Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own both the 2018 MT-09 and 2018 MT-07 because I couldn't decide which one I wanted. I know...I'm spoiled. Anyhow, I noticed that every time I take the 09 out for a spin and get aggressive with the throttle to experience the acceleration and torque I come home and my lower back is strained and will be for a few days. If I take the 07 out and do the same kind of ride and I am fine. What the heck is going on? I'm a very athletic 60 years old guy who does 50 to 100 miles bicycle rides a road bike and I mountain bike frequently. I'm just shy of 6' and weigh 160 lbs. I have a 36" inseam and short torso but long arms. Anyhow, I took my 09 for a quick spin around the block today and bingo...I can feel my lower back start to stress from what I believe is the massive amount of torque this bike has. It happens every time I ride the 09. I really like this bike but if I can't figure it out she will have to sadly go up for sale and I'll keep the 07 instead. If someone can offer some idea about what is going on I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Certain positions kill my back. I think it could be the higher bars of the MT09. I have looked at the handlebars on the MT07 and don't think they will fit on the MT09. I have Woodcraft adapter with clip on's so nice and low.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,531 Posts
I would start with handlebars. Hurricane Swallow or Woodcraft clip-ons will give you some forward lean, but not so much that it will strain your wrists, and they're not excessively wide like MX bars. My Swallows are so much more natural and comfortable at speed than the stock bar it's ridiculous...

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
All the posts I’ve read on this suggest more forward lean. You could start by tilting the bars forward. The 07 is good, so you should also compare and try to match the body angle. Since the headlight on the 07 is lower and you get more of a sensation of looking at the road directly in front of it, I would think the forward lean is indeed more on that model. Other posters with back problems on the 09 said it didn’t take much forward bar adjustment to cure their back pain. Let us know if you figure it out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
First thing I would do is measure rider triangle. So from the seat to the bars and the seat to the pegs. That will give you a baseline to work from. Check both bikes and see what is different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First thing I would do is measure rider triangle. So from the seat to the bars and the seat to the pegs. That will give you a baseline to work from. Check both bikes and see what is different.
Both bikes are the same distance from grip to seat position at 26". From seat to peg the 09 is about 1.5" longer at 20.5". The 09's bar is about 2" wider.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Both bikes are the same distance from grip to seat position at 26". From seat to peg the 09 is about 1.5" longer at 20.5". The 09's bar is about 2" wider.
Thats some significant differences. What about height of the bars from the seat?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Problem is I have no idea how to mitigate the issue. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Do I get a Comfort Seat, handlebars, etc.?
Look into some seating options and then look into different handle bar options. Also, look into how too setup your suspension. Stay away from woodcraft clip ons unless your trying to have a sportbike feel. I'm 5.9" 180lbs and I have the shad seat with protaper Carmichael bars. I can ride the bike all day now. Granted im half your age but, once I setup my suspension, did the seat, then the bars. It made me love the bike.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Lower back pain is different for everybody. Got some smashed disks in lower back. Bought the FZ09 because of the up right seating position and then through this forum I learned to put pressure on the foot pegs, squeeze tank with knees, pressure on the seat and no pressure on the shoulders or handlebars. On long trips I'll wear a back brace and take a few inflammatories. Also do core strength exercises, stretch, posture and try to keep beer gut in check. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I didn't get lower back pain, I had a nerve pinched between my shoulder blades. Changing to lower Renthal bars fixed that instantly. The way my bike is set up now is the best riding position I've had on any bike.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Pretty hard to compare those sketches. Get identical pictures of you in a common riding position from the side and from the front on each bike. If there’s still no difference, Compare the seats.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pretty hard to compare those sketches. Get identical pictures of you in a common riding position from the side and from the front on each bike. If there’s still no difference, Compare the seats.
The photos are actually from the cycle-ergo website. You input height, inseam, handlebar rise, pullback, seat height position or rearset position and it will calculate the bend angle of your knees, hips and back. Extremely informative tool when comparing bikes.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Great documentation and noticeably different than the sketches show. Lou mentioned the lower bars which should duplicate that part of the 07. What if you swapped bars between the two bikes?

Foot placement is also much different between the two.

You could do a printout of each on a transparency and overlay them.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts