Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha MT-09
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2020 MT-09 today. I used to have a 2015 FZ-09, and I had ordered the tall VStream windscreen before I read on this forum about how loud it was, pushing wind at the helmet. Before I order something for my new MT, I wanted to ask here. I’m 5’10”, and I really just want something for winter riding, to keep wind off my chest, and if possible, off my shoulders too. Any experiences to share? Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts

GIVI brand. I really think it fits the bike well. I can’t compare it to others but it made a difference and creates a nice little pocket for light storage. I almost wished I would have bought a black instead of smoke.

·
Registered
260 Posts
View attachment 162370

GIVI brand. I really think it fits the bike well. I can’t compare it to others but it made a difference and creates a nice little pocket for light storage. I almost wished I would have bought a black instead of smoke.

I have one of these fitted to my 2020 SP, with a small cheap deflector fitted on top, which appreciably lifts the wind-blast to near the top of my helmet visor (I'm 177cm tall). Recommended.

Some pix and other comments may be found in my current Thread titled FARKLING MY NEW 2020 MT-09 SP

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha MT-09
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for those recommendations guys! I've got some more thinking to do. Also, since I still have two National Cycle VStream shields from my FZ-09 (the tallest "touring" one and the shortest "sport" one), and I know that the mounting bracket would be completely different for my 2020 MT-09, does anyone happen to know if the screens themselves might be the same? I ask because, if so, I could buy the cheapest VStream for my MT, use the bracket and be able to use my old screens. I'm guessing they're not compatible, but I thought I'd ask.

BTW, @MX429 , that's an awesome looking bike!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I like my Fabri Gen X . You can see it to the left in my icon. They have different heights and some are asymmetrical, mine is not. Along with clip on handlebars I can easily lean over the tank get clean air. Even upright it works well.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha MT-09
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like @bill64 has the inventory to give a good comparison. Can you point me at the tall Yamaha screen online? The only ones I see on the Yamaha site are the “MT-09 Sport Screen” and the “MT-09 Front Cowl”.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The stock Yamaha sports windscreen.

It's the tallest screen you can get it makes a huge difference, up to at least 140km/h.
I am 178 cm tall.
Screen takes all of the wind away from my chest, and I haven't really noticed it getting my head, but the Shoei helmet was always very loud.
It's also mostly clear so it doesn't impact the overall look of the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the short OEM ,the Givi ,the tall Puig and the touring OEM.The best by far as regards wind protection and quality is the tall Yamaha.I'd like to try the MRA.
I bought the MRA and it looks great and works well if you tuck but if you are just riding I am 5'10" and the wind hits me right in the face and I get alot of wind buffeting so I just stuck with my little Rizoma for cosmetic looks lol.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I bought the MRA and it looks great and works well if you tuck but if you are just riding I am 5'10" and the wind hits me right in the face and I get alot of wind buffeting so I just stuck with my little Rizoma for cosmetic looks lol.
Thank you for the reply!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here's another vote for the MRA Racing Screen. Eliminates all chest blast in favour of smooth airflow across the upper helmet. Much butter than the $40 Amazon cheapie I tried previously.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts