Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It's using the current gen R1 engine and suspension.
Yeah I think you are right. Well they are using the R1S engine, basically same as R1 but without the titanium parts, doesn't rev as high, makes less power, is slightly heavier. I must have been thinking about the gsx-s 1000 on that bike they are using the 2005 motor.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
IM sorry but they are just terrible looking LOL. the more I look at them the more they hurt my eyes.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It's the headlight and gauge cluster. They need to do something about that. The rest of the bike looks fine to me. I especially like the blue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tech Black or Race Blu would be my first choices. Night Flo could grow on me. The rear wheel would be a challenge to keep looking good because of chain wax.
I love everything about this bike except the weight.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tech Black or Race Blu would be my first choices. Night Flo could grow on me. The rear wheel would be a challenge to keep looking good because of chain wax.
I love everything about this bike except the weight.
I take that comment back about the weight. I thought this bike was north of 600 lbs. i just double checked and it is in the 460 area which is great.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
IM sorry but they are just terrible looking LOL. the more I look at them the more they hurt my eyes.
I'd have to see one in person to pass final judgement. After going to the bike show earlier this month, there were a few bikes that changed my mind after seeing them up close and personal.

Like the 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000, after see this:

GSX-S1000AL6_YSF_Right_1.jpg

It looked like a bigger and uglier version of a GW250?

GW250.jpg

I have also see reviews on the 2016 Kawasaki Z800 ABS, and thought it looked not to bad.

2016-Kawasaki-Z800-ABS3-small.jpg

But looking at it from the front, the headlight looks like the bike just had a bad stroke, and had that Quasimodo look.

quasimodo.jpg

Even the 2016 Honda CB1000R, just didn't look all that great, just kind of pain and boring.

2016-Honda-CB1000R1-small.jpg

With another ugly headlight setup and another huge exhaust out the side like all the others.

And after seeing the new XSR900 in person, thanks but I will stick with my FZ-09, lol.

EDIT: - if you go to this like, there is a 360 degree view feature, which gives a better look at the MT-10.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/mt/mt-10.aspx#gallery=image|image=http://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/product_assets/2016/MT10/950-75/2016-Yamaha-MT-10-EU-Night-Fluo-Action-010.jpg

Is that the FZ-09 tail light???? lol.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Lose the bulky exhaust and fender and the Kawasaki looks pretty good to me!
The stock exhaust is an eye sore for sure, and top of the exhaust was just covered in foot prints.

It's hard to describe, but standing in front of the bike gives you a better idea of how ugly the headlight setup is. Definitely a face only a mother could love.

hqdefault.jpg

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Yeah I think you are right. Well they are using the R1S engine, basically same as R1 but without the titanium parts, doesn't rev as high, makes less power, is slightly heavier. I must have been thinking about the gsx-s 1000 on that bike they are using the 2005 motor.
The 2005 Gixxer motor had a fair bit of low/mid-range grunt for a litre bike, so is a good choice for a naked bike.
And the MT 10 is on sale in Aus in May.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The stock exhaust is an eye sore for sure, and top of the exhaust was just covered in foot prints.

It's hard to describe, but standing in front of the bike gives you a better idea of how ugly the headlight setup is. Definitely a face only a mother could love.

View attachment 24152
From that angle, I think it looks mean! I like how there is a smaller gap between light and fender than the open space on the 9. Maybe I just like ugly stuff:confused:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wasn't so sure about the looks of the MT-10 at first, but the more I look at it the more I like it, definitely making it to the top of my list of bikes to test ride. Looks like it's coming to Canada this summer. Possibly different colour options too, although the Night Fluo looks pretty sweet.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Wasn't so sure about the looks of the MT-10 at first, but the more I look at it the more I like it, definitely making it to the top of my list of bikes to test ride. Looks like it's coming to Canada this summer. Possibly different colour options too, although the Night Fluo looks pretty sweet.
I always wondered if the bike comes to Canada, could someone from the USA drive up and buy one in Canada and drive it back? The dollar conversion at the moment is favorable. I just hope the USA gets this bike so I can at least see it in person and sit on it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I always wondered if the bike comes to Canada, could someone from the USA drive up and buy one in Canada and drive it back? The dollar conversion at the moment is favorable. I just hope the USA gets this bike so I can at least see it in person and sit on it.
I do not know about driving up and buying one but I ordered one online. Probably the dumbest thing I have ever done but turned out great. I bought a brand new hayabusa from a dealer and sent the money certified check ups w tracking. I did my homework in advance and knew it was legit business but still I thought... "what could possibly go wrong!!!??" Bike was shipped to me yellow freight and I picked it up in the suzuki crate at a trucking company. I had to install the mirrors, windscreen etc but in the end I saved thousands of dollars. Looking back I know the savings were nice but I think I lost 10 years or more off my life worrying that I wouldn't see my bike or money. It came with certificate of origin and I obtained a title at local bmv after a vin inspection. Was really not a problem. If it matters I am located in Indiana where we don't have inspections and things like some states do. But the hayabusa was exactly like a US version with the exception of KM vs MPH on the dial gauge (its a hayabusa thing still to this day). It's been a few years but I would do it all over again for a ride I couldn't get here.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
The big question is if the Manufacture (Yamaha Canada) will release the VIN number on a brand new bike, so it can be registered in a different country? I know some Manufacturer's like BRP will not release a Canadian VIN number on any new machines for the US. It's just their policy to protect their dealer network on both sides of the border. If you can get it done, a 2016 FZ-09 with a MSRP of $8,999 CDN, would be a MSRP of $6537.60 USD. Less all the taxes, duty charges and fees to get it across the border. You might be able to do it for a track bike that will never be ridden on the road???? but hard to say if they would even sell it to you in the first place? or if the border security would even let it through?

When I picked up my 2013 DR650SE, I couldn't get it registered until Suzuki Canada released the VIN number to Transport Canada. The dealer gave me all the proper paperwork to get it registered, but I still had to wait for Suzuki Canada to release the VIN number. I had to wait a week before the registry office had it show up on their records, and they would not do anything until the VIN showed up in the system.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've bought a bike in the US (I live in Canada) and the deal is that no brand new motorcycle (Yamaha anyway) is to be sold for export. I'm sure this is the case on both sides of the border.

Sooooo, with all that being said, I had to supply a US address for the dealer to give to Yamaha USA. As far as Yamaha USA was concerned, the bike never left the country.

I don't know if this is the case doing the opposite, but I would guess that it is. One other thing of note, is before importing the bike, you have to supply a recall clearance letter.

There are no duties payable on a motorcycle.

I did this with my FZ6R in 2011 when the dollar exchange rate was very favourable, and saved a ton of money on it.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S4

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Mt-10 WILL now be available for sale in the States....mid summer...2016. Yamaha announced it via Motorcyclist magazine that came in the mail yesterday,...2-22-2016.

41 - 60 of 135 Posts