Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With temperatures dropping across the U.S.A., I was curious as to who still rides during these frigid times?

What is your threshold? How cold is too cold?

I am in Texas, and we are getting some nice cooler weather coming our way and I plan on riding out at the crack of dawn when its a nice cool 36 Fahrenheit.

ATGATT PEOPLE!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'll ride in sub freezing temps but as soon as the salt hits the road that's it for me. It takes a few rain showers in the spring to rinse it all off again and I'm not about to clean it off during the winter months so it's better off looking pretty in the garage. I've ridden into the 20s but not since I've had this bike. It's probably seen around 30 a few times these last few weeks though.

There's road salt in the very near future and an active forecast for the next few days so this past weekend may have been the last ride of the season for me.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'm done too...for today anyway.:)

image.jpg

·
Registered
341 Posts
It's not the temp here, rode all last winter. It's the back roads that get frost or a little ice, and never see the sun. Makes some corners fun. Rode last February after the superbowl, temps were down in the teens. Not saying it was fun, but hey, what are you gonna do? Froze my ass my off.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I will still use the bike for commuting purposes down to the mid 30s as long as they haven't started putting salt down for the year. Pleasure rides however don't happen below 50 degrees. I don't trust my tires to perform as well as I would like in those temps, and the amount of gear I need to layer up with hinders mobility at those temperatures, so I can't get my body into it.

·
Banned
739 Posts
Here in Northern Ohio, if the roads around my development are dry and free of salt/ice and the sun is out I've always been able to get mine out for a quick spin around the complex. Only about a mile and a half, but what the hell. Just feels good to get the engine running and smell that exhaust for 10-15 min. Temps are usually somewhere in the mid 30's. My bikes have never sat for more than 3 weeks or so. Do that about 3-4 times and the winter is over.

·
Super Moderator
4,353 Posts
I'm done until the temps get back up into the upper 60's. Which could be anytime. I'm not riding the FZ in cruise mode.
If I can't give it a good go, it's just no fun. I will get the DR out on some Forest Service roads
when we have some dry days and it's above 50F.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I'll ride as long as the roads are ice free. Temp doesn't matter the rides are just shorter.

Reactions: VERSYS8

·
Registered
50 Posts
1 to 3" of snow forecast here tonight. I'm done riding and the bike was picked up by the dealer yesterday for service and winterizing. I draw the line at 40 degrees here in n.h.

·
Super Moderator
4,353 Posts
Kinda sorry to hijack this thread for a moment...
Wow, you are pretty close to Acworth. I loved riding up your way. Crappy pavement though. My buddy in Acworth is Chris Noonan, a great rider and occasional racer in the Loudon Vintage Series. Chris showed me many great roads all up through the river valley. I was there two weeks before the terrible flood two or three? years ago. His departed brother, Greg Noonan, founded the Vermont Pub and Brewery.

VT HWY 100 was a favorite of mine.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Well then last day of riding here was last Saturday and there were a few other guys out when I was riding around. But then the temperature dropped like a rock that night and it started to snow and didn't stop for a couple of days. I can handle the cooler weather, that isn't the issue. It's the black ice and shortening daylight hours that help end things. Not to fun to ride in the morning when it is still dark out and you can't see the ice on the road.

Hours.JPG

No fun when you have to ride to work in the dark and ride home in the dark as well. The days get shorter and shorter from here on out.....

·
Registered
272 Posts
In northern Calif I can ride most all the winter but limit it to nice days and day rides because I prefer to ride in the dirt. downside is I have to drive 3 hours to snowski. RR :cool:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wish I was still riding :( This morning I woke up and the thermometer said it was -32 Celsius so now starts the 6 month off season.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been layering up to the point of ridicule but if it's not above 50 all that is more hassle than enjoyment. For those of y'all that venture out in colder temps do you use any heated gear? I've been looking into some of these items but increasingly start to believe that the various detrimental factors brought on by the cold don't justify it. I do plan on going on short neighborhood cruises if conditions permit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts