Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an Ermax Sport 25 cm windscreen a few weeks ago. I have since installed a GPR v4 steering damper complete with the included taller bar clamps. Now the speedo/tach bracket touches the windscreen. I tried using whatever "play" there was in the connections to remedy the contact but nothing worked. In the interim I put 3M film on the bracket at the contact point. It does not seem to vibrate/rattle, but I am OCD about this kind of stuff so I am not likely to leave it this way for long, and I am looking for a clean solution. It looks like there are a few obvious options:

(1) Fabricate a bracket to relocate the speedo/tach. I have obtained a small piece of 5052 aluminum in order to try this approach, but I am not optimistic about success. If anyone has done this I would like to see some photos.
(2) Trim the windscreen to alleviate the contact. While it seems like a simple solution, I am not certain how to do this without making a mess of it.
(3) Remove the Ermax and/or the GPR - not likely to remove the GPR!
(4) Sell the Ermax and purchase another windscreen.....really hoping to see the Puig screens available soon. This might be the solution for me but I really like the Ermax
(5) TBD - any ideas?

I have not made my mind up yet. Please post if you have a GPR and a windscreen/flyscreen installed and you are finding no issues with conflict (including with the OEM brake reservoir and other components). Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm not sure how the Ermax screen mounts up, and I did not research it either, so this may not be helpful. Could you possibly put some spacers/washers to the bolts which hold the screen on to slightly raise it up some? I believe I recall someone doing this to a Fabbri wind screen...

Just a thought.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure how the Ermax screen mounts up, and I did not research it either, so this may not be helpful. Could you possibly put some spacers/washers to the bolts which hold the screen on to slightly raise it up some? I believe I recall someone doing this to a Fabbri wind screen...

Just a thought.
The Ermax screen has plastic angle shape brackets that make use of the existing fasteners. Then the screen is fastened from the sides to well-nuts set into the sides of the brackets. Adding shims/washers to the screen connections didn't help. I thought about reaming/slotting the screen mounting holes but there is not much tolerance at the low end of the screen either. It would likely scrape the headlight housing.

Yes, I saw that thread. I will look for a Canadian vendor to save on tax/duty, but a Puig might be the answer. Before I go there I want to hear from someone that has a Puig and a GPR.

It clears the 33cm screen.......barely
I am somewhat surprised to hear that but it is good to know.

·
Registered
277 Posts
With clubman bars and a radial master cylinder, the OEM Yamaha screen fits with minor modification due to the clutch cable.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It clears the 33cm screen.......barely
Is that the Ermax or the Puig 33 cm screen?

Has anyone with a GPR steering damper mounted a Puig windscreen? Does the speedo/tach bracket touch the windscreen?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump.....I am still hoping to hear from someone that has a GPR steering stabilizer and a Puig windscreen mounted; both styles. I am curious whether the gauge cluster conflicts with the windscreen, as it does on the Ermax 25cm windscreen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Puig Sport 250mm windscreen touches the gauge cluster, I was thinking of potentially getting some 1/4"-1/2" spacers between the headlight assembly and the mounting brackets but that may present some new issues especially at speed so I may leave it as is =/

·
Registered
962 Posts
Get a couple of rubber piano mutes from a music store and use them to change the angle of your screen. They are a cheap wedge shape piece of rubber that come in 3 inch or 6 inch lengths by 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. The 6 inch should give you more than enough clearance - the 3 inch would be twice the angle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts