Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to what some other folks thoughts are on why there seems to be more people wrecking fz-09's compared to other motorcycles. I've come up with this theory that it must be either 1 of two things. Either:

A. The fz-09 attracts squidly riders who don't know what they are getting themselves into, tend to live in areas of the country where there is pretty much nothing but flat straight highway and crowded city intersections, and get excited about highway onramps. The type of people who don't know how to ride.

OR

2. The fz-09 really is just....done wrong, and cannot corner properly for some people.

Any other ideas as to how this may be happening? Curious to hear from some other folks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The price point is only slightly higher than entry level 250-300cc bikes, less than some 500cc standard-types and considerably less than a 600+cc pure-bred sport bike. I think many people have gotten this as their first bike, and the power to brain ratio is way out of whack.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Agree with Sparker.

Reason #1: New rider getting over their head and riding over their own limit.
Reason #2: Riding the bike over its own limit without sorting out the weak suspension. Mean ok suspension to ride around normally but not SS grade
Reason #3: Plain out of luck!

Price point it make more sense to buy the 09 compare to entry level bikes. By example my FZ09 was less OTD that what I paid for my FZ6R 5 years ago (added all the tire insurance & long warranty...) If I had to look at some numbers back then, I would have bough the 09 in a heartbeat! So now put yourself in a 20 YO kid that know everything and is indestructible (LOL... all been there) Yes my friends, unfortunately some thing might happen (hope not) and Ebay will be fill with spare parts.

Won't be the first bike, won't be the last. Just think about the Gixxers...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
can't say much more than Marthy or sparker aside from just some random bad luck also (people getting rear ended - bikes getting plowed over in a parking lot - hard to prevent those situations).

·
Registered
987 Posts
Also consider there are a lot of FZ09s on the road. I just took the MSF Military Sportbike Riders Course yesterday and there were (3) FZ09s and (1) FZ07 in the class. I asked the instructor; who was also on an FZ09, if he has seen this many in one class before and he said it was common.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
883 Posts
At a Yamaha demo day last year, I spent some time with the supervisor. He mentioned riders crashing the FZ-09 more than any other motorcycle, and no other model came close. He had to replace at least one FZ-09. No surprise based on prior posts in this thread, he attributed the crash rate to less experienced riders getting in over their heads.

The 'power to brain ratio' comment was a good one!

·
Registered
44 Posts
New rider egos writing checks their skill set can't cash.
New rider training schools that teach riders to control a motorcycle at slow to moderate speeds here in New York and enable them to get a license are a step in the right direction.
(It is a lot better than the crash fest I survived in the 70's with a 3cly. 2 smoke when the street bike bug bit.)
In a perfect world we could give everyone buying a Motorcycle a free track day with Vern to show them how to corner a motorcycle at elevated speed.
If you want to learn to be safer, smoother, faster, and the 3 are not mutually exclusive beg or borrow the funds to do the track.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
+1 to "power-to-brain ratio".

When a 850cc, 105hp bike is available for the price of heavier, "slower" (think 600/650cc) bikes why would a indestructible kid not get the FZ if it can get him some bragging rights, on the cheap?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i started out on an SV650 - in hindsight even that was stupid - i luckily survived but starting with even more power than that would have been a disaster for sure.

Luckily coming from that bike and how the throttle and low end torque is made a big difference with how to easily control the FZ. YMMV but speaking in a general sense - and there have been plenty of threads on this topic - it's just not a good beginner bike. Any one who has gotten their insurance renewed this year will agree.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My rates went down 2% when I renewed this month. :cool:

Pretty much repeating what everyone said here. Entry level price point without entry level power attracts people that are likely to get in over their heads. Simple as that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I may not be able to address every issue here, but I am as green of rider as you can get. Granted, I could be younger (I'm 34), I decided on the FZ09 for three reasons 1. It is comfortable and 2. it is more capable than I will EVER be, and 3. It is just a sweet looking bike. With that being said, I am going to make mistakes, and the "Its not if you go do down, its when..." that has always stuck with me. I hope being cautious and careful I can be the exception to that rule, but if not, you can be damn sure I will not be doing 90 mph down an off ramp when that happens. But to be honest all the other bikes I was looking at, even the slower ones I wasn't as "scared" of, I don't know if that makes any sense. I have realized that if your not careful this bike can take you by surprise (as with any bike I am sure) and lay you down in a hurry. I have seen a few experienced riders even on these forums who I am sure are much better riders than me went down, which again just says, to me, when you go down, make sure that you will be able to get up again. But to address the content of this thread, I think it is a combination of power and price. This bike offers a lot for what your paying for.

·
Registered
806 Posts
A lot of magazine's called this a beginner's bike. I've had two street bikes and a few dirt bikes. When I growing up a
Good all around bike was a 125cc Hodoca wombat. Now a
Fz-7 is a great beginner's bike? That's faster than the first two street bikes iv owned (Yamaha seca 600 & kawi z750)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I may not be able to address every issue here, but I am as green of rider as you can get. Granted, I could be younger (I'm 34), I decided on the FZ09 for three reasons 1. It is comfortable and 2. it is more capable than I will EVER be, and 3. It is just a sweet looking bike. With that being said, I am going to make mistakes, and the "Its not if you go do down, its when..." that has always stuck with me. I hope being cautious and careful I can be the exception to that rule, but if not, you can be damn sure I will not be doing 90 mph down an off ramp when that happens. But to be honest all the other bikes I was looking at, even the slower ones I wasn't as "scared" of, I don't know if that makes any sense. I have realized that if your not careful this bike can take you by surprise (as with any bike I am sure) and lay you down in a hurry. I have seen a few experienced riders even on these forums who I am sure are much better riders than me went down, which again just says, to me, when you go down, make sure that you will be able to get up again. But to address the content of this thread, I think it is a combination of power and price. This bike offers a lot for what your paying for.
there is a law of averages with anything but just because many have fallen there are certainly those who have not and will not. Being an older new rider is definitely different than being a younger new rider (for the most part again - law of averages) - you tend to have already gotten to the stupid crap out of your system.

Self awareness goes a long way - best of luck to you and ride safe (welcome to the forum as well).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Knghtd1,
Great attitude . The old saying about two kinds of bikers, those that have crashed, and those that will. I accept that there will be crashes. I am putting myself into a situation where I might be maimed. Or killed. Even tho I did everything right? Legal repercussions?
Shit Happens.
I love riding bikes

1 - 20 of 204 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.