Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had 3 different fly screens on my FZ.

Ermax 15mm......... Puig Sport....... and now the MRA double bubble.

The Ermax provided the least wind protection and created the most turbulence about stomach level.

Puig Sport is the smoothest in regards to turbulence. The flow with it is very laminar and hits you about mid chest.

I just installed the MRA a couple of days ago. It definitely provides the most wind protection with it hitting around the shoulder to base of the helmet. I really like this screen except it tends to make the front end of the bike feel twitchy above 70mph. It feels like it is on the verge of doing a big head shake at any time. I am still exploring this effect so the jury is still out.

Would love to hear from others that have the MRA double bubble. Has anyone had the front end go into a bad head shake with this shield? Or does it just feel like it might?

http://www.solomotoparts.com/MRA-Double-Bubble-RacingScreen-Windshield-for-FZ-09-14/

Head shake update.

Probably have 10k miles on the screen now and never have had any actual head shake issues with it. For sure my favorite screen for the bike.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I don't have the Ermax, so can't comment on that. But, I have the Puig Touring screen. It takes away all upper torso wind shear and is turbulence free. As installed, the bottom edge of the wind hit the lower edge of my helmet. It's not excessive, but I get wind noise on the helmet. So, I added 1/4 " of flat washers on the upper mounting bolts between the screen mounting bracket and the Yamaha bolt holes to tilt the top of the screen forward. This moved the wind up to the middle of my helmet and got it off my neck. I still have some wind noise, so I plan to tilt it 1/4 to 1/2 " further forward and see if that works. I need to buy longer bolts first, so planning that as soon as possible. I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam for comparison. I took it to 100 mph with both setups and had no noticeable front end instability.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I love the idea of comparing multiple brands of the same part in 1 thread. I have the MRA touring screen, wind still hits my shoulders and head, zero buffeting, and 85 with it feels like about 50 did when the bike was naked. love this thing. the pic shows it and the barkbusters so just ignore the barkbusters, put them on the same day so no pics of just the screen. no instability issues and it is a double bubble design, kind of wondering if this is the same screen your talking about? (double bubble is a zero gravity model name)
7.jpg

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love the idea of comparing multiple brands of the same part in 1 thread. I have the MRA touring screen, wind still hits my shoulders and head, zero buffeting, and 85 with it feels like about 50 did when the bike was naked. love this thing. the pic shows it and the barkbusters so just ignore the barkbusters, put them on the same day so no pics of just the screen. no instability issues and it is a double bubble design, kind of wondering if this is the same screen your talking about? (double bubble is a zero gravity model name)
View attachment 14383
This is what and where.

MRA Double-Bubble RacingScreen Windshield for FZ-09 14 - SoloMotoParts.com

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hawker,

SoloMoto says that it increases downward force which could give you bad effects. You could try tilting it up or down to see if that makes any difference. Your down force could be too much or it could even be too little.

·
Registered
123 Posts
it would be helpful if peeps said how tall they were. What delivers no buffetting for a short guy might be a miserable ride for a tall guy.

btw, I like my Madstad fly screen.

·
Registered
260 Posts
it would be helpful if peeps said how tall they were. What delivers no buffetting for a short guy might be a miserable ride for a tall guy...
I am 6'-2", 34" inseam and sitting at a table with shorter people often makes me feel short...all my length is below my waist. That being said, I have the Puig touring screen and the wind from the screen hits me about shoulder height with stock handlebars. Have had no front end wobble / wiggle above 100.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have the Fabbri Gen-X Touring Screen.

Fabbri Gen-X Touring Screen for Yamaha FZ-09, PJ's Parts

It is perfect for me, I'm 5'10" and a little, at posted speeds it is prefect, my chest is protected my head/helmet is in smooth air.

I finally had enough miles on the bike to let it have its way with me on Skyline between Skyline, AL and Winchester, TN ( don't tell anyone).

at 110 mph indicated in the sweepers I was tucked in a little and still had good wind protection. No felt input to the steering.

This is a very nice piece with good hardware, and no "bellybutton". What is that on the Puig anyway?

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
+1 for the Madstad fly screen. Not a lot of wind protection but smoooth air (I'm 6'1"). It also has the most solid mount I've seen out of the current screens for this bike.

·
Registered
654 Posts
it would be helpful if peeps said how tall they were. What delivers no buffetting for a short guy might be a miserable ride for a tall guy.

btw, I like my Madstad fly screen.
5'10" 30" inseam. the touring one has a couple inch gap between the headlight and the screen in the middle, so there is very little negative pressure behind it

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have had 3 different fly screens on my FZ.

Ermax 15mm......... Puig Sport....... and now the MRA double bubble.

The Ermax provided the least wind protection and created the most turbulence about stomach level.

Puig Sport is the smoothest in regards to turbulence. The flow with it is very laminar and hits you about mid chest.

I just installed the MRA a couple of days ago. It definitely provides the most wind protection with it hitting around the shoulder to base of the helmet. I really like this screen except it tends to make the front end of the bike feel twitchy above 70mph. It feels like it is on the verge of doing a big head shake at any time. I am still exploring this effect so the jury is still out.

Would love to hear from others that have the MRA double bubble. Has anyone had the front end go into a bad head shake with this shield? Or does it just feel like it might?

MRA Double-Bubble RacingScreen Windshield for FZ-09 14 - SoloMotoParts.com
I installed the Puig sport after having nothing then having the yamaha fly sheild and I'm super happy with the Puig sport.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
80 degrees here today. So took a couple hour ride.

Was wearing a T-Shirt up top so I could feel all the wind.

Gotta say I really like the wind protection of the new screen.

I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hawker, I've been rollin with the MRA DB for over a year now & really like it. Never experienced any of the issues with fr. end feel. I'm 5' 10".

·
Registered
59 Posts
Double bubble will be here tomorrow or the next day. I'll post a review after I get some miles on it

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have had the MRA DB wind screen and have never experienced any head shake or wobble of any kind even at 100 mph. I have also taken it on long rides and no issue whatsoever. I am 5'9" and get wind at the bottom of my helmet/above the shoulders. Much less tiring when doing long highway/freeway jaunts...

image3.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
MRA Vario touring here. Wind hits top of shoulders & neck w/airfoil retracted and about middle of face shield when fully extended. No huge impact on bike stability, but I rarely hit triple digit speeds. I'm 5'11'"ish and more leg than torso.

Hawkerjet, some of my bikes, with factory set up, have felt "light" on the front end at high speeds; as if the wheel was barely touching the pavement. Usually firmer front rebound, less preload or raising the fork tubes in the triple clamps solves this for me. Essentially I'm just trying to lower the front of the bike; changing the front to rear balance. If you go too far, the steering can become very sensitive to any steering input, bump, wind gust. I don't know how your suspension is modified/ upgraded, but this technique has always worked for me. I come from Ducati land. I like firm solid "turn you sob! turn!" type of steering.

If I've stated some huge no no, please more knowledgeable folks, chime in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone tried the 16" wind shield Yamaha sells on their accessories website? looks pricey but a good fit... like to here if anyone has.

FZipper09

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the MRA touring screen. When I first installed it I thought it felt a little like it was pushing the bars around and maybe the beginning stages of a tank slapper. It was at a speed of about 80 and I would back off the gas and reduce speed. I added a little alum piece from the mount down to the bolt on the forks to get a solid mount point and see if it helped. It didn't. But if I drive it through 80 and take it up to 115 - 125 mph there is no shake or wobble. So I guess it is only at that speed when I am in a certain riding position.

Note: I just added a new steering damper (the chinese one that Marthy has) and there is now no shake or wobble and the bike feels like it is on rails at speeds above 120. Whole new bike (again). : )

MRA.06.065.T-214.jpg

http://www.solomotoparts.com/MRA-TouringScreen-Windshield-for-FZ-09-14/

Reactions: Hawkerjet

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
MRA Vario touring here. Wind hits top of shoulders & neck w/airfoil retracted and about middle of face shield when fully extended. No huge impact on bike stability, but I rarely hit triple digit speeds. I'm 5'11'"ish and more leg than torso.

Hawkerjet, some of my bikes, with factory set up, have felt "light" on the front end at high speeds; as if the wheel was barely touching the pavement. Usually firmer front rebound, less preload or raising the fork tubes in the triple clamps solves this for me. Essentially I'm just trying to lower the front of the bike; changing the front to rear balance. If you go too far, the steering can become very sensitive to any steering input, bump, wind gust. I don't know how your suspension is modified/ upgraded, but this technique has always worked for me. I come from Ducati land. I like firm solid "turn you sob! turn!" type of steering.

If I've stated some huge no no, please more knowledgeable folks, chime in.
I have a pretty firm suspension set up. AK-20's up front and a Penske double clicker on the back. Sag at 36mm both ends. Forks are at stock height. Penske has height adjust so the rear is raised a few mm above stock. This has the same effect on steering as lowering the front end.

From time to time I will wiggle the bars, kind of a self induced head shake to check stability. With the Puig Sport at speed, it never felt like the shake would progress on its own. Do this with the MRA and it feels like it just might continue and progress on its own.

Doing a 2nd gear gas on and no clutch wheelie with the Puig the bars were solid with the front wheel in the air. I did this with the MRA and got a little wiggle in the bars with the front wheel in the air.

That being said the front never has begun to head shake on its own with either shield. It just feels like there is less margin with the MRA.

I like the MRA so much I doubt I will ever go back to the Puig.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had the MRA DB wind screen and have never experienced any head shake or wobble of any kind even at 100 mph. I have also taken it on long rides and no issue whatsoever. I am 5'9" and get wind at the bottom of my helmet/above the shoulders. Much less tiring when doing long highway/freeway jaunts...

View attachment 14431
Hey Jugger good lookin mellow yellow.

You are in canyon country. Man its a shame you did not join us on the San Diego ride a few weeks ago.

We had a dozen FZ's show up and a few other bikes too.

It was a total blast for old and young alike.

Next time gadget... next time.:cool:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts