tall, but the MRA VarioTouringScreen Windshield with the adjustable spoiler might be tall enough.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Winter: what makes some really, really appreciate spring/summer/fall!

Life without contrasts, well, it's monolithic. :numbness:
What's mono-lithic....??? I think I had it in High School.:)

Reactions: Desert Rat

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Lol yeah FL has one season. Sometimes it really hot and sometimes is chilly. But the season doesn't change. Someone called Fl the Toilet of the USA. All the old crap gets washed down here.
You can't beat the weather and the roads down here -- I'm a Master of Riding straight. I'm honestly able to go out riding on a Sunday for a full hour and only make three turns....only in Florida.:cool:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Jeez those windshields look like they would put a shitload of force into the mounts. Not sure how much torque and vibration abuse the headlight housing and mounts can take. Time will tell!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jeez those windshields look like they would put a shitload of force into the mounts. Not sure how much torque and vibration abuse the headlight housing and mounts can take. Time will tell!
Madstad's base ties to an extra point that is hard mounted so the big issue is the rubber wellnuts. To alleviate that, I am making bracing to come down from the V-Strom brackets to go to another brace probably under the mirror mounts. No worries... it's better than most of the aftermarket ones out right now.

Best,

Don

1 - 20 of 22 Posts