Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my bike riding with some friends, one was riding an xr650 and the other was on a KTM 690 enduro, and we got to hit some trails up in Virginia on my vacation last week. I'm running Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 tires now and as I'm sure you can imagine they don't do so well in the dirt and mud. I've been trying to figure out if I can buy some wheels from something else to put something a little more dirt oriented on so I can do some trail riding when I want and just be able to swap the wheels out when I get done. I know this probably isn't something most of you would think of doing but I'd still like some input on what you think would work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I have to keep a close eye on the trail but this has more clearance than my r6 did and I got pretty good about keeping it from hitting anything. I don't ride anywhere extremely bad but I do see the occasional river crossing or hill climb and the street tires don't do very well with those.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Not sure you'll be able to do much - guys have already sliced open their oil pan by going over a curb/hitting a railroad track too fast and bottoming out on the back end.

I'd say stiffer suspension to reduce how much the bike compresses would be a focus over different wheels. Either way - i wouldn't recommend taking this bike off road on any trail...but that's just me

This guy may disagree with me :)

Also - welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah my exhaust and my oil pan already have a bunch of scrapes on them from hitting some railroad tracks a little fast. I'm already trying to address the suspension, but this is the other thing I want to work on just so I wont have traction problems in the dirt. I know taking this bike off road isn't recommended but I've always been one to do a lot of stuff that wasn't exactly normal for the equipment I was using. Should have bought a dual sport but I didn't so this is going to do both just like my r6 did.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I will be purchasing a low profile drain plug and a skid plate too, and I like the tkc80 tires but I want them on another set of wheels so I can change them out when I'm going to ride dirt and not have to worry about wearing them out quickly. I have been getting good mileage out of the tires I have now (9k on the front so far and 7k on the rear and nowhere near worn out) and would like to keep a set of wheels and tires for the street and one set for dirt. Just looking for an affordable option to have both sets of tires ready to go.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
R6 would be my donor choice to try first, then fz1. Don't know of anyone that has actually made the swap though.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It was never an issue with me to go off road with road bikes , even climbing staircases in the city. Because I am big , the monoshock was a no go until the fz-09. I am really afraid to do a down stairs , the first step. The protection of crankcase motormounts and oilpan in other bikes had dual framerails. That first step could hit the oil drain or crack the whole pan. As for tires , I crossed mud 100 yards of it on a road bike with bald tires throwing up a huge tail of crap in my past. If I failed to cross the next rider behind would cover me in his mud tail. It was a game we played and everyone weighed a lot more by the end of the day.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It was never an issue with me to go off road with road bikes , even climbing staircases in the city. Because I am big , the monoshock was a no go until the fz-09. I am really afraid to do a down stairs , the first step. The protection of crankcase motormounts and oilpan in other bikes had dual framerails. That first step could hit the oil drain or crack the whole pan. As for tires , I crossed mud 100 yards of it on a road bike with bald tires throwing up a huge tail of crap in my past. If I failed to cross the next rider behind would cover me in his mud tail. It was a game we played and everyone weighed a lot more by the end of the day.
You need new friends. :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I guess I'll be looking for some r6 wheels to try. Hopefully I can find someone that will let me borrow some wheels to see if they work or if I'll have to modify them before I buy something I can't use.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I would be interested in what you manage to do. I (and others)have taken all kinds of bikes, including cruisers, off road, including the Himalayas- everything is more fun in the dirt! Naysayers are just missing out.
Steel rims would be my preference, esp those that can take tubeless tires but I doubt they come in these sizes. Maybe the fz1/fz8 wheels?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have some R6 wheels kicking around; I will try to get some comparison measurements over the weekend. The one thing I can say is that the axle diameters on the FZ-09 are much smaller than any of the others in the Yamaha Line-Up; Custom spacers and bearings would likely be needed.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have some R6 wheels kicking around; I will try to get some comparison measurements over the weekend. The one thing I can say is that the axle diameters on the FZ-09 are much smaller than any of the others in the Yamaha Line-Up; Custom spacers and bearings would likely be needed.
Probably don't need custom bearings, I suspect the FZ09 outer bearing diameter is pretty standard and thus a set of wheel bearings from the FZ09 pressed into the R6 wheel might be the ticket.

A few minutes with a micrometer and a set of wheels will answer that question.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you know how to read the brg part #, the id and od are obvious..... do a little learning.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Probably don't need custom bearings, I suspect the FZ09 outer bearing diameter is pretty standard and thus a set of wheel bearings from the FZ09 pressed into the R6 wheel might be the ticket.

A few minutes with a micrometer and a set of wheels will answer that question.
Sadly, This doesn't appear to be the case. I have not taken a Mic to it yet but, based on my research, it seems that the FZ-09 utilizes an oddball front wheel bearing (Dimensions below).

FZ-09: Ø17mm Inside x Ø40mm Outside x 12mm Wide

For Comparison:
R6: Ø20mm Inside x Ø42mm Outside x 12mm Wide

The problem? It appears that a Ø17mm ID x Ø42mm OD is not available; at least from the online sources that I have looked into.

There is some good news in this though. The R6 Rotor spacing is nearly identical to that of the FZ-09; this can be a major (read: Costly) problem to fix if they are different. Also, and again not confirmed, it seems that the FZ8 shares the same front wheel bearing. Perhaps this could be a better place to start.

More to come...

If you know how to read the brg part #, the id and od are obvious..... do a little learning.
Care to enlighten us? Yamaha Part Number: 93306-20480-00; would love to know the break-down to de-code sizing from this.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts