Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys could you please share your experience with wind fatigue while riding different types of motrocycles. Will riding Super Sport really cause that much less wind fatigue compared to naked bike? Commuting 60 miles (freeway) each way, will switching from naked bike to super sport help? By getting windscreen and protaper handle bar which will give more sporty position on Fz make a significant difference with wind fatigue and can it be compared to Supersport with the above mentioned mods. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts. Appreciate it.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I've got no experience with SS, but on windy days it's obvious I'm exhausted after being blown for an hour or two.

I've got the Puig Sport Screen made for the FZ09 and on a windy day it's not enough, however on a windy day nothing IMHO is going to make much of a difference. The day-to-day look of the bike is more important to me than planning for that really windy day.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 3rdgear

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I have my FZ6R set up as S/T bike. Puig touring screen, Renthal 787 handlebars (similar position as FZ09) and the whole cases set up. The wind blast on the FZ09 is more noticeable for sure, even with my little FZ1N Puig screen but the air is very laminar, no buffering. On the FZ6R the air goes over the helmet for the most part but all depend witch way the wind blows or if I follow a car, I get some helmet buffering.

So it all depend on what you can handle the best. For me the FZ6R is more comfy for long flat slab miles. Engine is very smooth and I can carry stuff to go ride for a whole week... or more. I can handle the FZ09 on freeway too (Did 900 miles in 14 hrs strait last summer) but this is not why I got this bike.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Having any type of windshield on any bike helps with wind fatigue, I'd bet the guys that have a windshield on their fz experience less than someone like myself that doesn't. Granted depending on the height of the windscreen results may vary

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
It's a great question and an interesting comparison.

I haven't ridden a supersport for a long length of time but even the short ride that i did on a Ducati 848 - my hands and legs were killing me. It pushed wind very well but the ergo's hurt more.

I took a Ducati Multistrada S through a 400 mile ride around Vermont last summer - wind fatigue was non existent on my body but the windshield even at its highest position hit me right in the helmet - that was annoying but the bike was fun. In combination with comfortable ergos - it was the best of the 3 i'm comparing here in terms of fatigue and wind but heavy as sin and not as manuverable as the FZ - it wouldnt be a daily rider for what i do.

Lastly the FZ barely pushes any wind for me with the factory yamaha screen. It is more aerodynamic compared to my previous SV650 - i'm not sure what it is but that bike was just horrendous on the highway. The FZ is tolerable but i've done a lot of highway models - it's not the most enjoyable on this bike - though on long rides (300+ miles) the ergos are what make it tolerable - i'll take wind fatigue over body fatigue from poor ergos any day of the week.

I'm 6'0 just to ground my observations. At the end of the day i think ergos are most important but that's just me.

·
Registered
833 Posts
After a couple blasts over 100mph and some highway drones at 80mph, I know I needed some wind protection. You don't get great wind protection on a SS unless you are tucked, some but not great. You can get the "double Bubble" type on most SS which help some.

Reactions: 3rdgear

·
Registered
55 Posts
The wind never bothered me on my SV650S, even riding with one hand on the bar. But on the FZ, riding with one hand at highway speeds is all but impossible for me as I felt like a human sail. Anytime I cruise on the highway I'll just slide back on the seat so I lean forward a bit which has worked well for me.

But I must say, I love the ergos of the FZ. I sat on an SVS the other day and questioned how I rode like that for three years, especially for long distances; I felt so crunched!

·
Registered
62 Posts
The need for wind protection is a function of Speed and Duration of the ride. If you plan on riding slow, you can go almost indefinitely without wind protection, also if you want to go really fast you can only go a short time without wind protection. Obviously it is different for everyone, but for me This basically represents my comfort curve without wind protection. I can ride longer than the indicated curve, but it is just not comfortable.

Comfort Curve.JPG

When I have my Mad Stad Touring Screen, the comfort curve is basically flat, as wind plays next to no influence on my comfort.

·
Registered
474 Posts
it sounds like you are asking how to commute in comfort, and as most are pointing out, that is not typically accomplished with a SS bike. Yes they are more streamlined, and tucked in you will slip through the wind better, but you might be complaining about back or knees. Have you considering a sport touring bike , or an FJ-09?

Personally speaking on the FZ & Puig touring windscreen I have no issues wind fatigue. I just stretch at the gas stations.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Super Sports, even with a full fairing and a windscreen really, in my opinion, do not block a lot of wind unless you tuck up in behind the windscreen.....even in the sportbike riding position. The difference is that they allow more room to tuck at higher speeds when needed, than a naked bike does. YMMV.

Reactions: jens

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Just get yourself a touring style windscreen and the fatigue factor will drop off dramatically.

FZ-09 '14 - Yamaha - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com

I have a MRA Vario Touring Screen with the adjustable spoiler, and I find it is a good fit for just about any riding conditions. There are many different options for windscreens / windshields, it all depends on what you are looking for. Do you want the massive windshield like on a cruiser? or just a smaller windscreen to break up the turbulence and take the wind pressure off your chest?

The 09 is more than capable to be a 60 mile commuter bike, you just need to get the right sized screen to make the ride more enjoyable. Money well spent, just do a little research and find what you like.

p.s. - like others have mentioned, a comfortable riding position makes a huge improvement when it comes to riding any bike.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I ride with a cape on
Let me be the first to say that No one here is judging you. If that's what you choose to do it's ok, as long as you're sporting ATGATT.:cool:

Reactions: Da Braddah and beck

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It's relative really.
The riding position is pretty good on the FZ for longer distances and that matters a lot.
Without any windscreen, as on any naked bike, the wind is going to hit your chest and you will feel like a human sail.
Even the tiny Yamaha windscreen disperses air away from the chest but makes the helmet area noisier. That's for me...5'11 .5", 33" inseam.
This is still better at full tuck and cramped up on a "supersports" bikes that are not really made for long distances.

That said, having ridden naked bikes for all my life, I am pretty comfortable traveling long distances even without a windscreen. If you came from a Sports tourer with giant windshields, you are going to feel a massive difference.
60 miles commutes are pretty easy on most bikes- even SS. But again, depends on what you have been riding. It would kill my back I would believe.

·
Registered
476 Posts
IMG_0893.jpg I bought the FZ09 because of the seating position.(lower back issues) I put pressure on the foot pegs, tank and seat on my rides, but still get bobble head at high speeds. My commute involves long high bridges where I get wind blasted. I'm always looking for signs of gusts like cars swerving, wind debris or sand swarms so I can lean into the wind. This MRA Vario wind screen works for me. Does a heavier bike ride better in the wind or is the seating position more of the cause of wind drag?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Just get yourself a touring style windscreen and the fatigue factor will drop off dramatically.

FZ-09 '14 - Yamaha - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com

I have a MRA Vario Touring Screen with the adjustable spoiler, and I find it is a good fit for just about any riding conditions. There are many different options for windscreens / windshields, it all depends on what you are looking for. Do you want the massive windshield like on a cruiser? or just a smaller windscreen to break up the turbulence and take the wind pressure off your chest?

The 09 is more than capable to be a 60 mile commuter bike, you just need to get the right sized screen to make the ride more enjoyable. Money well spent, just do a little research and find what you like.

p.s. - like others have mentioned, a comfortable riding position makes a huge improvement when it comes to riding any bike.
I have the mra touring screen that's 1 step down from this and interstate travel on the FZ09 is fine. 85 feels like 50 did when it was naked
AdobePhotoshopExpress_0c05beffb22544c9a0c7d76fc0e00c11.jpg

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I have the mra touring screen that's 1 step down from this and interstate travel on the FZ09 is fine. 85 feels like 50 did when it was naked
View attachment 14603

The attachment above wouldn't open -- I want a refund:mad:

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have a mad stad fly screen and even though I have not bought a wind shield yet. I'm kind of surprised these are not more popular. Considering you can go from a fly screen to a wind shield in couple of minutes. I know there are better looking fly screens out now but considering their interchangeable. I don't see why more people don't go this route. But then again a year ago some guys would tell you quit being a ¶¥€€√ and deal with it! Why did you buy naked bike for any way!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts