Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put the snake skin Tech Spec pads on the factory tank grippers.
That is those plastic bits on the fuel tank.

I was wondering if the TechSpec material will "stick" and hold on that etched plastic surface.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
479 Posts
My thoughts are that they would stick as long there is no oil on your factory grippers. I think about this every time my knees slide up the stock grippers. Just ordered tech spec snakeskin pads a few minutes ago from Revzilla.(54.00) I use Nufinish polish on the tank so I won't have an issue with tech spec adhesive not sticking.

From reading this forum I have learned that gripping tank with knees, putting pressure on footpegs and seat make for less pressure on lower back and helping ease that numbing disc pain. I'm hoping the tech specs will help my posture as well as strengthen my core by using this technique.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've got the same ones on my bike. They stick pretty well on both the actual tank and those plastic bits.

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies my friends.
I have the Tech Spec Snakeskins on the traditional mounting points, but my thighs and knees don't really grip there.
I'll be ringing up Revzilla today and taking care of this pronto!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My thoughts are that they would stick as long there is no oil on your factory grippers. I think about this every time my knees slide up the stock grippers. Just ordered tech spec snakeskin pads a few minutes ago from Revzilla.(54.00) I use Nufinish polish on the tank so I won't have an issue with tech spec adhesive not sticking.

From reading this forum I have learned that gripping tank with knees, putting pressure on footpegs and seat make for less pressure on lower back and helping ease that numbing disc pain. I'm hoping the tech specs will help my posture as well as strengthen my core by using this technique.
NuFinish is for paint jobs that are 30 years old....not a brand new bike. If you keep using that instead of wax...you'll end up taking off all the clear coat.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have stomp grip's and they make a pad specific for the plastic piece you're talking about. It comes with the set. Used rubbing alcohol to clean the tank before sticking.

·
Registered
66 Posts
A lot of the material on the Tech Specs is in a place my legs never make contact with. That's the main reason I'm going with Stomp Grips.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I cut the TechSpec snakeskin pads to the shape wanted then bevel the edges with sandpaper, easy.

Reactions: ridetofish
1 - 8 of 8 Posts