Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to check out the Two-brothers pipe at my dealer, and man does that thing sound amazing. Not too loud or high-pitched, this really nice low rumble.

I like the sound of the stock exhaust, but it's so quiet compared to most other bikes I find, especially now that I've heard one of these racing exhausts. Are all stock exhausts so 'meh'?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I myself am tired of loud exhausts so I like the stock sound but I am not a fan of that sack on the bottom of the bike.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just signed the paperwork on a liquid graphite FZ today and I'll stay with stock exhaust for this year, then for next spring I plan to get a full Akropovic system.. Love the looks of that unit, and I'll bet it sounds amazing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have seen people bashing two brothers on here, is the Akro just a hands down better quality system? My dealer seemed to think the opposite

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have seen people bashing two brothers on here, is the Akro just a hands down better quality system? My dealer seemed to think the opposite
Sounds like your dealer sells 2-Bros and not Akrapovic, hence his bias...

Akra is hands down one of the best producers in the world, anyone who disagree's has an agenda or their head in the sand. :)

I bought an M4 myself as they are a mid-level product with a bargain basement price point, and eeking out every last pony isn't important for me on this bike so I can cut a few corners and save a few schillings to put towards useful stuff like track days, my shock and forks, frame sliders, Ermax, and heated grips.

·
Registered
354 Posts
2 bros is a quality piece that is for sure but they are more louder. Akrop is just coming on in America the first time I have heard of them was when Canam spyders started using them. I don't have any experience with them accept what the internet says and if it is on the internet it's got to be true. And I have said this before I am a firm believer that loud exhaust do not save lives when a car hits a motorcyclist they always say they never saw him they never say they didn't hear him they say they never saw him or her.

PS not trying to hijack your thread by any means just wanted to throw that out there

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Akra has been in the U.S. for probably better than 10 years or so. I had a chance to buy one when I put a full system on my 2005 CBR1000RR when it was new........I went with the Micron at the time.....it was about $450 less than the Akra.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Akra has been in the U.S. for probably better than 10 years or so. I had a chance to buy one when I put a full system on my 2005 CBR1000RR when it was new........I went with the Micron at the time.....it was about $450 less than the Akra.
Was it more popular in the racing side of things because I have never heard of them before this past fall

·
Registered
238 Posts
Was it more popular in the racing side of things because I have never heard of them before this past fall
Yes, and with serious motorcyclists with deep pockets.

They've been in north america for at least 14-15 years now and they outfit more world championship and National level racers than any other manufacturer by far.

·
Registered
570 Posts
As I recall, Akra made their reputation by being one of the very first companies to liberally use titanium as a material for their exhausts, and they became well-known for their extraordinary construction quality and amazing welding. I believe Akra is considered a top-tier exhaust company, with M4 and Two Brothers seen as a bit further down the quality ladder.

Google the words "Akrapovic titanium end of Cold War" and you may find some info about the lower cost of titanium in the Nineties and how it enabled more use of Ti in motorcycle exhausts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This bike is the quietest stock bike I have ever owned and I don't like it for a variety of reasons. First off I want to hear that it is a triple and secondly when I am mired in several lanes of downtown traffic I want the possibility of being heard. In my 36 years of street riding I have seen it make a difference many times!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't mind the quiet sound either. I live in a townhome development and would just piss everybody off. The engine does not need any more power that's for sure. There was a guy that posted how to modify stock exhaust and make it louder. Search that thread.

·
Registered
354 Posts
This bike is the quietest stock bike I have ever owned and I don't like it for a variety of reasons. First off I want to hear that it is a triple and secondly when I am mired in several lanes of downtown traffic I want the possibility of being heard. In my 36 years of street riding I have seen it make a difference many times!
Hey if it did thats great live to ride another day! i may wish to have a louder exhaust if i was a lane splitter. I will admit if i am at a red light i may move to the shoulder of the road and move up but never down between the 2 lanes i just don't trust other drivers. I am sure it pisses people off and eventually one of them will cut you off or block you. But still to a fan of loud exhausts.

Reactions: Itaride

·
Registered
418 Posts
The quiet exhaust you can thank the vegan, rainbow and butterfly chasing, treetards saying they are only trying to protect mother Earth. But the same people will burn down a car dealership and every car in it trying to prove a point.

I really do not think loud pipes save lives entirely. The specific conditions, the rider, the driver of the car/truck, and the riding/driving habits of both parties make more of a determining factor than loud pipes will. I have a friend with a fully modded VROD that is insanely loud. He's been taken down twice on that bike. Another friend with an Ultra Classic also insanely loud got taken down once. So IMO the loud pipes save lives is something people say to justify their loud exhaust to people that complain about it. The best way to be safe is be vigilant, use common sense, and ride defensively with the assumption that everyone out there is out to get you! LOL

I was on my R1 when it had a Yoshi 3/4 system at about 8,000rpms directly next to a woman in a SUV for about 2 miles. No way she couldn't hear me, but she came right into my lane, missed me by less than a foot, pushed me into the right lane where I was barely able to squeak in behind a pickup truck. Texting, talking on the phone with blue tooth or the regular way, eating behind the wheel, or just being a complete failure at driving and at life in general is what causes most vehicle/motorcycle crashes.

I'm waiting for my Akrapovic system regardless of how long that wait turns out to be.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I was on my R1 when it had a Yoshi 3/4 system at about 8,000rpms directly next to a woman in a SUV for about 2 miles. No way she couldn't hear me, but she came right into my lane, missed me by less than a foot, pushed me into the right lane where I was barely able to squeak in behind a pickup truck.
a sound like an exhaust droning at constant rpm's ends up being filtered out by the brain after a while. it's like wind noise in your helmet, you don't notice it unless you're actively trying to.

the noise was hitting her ears, but she didn't hear you. human senses are funny like that.

same thing with vision - you could be running with your brights on approaching an intersection and still have someone 'not see you' and turn in front of you. but if you were to wig-wag (quick side-to-side weaving in your lane), or flash your highbeams rapidly a couple of times, they might suddenly see you. hence why lots of riders swear by headlight (and brake light) modulators.

emergency vehicles have loud piercing changing frequency alarms and multicolored flashing lights for this reason. but even then....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts