Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's finally here, and, first mod already!

My new bike was dropped off by the dealership today. So of course it started to snow 2 minutes after it got here. I haven't even driven it yet, but I did my first mod, I mounted my Puig Sport windshield that I've had sitting here waiting for it. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle Windshield Vehicle Headlamp Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

I'm so pumped! I have a Yoshimura tail tidy waiting to go on next.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The best colour choice, I think you meant to say!

Reactions: freudflintstone

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The best colour choice, I think you meant to say!
Be careful, any colour jokes could be in violation of the first rule under the forum guidlines.
http://www.fz09.org/forum/4-introductions-site-assistance/336-yamahafz09-com-rules-guidelines.html

"Guidelines of Conduct" on YamahaFZ09.com

1. No content that is considered racist..........

But a play on words should be ok.

American and British English spelling differences
American and British English spelling differences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which just by coincidence, you can buy a 2015 MT-09 in Blazing Orange in the UK.
MT-09 / ABS 2015 Features & techspecs - Motorcycles - Yamaha Motor UK

I think I need to cut back on my coffee today, lol.

Joking aside, congrats and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: whiteknightx

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was in Austin and went up to a bunch of those tough guy looking coppers nd said hey are you guys in the white knights gang and they said it's blue knights. I do that all the time with them type. An orangeville judge told me I had to sign in anytime I went to your town. I'll probably wave to you on 9 or 10.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
well, I live in a town called Orangeville, so what other colour could I buy? lol.

Finally took it for my first ride yesterday. it was only +4C, so I kept it short and sweet, just a spin around the block. It's quite a change from my ZX11. Feels just like riding on a dirt bike. And I really noticed the feeling of the lack of anything out in front of me. Seat upgrade is going to be moved up to the shortlist. It really tries to push you down into the tank doesn't it? I'm thinking about finding one of those Street Rally seats, but I don't have the longest inseam, so I'm not sure if I should go that way. I also like the look of the saddlemasters with the slot down the center.

I also found the turn signal button a little weird to get used to. doesn't feel like its in the right place. I had to look for it. I'm sure I'll get used to that.

Can't wait for a nicer day, so I can go out a little further. I know I made a good choice. I've always wanted a bike that had the fun factor of my original RD350LC. Nothing I've had since quite had it. Motorcycle Vehicle Cool Motorcycling Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know what you mean about the turn signals. I'm still new to the bike and it's a bit of pain at the moment but I'm confident after a few more rides it'll become second nature.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Yeah, love the Orange. The Orange wasnt even supposed to be a US spec bike, but when sales went crazy, they shipped over the Orange configuration to fill the gap. Now, again, it is a Euro spec bike only...

I got lucky, and it's cool that there is a story behind the mere existence of the Orange bikes in the US. Limited time only!

I've always had a love for Orange/Black schemes! Enjoy!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here in Canada, Orange was always one of the colours available, it was the first FZ I saw last year when they were first appearing, and knew it was the colour for me. The red is really nice, but lots of stuff is red. The new Yellow, now that I really like too. Maybe even better than the Orange, but I saved $600 buying a '14.

I got to try my new Shark modular helmet at the same time. Very nice. I don't usually go all colour matchy, but I tend to keep my bikes for a long time, and was due for a new lid, so snagged an Orange and black one at the last bike show. And the jacket is really sharp too, picked it up at the same time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so today, I mounted the yoshimura fender eliminator. I got about 80% finished, and then realised I'd have to drill new holes into my licence plate to make it work. I started rethinking the whole thing then. I got wondering how many people get hassled by the police over them? Should I go back to stock. Hmmm. It does look nice, but I don't really want extra hassle from the boys in blue.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
If you find the seat is pushing you into the tank, you can try Mcmann's seat sponge trick to see if that fixes the issue. Might be worth a try and it is a cheap fix.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/1575-seat-mod-reduce-forward-slope.html

I know a lot of people seem to complain that they hit the horn when they reach for the turn signal, but I haven't found that to be a problem.

After a couple good rides you get use to the turn signal location. If anything I find it's a stretch to get to the horn button, lol.

Just check with everyone on here before you buy any modes, chances are someone on here already has it and they might know a cheaper place to buy it from.

Lots of great help on here.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks Rocky. Yeah, I've been reading like crazy all the posts on the forum, before picking anything out. My Ontario plate being a different size from the Yosh plate surround was a bit of a shock. But I bit the bullet and drilled it and now its all mounted up.

My last couple bikes have had Corbin seats, but IMO the one for the FZ is not very good looking. Seats are so personal though, there's no real consensus on the board from what I've read for a 'best' seat, and it's not like you can try out a couple different ones. But I'm going to wait til I can get some longer rides in before I get serious about the seat upgrade.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts