Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying my own tires off the net and fitting them myself.. I have no tools as such. I know I'll need a bead breaker, and some irons, and finally some cable ties...

Is there another way ? I'm obviously not going to shell out a grand for a proper tire removing machine....

Reason being? Local stealership wants $100 to replace my rear, if I bring one in..... YEAH RIGHT ! :mad:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I do my own. I bought one of these and a tire balancer. Between the track bike and the FZ I'll be saving money after a few tire changes. Plus, I charge friends $10 a set for a tire swap. They're all too happy to pay me instead of the dealers downtown at $40/tire...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm thinking of buying my own tires off the net and fitting them myself.. I have no tools as such. I know I'll need a bead breaker, and some irons, and finally some cable ties...

Is there another way ? I'm obviously not going to shell out a grand for a proper tire removing machine....

Reason being? Local stealership wants $100 to replace my rear, if I bring one in..... YEAH RIGHT ! :mad:

There are several YouTube videos that show how to change your tires. They run the full gamut from ghetto to big dollar solutions.
I feel your pain, I live an hour away from the nearest shop to boot. For those reasons I just bought a NoMar unit.
I have changed many many MX tires, but my concern was about scratching the wheels up.
I have 2 dirt bikes, 2 street bikes, a 4 wheeler, mower and 3 trailers that I will change with my NoMar changer.
Besides I'm pretty sure I will have a line of friends willing to pay/trade to have it done locally.
Good luck finding a solution that works for you, lots of choices........

P.S. I chose what I did because the ease/quickness. I would much rather be on the road than wrestling a tire on the ground and cursing.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Did you look at the http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/1107-diy-tire-changing.html ?

A lot of the answers are there. Cable ties?

I use hand tools and some homemade stuff. Most expensive tools related to it are front and rear stands and an air compressor, but those have a lot of uses other than for tire changing and you could have all 3 of those for well under $400, I guess I have closer to $500 at 14 year old prices, but that's for top of the line stands and good but not big/fancy 'pressor.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Also, as I said in the other post, to get started you can change the tire and then throw the wheel in your car trunk to go to a filling station and use their air.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Brian. I bought a NoMar in 2007 and have changed a bunch of tires with it. The total at our house is usually 5 or 6 bikes, two of which are track only bikes, so lots of are gone through over the course of the year. NoMar probably paid for itself after a year and a half or so. It's all gravy now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in the process of buying the stands, I already have a compressor..... I do not really have the space in my garage to mount a NoMar. Space is too precious for something I'll only use every now and again.

This is the video i watched re the cable ties... What do you guys reckon?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Interesting technique, I wonder how long it took him to do that. At the least I would pick up 2 or 3 real tire tools and a rim saver instead of the pry bar/cardboard.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
New one to me. But after all the zips he still used a tire iron, easier than without the zips, but that much different? Also it'd bite my butt to cut the zips after such a brief use lol.

·
Registered
666 Posts
After doing it myself and gouging the hell out of the rim (previous bike) with tire irons and the hour long tire/wheel wrestling match, I decided that the $35 that the guys want to change a tire and not put one nick on the rim in the process was very much worth it.

I am OCD about stuff like that- gouging the rim on my brand new bike would drive me crazy every time I saw it... for as long as I owned the bike.

Now I happily pay someone else to do my tires clean and proper.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Hmm, either you were doing it wrong or your rims were harder than some, not all rims have the same profile side to side, it's the center dip towards the hub that makes it easier, a place for the bead to go for slack.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I didn't have the right tools. Home-made bead breaker (good god don't ask what I cobbled together), a couple tire irons, and some plastic bead protectors that got in the way a lot, working on the floor.
Plus it was my first time doing that by myself, so yes my technique was lacking. It was that last few inches of rubber on the bead that caused the iron to pinch between the tire & rubber, subsequently removing the powder coating there. I was using tire lubricant... It had the drop center.

Thankfully I got the bead seated with a hand pump. I don't have a compressor. Can of ether was at the ready though in case it needed to be exploded on.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm in the process of buying the stands, I already have a compressor..... I do not really have the space in my garage to mount a NoMar. Space is too precious for something I'll only use every now and again.

This is the video i watched re the cable ties... What do you guys reckon?

I use the Harbor Freight changer.

Also, use their orange goop hand cleaner as a lube for tire work as well as cleaning my hands afterward.

I also use aluminum tire levers with large flat areas on spoon part.

Have used the plastic rim protectors , though have also thin , non corregated card board .

A Harbor Freight demo was shown on the screen as a related video as the topic video ended.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

It's been ten years since I changed a tire, maybe I'm forgetting the bad parts, but this demo of the Harbor Freight changer makes changing with tire irons look easy lol.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought a bear breaker/stand that is small enough to hang on the garage wall. Its nice to have, and does a good job. Its this exact one.

Pit Posse Portable Tire Changer & Bead Breaker- MX South

Its really all you need, along with a few tire irons. I already had them from my dirtbiking days. They type with the screwdriver handle work very well.

I also bought a stand/balancer, but even it was reasonable . Something like this works just fine, or spend a little more and get one with legs..no problem either way.

Pit Posse Pocket Balancer Kit- MX South

After my first change, I felt bad for ever taking them to someone. No scratches as long as you use the plastic rim protectors. I had them done by th etime I coudl have driven to the shop. Also, its nice ot be able to mail order tires. I'm buying tires now that are a hundred bucks cheaper thna my dealer has them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was looking at this bead breaker too. I'm just scared, i'll gouge my new blue rims. I do have a Kawasaki KLX250sf that is going to need a new rear soon. Maybe I can practice on that first. It's my dirt trails bike, and its covered in dust, so i'll not be such a ***** taking a set of irons to it.

I bought a bear breaker/stand that is small enough to hang on the garage wall. Its nice to have, and does a good job. Its this exact one.

Pit Posse Portable Tire Changer & Bead Breaker- MX South

Its really all you need, along with a few tire irons. I already had them from my dirtbiking days. They type with the screwdriver handle work very well.

I also bought a stand/balancer, but even it was reasonable . Something like this works just fine, or spend a little more and get one with legs..no problem either way.

Pit Posse Pocket Balancer Kit- MX South

After my first change, I felt bad for ever taking them to someone. No scratches as long as you use the plastic rim protectors. I had them done by th etime I coudl have driven to the shop. Also, its nice ot be able to mail order tires. I'm buying tires now that are a hundred bucks cheaper thna my dealer has them.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Kawasaki KLX250sf has inner tubes right? Yes will be enough like the 09 to use as practice, but to me tubeless tires are a lot easier because you don't have to worry about pinching a tube etc.

Maybe pick up a cheap tubeless mc wheel and tire at a junk yard for practice?

What worked well for my learning was a local riding buddy that changed his own, I went there, if I recall right he watched/guided as I changed mine.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts