Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just picked up a 2017 FZ-09. Looking at a few upgrades to do some touring with the bike also.
Anyone have opinions on the Yamaha and Shad comfort seats?
Saw the Puig touring screen. It looks nice but worried that your head will still get too much wind for longer rides. Was looking at the Madstad clear touring screen with the dark fly screen around town. I'm 6'1" and 32in inseam. They recommended the 22in. Read on a thread that the bigger windshields can put stress on the headlight assembly? Other options for touring?
Any thoughts on luggage? Givi and Shad seem to be popular. Like the idea of having extra room in a top case and something for a passenger to lean up against but worried how it might look without the luggage so thinking maybe just the saddlebags. Do I need to get rid of those giant blinkers in the back? Thinking about the TST industries integrated tail light and fender eliminator.

Appreciate any tips.
Thanks,
Rustin

·
Registered
176 Posts
Only thing I can comment on is the TST int. tail light. Got it in smoke, phenomenal product. I have many of their products, good company.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a 2014 FZ-09 with Madstad 22 inch windshield. I simply put 4 metal screws with washers in place of the original mounting screws. Been on there for years with no problems even at over 100mph. Your 2017 requires different mounting than my 2014 so just saying this because I like their product.

The Shad seat was an improvement over stock and the Seat Concepts foam/cover kit offered long ago. I sold it because the Sargent seat fit me better and allowed some moving around if my butt started hurting and it usually went away. Just know that a Sargent seat is like sitting on a wood park bench. I suggest that if you buy a replacement seat, buy it used. You may have to go through a couple before your butt is happy. Easier to sell a used seat for closer price you paid than buying new and selling it. You are tall enough that getting more padding should not be much of a problem and should ad some comfort. With my 28 inch inseam, seats had to be pretty thin. I don't ride double so if you do, get a seat that has a big back end with padding, Your passenger will then ride more often, for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts