Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 143 Posts
I turn on the ignition, click the mode button to go into A, then crank it and ride. I only use B on bumpy roads because it's a little smoother and doesn't have me jerking around.

All I use is A mode... B mode is too soft, STD mode takes too much wrist. A lot of novices on this bike, I'd agree. I cannot imagine an experienced rider being intimidated by A or STD.
Exactly.

If the full power of the triple in A mode scares some people, perhaps they would be better suited to something with two less cylinders(read moped). This bike and this motor are not for the faint of heart, but it really just comes down to proper control of the throttle regardless of the mode-if you crank the throttle in A mode be prepared to hang on as the front end leaves the asphalt...

I demoed the bike in A a few months back. But as said above, the bike isn't the least bit intimidating if you have decent experience. The past two bikes I've had are 1000rr's, put 18k miles on both. I was just tired of not being able to use even 50% of the power those bikes come with on the street, so I downsized. B means boring, A is awesome and std speaks for it self. However, unless I'm hooligan-ing around, I stick to std.

I find for me it doesnt matter the mode.....the front wheel will still leave the road in all of the first 3 gears under WOT. B mode takes a little bit of a pull on the bars or a dip in the road to get it up in 3rd gear, but it still comes up regardless.

I find myself in B mode more often these days, simply because of the smoother throttle action. I find I still get all my shits and giggles even in boring mode. Mind you my commute is rough roads and stop go traffic for the best part, so I dont mind the reduced power for a trade in smoothness. Gives my right wrist a bit of a break from trying to modulate peak hour traffic lol.

Once I hit some nice smooth roads on a weekend ride through some curves, I bust out the right thumb and switch over to A for extra fine inputs.

I find for me it doesnt matter the mode.....the front wheel will still leave the road in all of the first 3 gears under WOT. B mode takes a little bit of a pull on the bars or a dip in the road to get it up in 3rd gear, but it still comes up regardless.

I find myself in B mode more often these days, simply because of the smoother throttle action. I find I still get all my shits and giggles even in boring mode. Mind you my commute is rough roads and stop go traffic for the best part, so I dont mind the reduced power for a trade in smoothness. Gives my right wrist a bit of a break from trying to modulate peak hour traffic lol.

Once I hit some nice smooth roads on a weekend ride through some curves, I bust out the right thumb and switch over to A for extra fine inputs.
Definitely agree with you there. My main complaint about the bike is the throttle twitchiness. When cornering aggressively and getting on and off the throttle smoothly, it can really mess up a corner unless you are perfect on and off it. Took it to the dragon this past weekend and had a decent bit of fun, but still found the throttle jerkiness irritating. I've tracked my old 1000 a few times, and currently two years of track on my r6, so I'm all about throttle control and maintenance throttle, but this FZ ECU NEEDS to be reflashed soon.

Many have said:

B mode in City traffic; A mode for Open Roads; and you can eliminate STD's with Antibiotics.;)

I wouldn't say I'm afraid of it. The abrupt on-off nature can make city riding a little bit more entertaining, in fact. However, cornering at high speeds (the kind I'll be hitting when I do track days) depends on a degree of throttle smoothness it simply doesn't permit due to the on/off nature. It is simply too easy to upset the chassis in hard cornering with how jumpy it is stock.

Got mine dyno tuned and made A mode default.

Reactions: ridethepiggy
i always forget to switch to A and now i'm just used to STD - so this is what i usually ride in. Each mode takes a little bit different wrist maneuver to master easy shifting. I've noticed that if i'm in one mode for awhile and i switch to another my clutch/gas work needs to be modified slightly - it's just easier to stay consistent with 1 mode for me at least.

I wouldn't say I'm afraid of it. The abrupt on-off nature can make city riding a little bit more entertaining, in fact. However, cornering at high speeds (the kind I'll be hitting when I do track days) depends on a degree of throttle smoothness it simply doesn't permit due to the on/off nature. It is simply too easy to upset the chassis in hard cornering with how jumpy it is stock.
This. I find the title of this thread a bit bizarre - I can't remember anyone on here saying they are 'afraid' of a mode. I prefer b mode (even after the reflash) because I prefer it when the bike does what I want, when I ask for it. Nothing to do with engine torque, and there's nothing wrong with my throttle control either. Smooth bike control gives me 90% of the pleasure of riding.

Sent via Tapatalk.

This. I find the title of this thread a bit bizarre - I can't remember anyone on here saying they are 'afraid' of a mode. I prefer b mode (even after the reflash) because I prefer it when the bike does what I want, when I ask for it. Nothing to do with engine torque, and there's nothing wrong with my throttle control either. Smooth bike control gives me 90% of the pleasure of riding.

Sent via Tapatalk.
I totally agree. However I do use A mode a lot when commuting or having fun on straights, in the bike's current state I would never attempt to use anything other than B mode when pushing the bike in the manner I would on a track day (until ECU reflash, anyway), just because anyone who knows anything will know that throttle smoothness is of the utmost importance when cornering. The kind of slight throttle "hiccups" the bike is known for in stock mapping in A and STD modes can lead to an easy highside when the bike is leaned over in a 60mph+ sweeper.

I love all three modes, I use B in town std most of the time and A for the part of my that never grew up. I learned to be smooth years ago racing open wheel midgets and karts no need for me to reflash , but I also know its no fun to ride a bike you can't be smooth on so a reflash would make sense for alot of riders. RR :cool:

I'm mostly in A mode after the dyno but when I get in and area where I want lots of torque I'll put it in Standard mode and hang on ha ha love that mode.

I don't know why the shaming of those in B mode- boys will be boys, I guess.
I rode B initially to get to know my bike better and to acclimatize it to the crazy city traffic of NYC, that only another New Yorker (or Indian/SE Asian) can understand. Eventually I have been riding it in STD mode (no reflash yet)- full power without the absolute craziness (read abruptness) of A mode. B Mode is now reserved for rains. If anyone here rides two-up all the time, the need to be smooth on this bike is evident to them.
A Mode is suicide in NYC or a sure way to get the po-pos looking your way, ready with their little books. Riding a powerful bike does not mean you have to be at all the power, all the time or being reckless and crazy. We are not stupid teenagers. What I love about biking is that I can tour in peace, enjoying the scenery or have fun commuting without being an idiot. I see many of those on the streets- and don't like to be associated with them. At all.

41 - 60 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.