Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Curious to hear from some of you as to how many miles your bike already has on it, and have you come across any durability/reliability issues? I want an fz09 but am worried about getting a brand new platform of motorcycle that's motor and mechanical bits haven't been really tried and tested over years. Perhaps by now some folks have really ran theirs through the wringer with good results.

I'm used to my sv650 which has been practically bulletproof. Have almost 50k miles on it over 4 years and it still runs beautifully. That's an important aspect of a bike to me, I hate broken motorcycles or being stranded due to some dumb engineering.

·
Registered
107 Posts
No where near enough, but I just bought it a couple days ago and hey it's winter though you wouldn't know it by looking at our snow pack or lack there of.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
4300 miles...no issues. Had the CCT replaced under warranty but no reliability issues.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
4300 miles...no issues. Had the CCT replaced under warranty but no issues.
With over 2500 posts in less than 9 months I've got No time to ride.:(

Might have some issues here.:cool:

·
Registered
883 Posts
CCT adjustment is the only non-scheduled service in 10,270 miles. My FZ-09 is on the list for the wiring harness recall and the dealer offered the ECU flash as well, and I'll probably have those done before the start of spring. Pleased with performance and reliability, I have no interest in selling or trading.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just rolled 15,500 miles. Snow, dirt, road, 3 track days, 4 sets of tires, and 90% of those miles are hard. Runs great and still pulls like day 1. Have had it less than a year and my long term goal is to hit 100k miles with this bike :icon_thumright:
Nice to see someone on this board who isn't a lame ass!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have 12 k on mine but haven't ridden it in a month. I've been riding my BMW R1100RT instead ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any major maintenance required with these? Valve adjustments, etc? Just change oil? Are oil changes pretty simple DIY? No burping of the system needed, or anything like that, right? (i hate KTM)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any major maintenance required with these? Valve adjustments, etc? Just change oil? Are oil changes pretty simple DIY? No burping of the system needed, or anything like that, right? (i hate KTM)
I'm pretty sure the valve check interval is about 16,000 miles....usually the case for modern Japanese bikes. Oil changes are always simple DIY, especially on naked bikes.

One thing I noticed when checking the bike out though is the placement of the window you use to check the oil is rather odd. Is it meant to be checked while the bike is on the sidestand? I always have been under the assumption most motorcycles oil levels are to be checked with someone sitting on them, bike straight up and down. Seems like you would need to use a mirror or something to do that with the fz09.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Check the oil while the bike is level, straight up and down

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Oil changes and a couple sets of tires and thats it.

Nothing has broken or worn out.

I would be pretty put out if it did break in less than 25-30k miles.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I've got close to 6K miles on mine, but the FZ shares time with a ST1300 Sport-Touring bike and a 600RR track bike. Track days take up quite a few of our weekends.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I now have 10k on my FZ09, it is running stronger than ever.
The power delivery, and throttle response, make it seem like it has 30 more RWHP than what it does.
It would have more miles on it, but I have 3 other bikes, that I rotate riding.

·
Registered
128 Posts
17,000 miles on mine. I commute everyday on it about 100 miles round trip. Runs strong and keeps a smile on my face everyday.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts