Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this posted here and on the other FZ09 forum numerous times, that people find the bike scary to ride in standard or A mode, that the throttle feels jerky at low speed, etc... Am I the only one who loves STD mode? I find the B mode near boring compared to it, and don't really ever use it unless it's slippery out.

Thoughts?

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy "A" mode. But I only have 30 miles on it so far and that was during a chilly ride home from the dealership.
I did manage a 4th gear power wheelie (albeit only about 5-6") on the highway... I was impressed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thoroughly enjoy "A" mode. But I only have 30 miles on it so far and that was during a chilly ride home from the dealership.
I did manage a 4th gear power wheelie (albeit only about 5-6") on the highway... I was impressed.
No joke, the first thing I did on the bike was a power-wheelie (by accident) as I hit the road from the dealership on a test-drive. Instantly fell in love right there :D It was in A mode haha!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
30 miles is plenty to evaluate all the power modes on a brand new motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I drive mostly in the city, I had a rare chance to ride back roads the other day. STD mode is a little rough for traffic lights non-stop, but not a big deal. B mode is much smoother for traffic. I am a returning rider, coming back from a ~5yr break...its taking alot of discipline to resist the urge to go hog-wild. Also, roads are cold and new tires mean I am unsure how much grip I have. So all that being said, I want to become very comfortable in B 1st, then make STD my daily mode, and then start to play with A once I know the bike very well.

This is all design to prevent me from ever dropping her, I think that would break my heart

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
No joke, the first thing I did on the bike was a power-wheelie (by accident) as I hit the road from the dealership on a test-drive. Instantly fell in love right there :D It was in A mode haha!
Exact same thing I did last. It was love at first whoolie.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I drive mostly in the city, I had a rare chance to ride back roads the other day. STD mode is a little rough for traffic lights non-stop, but not a big deal. B mode is much smoother for traffic. I am a returning rider, coming back from a ~5yr break...its taking alot of discipline to resist the urge to go hog-wild. Also, roads are cold and new tires mean I am unsure how much grip I have. So all that being said, I want to become very comfortable in B 1st, then make STD my daily mode, and then start to play with A once I know the bike very well.

This is all design to prevent me from ever dropping her, I think that would break my heart
This I can understand. I almost high-sided the 2nd day I had her coming out of a turn and snapping the throttle a bit too much, new slippery tires. I've kept it in STD mode most of the time now, and knock on wood, have a good feel for how she handles in turns at this point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ho wow! I been advice by the dealer to keep it in STD mode for break in since B mode is snappy and A being known as a wheelie maker.
Actually I rode it back home first time in STD mode over 50 miles on the fwy speeds and fell in love with the response of the twist.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ho wow! I been advice by the dealer to keep it in STD mode for break in since B mode is snappy and A being known as a wheelie maker.
Actually I rode it back home first time in STD mode over 50 miles on the fwy speeds and fell in love with the response of the twist.
It sounds like the dealer got confused between standard and "B" mode.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I mostly drive in STD because i think its a good mix of control and power. A is definitely for wheelies, so i use it in slow traffic to play around and when i am expecting a lot of merging in the CA traffic. I use STD for cruising and B when i am lane splitting or driving through slow areas like parking lots where a little throttle goes a long way. I also use B if the roads are wet. I love the different modes, they are great for adjusting Snappiness.

-z

Reactions: 85EFI

·
Registered
232 Posts
from i hear A mode and std mode are the same b mode is about 10 to 12 hp less i only got about 50 km on my first ride and it wheelied with with no effort at all and no warning in first gear i was in std mode have not tried b mode yet but wheelies can be avoided by short shifting first gear around 5 to 6 grand on the rpm till you get used to her any higher and she will power wheelie.. i am just getting back in the saddle after a bad accident so will have to take some time to get a feel for the power...but in the upper gears she pulls something fierce got to love it ...sadly it is winter here now and roads are salted man winter sucks got to hope for a little rain and then a warm day hopefully before spring ...

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I honestly prefer A mode, personally. But B is great for when you're taking a passenger. I haven't used STD since I tried A for the first time, I just like how responsive it is.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My FZ-09 arrived at the dealership on a Friday and was assembled and test ridden by the shop owner the next day. He called me all excited to tell me how wicked A mode was, saying it was almost unrideable, but fun, etc...
I took the following Tuesday off and went to get the bike. The 1st thing I did was switch it to A mode and ride it carefully in town a few miles. It was far from unrideable and easy (for me) to control. Granted, the first time I snapped the throttle a little too quickly off the line it carried the front wheel across an intersection. Oops!/Yee-haa!
For heavy traffic use, I do like B mode for the way it eases into the power vs. popping the whole top off a can of whoop-a** every time I twist it! LOL
But, once things clear up I switch back to A and just ride it.

The next time I saw my dealer, I asked him if he'd switched my Super Tenere to touring mode{similar to FZ-09 B mode} after riding it for me when I was bringing my girlfriend's bike back home and he said yes. He found the sport mode(Like A mode but not as crazy as on the FZ-09} a little too twitchy to ride and applauded touring mode's fuel economy, etc...
I thought that was odd as I have had zero issues riding it in sport and get 50+mpg on the highway with the Tenere.

Moral of the story: Some may find some f.i. modes easier to modulate than others. It's a personal preference.

-eddie in cold/rainy west Georgia waiting for the clouds to go away.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts