Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the bike to work this morning. Air temps were in the mid 40's. On a short highway-like stint the coolant dropped to a low 151 degrees. Seems really low to me; lower than I've ever seen. I'm wondering if the thermostat is good or not. The bike also seems to take a while to warm up.

:confused:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I noticed mine running in the 150's a couple times while out in the low 50's ambient temps. It must be a matter of where the sensor is mounted.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I noticed mine running in the 150's a couple times while out in the low 50's ambient temps. It must be a matter of where the sensor is mounted.
I suppose the air flow does effect the sensor, because my experience is the same somewhat. I have almost 2K on mine now and have been riding in temps from 45 to 90.
I have seen the 150's displayed in 50ish weather moving say above 60mph. But the same conditions in town and moving less that say 35mph I would see 170's. A few times treading in first and second in heavy traffic I have seen 210 on a 60 degree day. The fan will kick on in those conditions.
This senson must be out side of the cooling system vs inside measuring the actual temp of the coolant liquid?
Good question, that some of the other folks here may be able to answer.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I suppose the air flow does effect the sensor, because my experience is the same somewhat. I have almost 2K on mine now and have been riding in temps from 45 to 90.
I have seen the 150's displayed in 50ish weather moving say above 60mph. But the same conditions in town and moving less that say 35mph I would see 170's. A few times treading in first and second in heavy traffic I have seen 210 on a 60 degree day. The fan will kick on in those conditions.
This senson must be out side of the cooling system vs inside measuring the actual temp of the coolant liquid?
Good question, that some of the other folks here may be able to answer.
the engine temp on the dash is the coolant temperature. airflow through the radiator is what cools the coolant, so it's normal to see lower temps at highway speeds than around town. yamaha likes to use 160 degree thermostats, so if the 09 is the same, then 150's at highway speeds sounds about right.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fair enough. If it runs in line with what everyone else is seeing I'll ride on!

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Radiator is very efficient. Mid 80s here and can tolerate a 3" blocker accross the top of the rad. Get in the 190-200 is dense traffic and the fan kick in on stop and go traffic. But get back in 175-185F at cruising speed.

Not quite sure what I will do yet. Rad protector with adjustable (2-4") is an option. Or I found an inline 178F thermostat from C&R for $300ish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
lowest temp i've seen is about 150. even cruising at 120 on the highway in 35 degree weather didn't bring it down lower than that. highest temp i've seen with the motor running was 226, in severe stop and go traffic (i normally split lanes but wanted to see how the bike would cope). i once turned the engine off when the coolant temp was about 225 and a couple of seconds later when i turned the key back on the temp read 230 and the radiator fan instantly spun up full blast.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Temp

lowest temp i've seen is about 150. even cruising at 120 on the highway in 35 degree weather didn't bring it down lower than that. highest temp i've seen with the motor running was 226, in severe stop and go traffic (i normally split lanes but wanted to see how the bike would cope). i once turned the engine off when the coolant temp was about 225 and a couple of seconds later when i turned the key back on the temp read 230 and the radiator fan instantly spun up full blast.
Yesterday my bike hit 220 degrees after a five mile strech where i opened up the throttle. Then when I hit a series of stop lights the temp went way up to 220. I did notice the fans came on. Bike seems to run around 180-190 at speeed in 75 degree weather. So Cal

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was out for about a 70 mile run in the mid 40's no real traffic, mostly secondary roads. The bike got into the 160's.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Fair enough. If it runs in line with what everyone else is seeing I'll ride on!

Thanks guys.
Yup same experience here.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just picked up my new FZ09 on my lunch break, riding in 34 degree with light snow. Ran about 133-145 on the highway.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I was running at about 150 the other day, at about 60 degrees ambient. It surprised me it was so low. Then going home I got stuck behind some traffic at a light, and it got up to 217 after about 4 times at the light...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts