Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if clip ons will work with the FZ09. It does look like it'll clear it, but i could be wrong since I haven't seen one in person.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
You're not alone. Most of us on here haven't seen one yet, except the guys that went to the MotoGP races at Laguna and Indy. So I really doubt that anyone can answer that question just yet

·
Registered
75 Posts
I cant see why it wouldnt work. the real question is how is the stock handlebar mounts attached and can they be removed without cutting them off?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you can remove the bars, it'll still have the clips that hold it on the top triple. So in a way it'll look weird with it still on top. I'm afraid that the clip ons won't clear those intake fenders up top. Unless you possibly get clip ons with a rise to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
seems silly to be throwing a bunch of money into a brand new bike just to make it fit like you want....why not get something more suited to you from the get go?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
seems silly to be throwing a bunch of money into a brand new bike just to make it fit like you want
not any sillier than putting an exhaust on a new bike just to make it sound like you want, or putting a windscreen and lower fairings on a brand new bike just to make it look like you want.

....why not get something more suited to you from the get go?
maybe because he wants this bike. maybe this bike has all of the other attributes he wants with the sole exception of the riding position and he's willing to spend a little extra to correct that and make the bike perfect for him.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I was wondering if clip ons will work with the FZ09. It does look like it'll clear it, but i could be wrong since I haven't seen one in person.
Seriously, you are looking at the wrong bike. This is a streetfighter, not a sportbike. THe frame, seat, peg, bar, wheelbase relationship was carefully engineered to be set up the way it is. Adjustable bar risers and taller/shorter bars should be all the bike can handle in geometry change.

·
Registered
75 Posts
some ppl have different views on what is needed for them. to each his own. I personally want lower bars but how low will be determined after riding it for awhile.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm waiting to see if we get someone that wants to turn one into a bobber before its actually released ..... ;)

... To each their own .... Always!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am still debating on the FZ or R6. The R6 has the riding position i like, but i do love me a naked bike. And at this price point it is very well worth looking in to before i make up my mind.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I bet they come out with a new R6 next year with a triple anyway, if that interests you. I admit that I like the R6, it's the best looking supersport in my opinion and it's definitely a screamer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think a new r6 will come out for the 2014 model year. If anything i think it will be 2015. I do agree with you that the current R6 is one of the best looking and that is why i really want it. But not sure if I wanna put out that much money just yet until I see the FZ09 in person. I have also been searching for a good R6 used but haven't had luck yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
An inexpensive way to lower the bars is to simply flip them over. It looks like there is less than a 3" rise in the bars which could put you 6" closer to the front wheel. Cut the ends off to the minimal length and you have sumulated clip-ons. I have not seen the bike in person and this may not work...I'm not going to do it, but it may be possible.

W

·
0 Posts
some ppl have different views on what is needed for them. to each his own. I personally want lower bars but how low will be determined after riding it for awhile.
In my view this bike is a foundation for something that could ultimately be much better than the Street Triple R, but it remains to be seen if the problems it has can be solved. Handlebars and pipes are easy, but the two-piece bolt-up steering head might present some handling issues that just cannot be solved with suspension and tire changes. But we can hope.

One could always go with a much lower handle bar using the existing mounts, there are plenty of options out there.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Why is everyone so concerned about the bolt together frame? I don't see an issue with it.

Reactions: Lynchy803

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You could flip the bars, or put clip-on's however you might have clearance issues between the bars and the gas tank. The Gas tank is pretty wide.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
This is not a sportbike and does not have the geometry to be one. Flipping the bars over could be a bad mistake. I rode with Clubman bars back in the day and they were nothing short of horrible and dangerous. The most I would recommend would be to go to a different bend and size of taper bar. They make tons of variations.

ZETA SX-3 HANDLEBAR

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have clubmans on my old RD. Right now my bike is in pieces down to the frame and ready for he cylinders to be machined. When it goes back together the clubmans are being flipped over into the higher position. Just too uncomfortable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts