Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like to use Gerbings gloves and jacket liner sometimes. Have used them on my FZ6(s) and FZ1. Ran the battery down on the FZ6 once, and then got a battery tender which I used nightly year round. Also got a Kisan Technologies Chargeguard voltmeter, which is cool.

Gloves are 27W, 2.2A
Liner is 77W, 6.4A

I don't plan to install extra lighting or heated grips, so just use of these Gerbings maybe 10-15 times per season.

Anyone running similar? Any voltage stats to share? Battery issues? Install a voltmeter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Like to use Gerbings gloves and jacket liner sometimes. Have used them on my FZ6(s) and FZ1. Ran the battery down on the FZ6 once, and then got a battery tender which I used nightly year round. Also got a Kisan Technologies Chargeguard voltmeter, which is cool.

Gloves are 27W, 2.2A
Liner is 77W, 6.4A

I don't plan to install extra lighting or heated grips, so just use of these Gerbings maybe 10-15 times per season.

Anyone running similar? Any voltage stats to share? Battery issues? Install a voltmeter?

Thanks!
I have been running a gerbings full sleeved liner, and oxford sport heated grips for close to 4000km, with zero issues.
Being in the great white north, when I ride, I pretty much use both all the time.
I battery tender both my bikes when not in use. Time will tell, but I have not had charging issues, so far.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oxford heated hand grips here with no problems. I also have heated glove liners but rarely need them.

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
I'm trying to remember the alternator charging wattage and it seems that it is 400 Watts, so you should be good to go with no issues, as long as you are not exceeding or getting real close to the 400W rating of the charging system.

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
Good idea JPaul!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also, don't forget that the headlight, ECM, tail light, etc are drawing power too. You don't have 400 watts to use up with accessories.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
If I recall my physics, Amps * Volts = Watts. Volts being 12. On USB phones and Garmins draw 1.5 to 2 Amps which equates to 18 up to 24 Watts respectively.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I don't ride when it is cold. I don't ride after dark. I don't ride in the rain.

Yes I am a light weight but I am an old fart and I break easy.

The only supplemental juice I use is to light the afterburner for a fast canyon run!

And yes I am sometimes silly.

A merry heart makes for good medicine.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Tie into the tail light wire for a switched circuit. It will not run down the battery when sitting.
There is an accessory outlet located under the right side fake air scoop. it only has a 2 amp fuse though so I installed a fuse block with a built in solid state relay. I ran the trigger to the fuse block relay from the accessory outlet. Now I have an easy path to more electrical accessories.
I also installed all LED lighting including the headlight. That mod cut the wattage draw down by about 75 watts which should leave me plenty of free electrons left for about anything.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've been running a liner and gloves since December with no issues. I use a battery tender whenever the bike is back in the garage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If I recall my physics, Amps * Volts = Watts. Volts being 12. On USB phones and Garmins draw 1.5 to 2 Amps which equates to 18 up to 24 Watts respectively.
Just to nit pick a little... operating voltage is more in the 13-14v range. And, not sure what the specs on the GPS is, but for USB charging, that's 1.5-2 amps at 5v, so more like 10-12 watts. :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just to nit your nit pick a little...hehe
1.5*5=7.5
2*5=10
so seems that calc should come out to 7.5 to 10 watts.
Also the current draw will never come close to that unless the battery in whatever device you are charging is very low to begin with. If the device battery is full it will only draw just enough to keep the charge which will only be several milliamps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 98 degree weather and fires here in San Diego are providing all the heat I could ever ask for at the moment!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Just to nit pick a little... operating voltage is more in the 13-14v range. And, not sure what the specs on the GPS is, but for USB charging, that's 1.5-2 amps at 5v, so more like 10-12 watts. :)
I was trying to do my simple high school physics on a 12V system, but you are right. It is best to err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
There is an accessory outlet located under the right side fake air scoop. it only has a 2 amp fuse though so I installed a fuse block with a built in solid state relay. I ran the trigger to the fuse block relay from the accessory outlet. Now I have an easy path to more electrical accessories.
I also installed all LED lighting including the headlight. That mod cut the wattage draw down by about 75 watts which should leave me plenty of free electrons left for about anything.
I did the exact same thing, using the switched wire from the AUX to my Fuzeblock for the switched circuit, but everyone, for some reason, can't seem to find the AUX plug.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I did the exact same thing, using the switched wire from the AUX to my Fuzeblock for the switched circuit, but everyone, for some reason, can't seem to find the AUX plug.
If I had not known it was there I would never have found it myself, the damn thing was tucked up where you had to pull the wires down to be able to see it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts