Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to motorcycles, the fz09 is my fist motorcycle at purchase there was a whistling at idle. Dealer said it was the clutch and sent a sound sample to yamaha. Yamaha's response was the sound is normal and would go away after break in. A couple months 1700 miles later the sound hasn't went away and is just as strong or stronger. If I give the bike just a little bit of throttle say 2k its gone but at idle it's always there. I talked to the dealer today and told him I think the sound is the cam chain tensioner and not the clutch. His response was when we get the recall shifter in we'll take it all apart and find out what's wrong with it. I was not inspired.
Is it the cam chain tensioner? Is it something I should leave to warranty work, is it more of a problem than I think. I appreciate your help trying to make a good decision without a lot of knowledge, thanks.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Is it the intake whine?

Does it change when you pull in the clutch lever? If not, I highly doubt it has anything to do with the clutch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hopefully i did that right. when i pull in the clutch it doesn't change the sound in anyway. and it is louder slightly at first start.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have come to the realization that these bikes are pretty noisy, and with them being naked it allows you to hear it even better. So as I was told, ride more worry less. That is pretty tough to do seeing that it's my baby and also is what stands between me and the gravel....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm with you JDub. The dealership made a big deal of it when I bought it saying it was way louder than the others and wanting to work on it then. I've just been waiting for the sound to go away and it's always in the back of my mind. I'd like to do a pipe and tune during the winter an I hate to have something come back an haunt me. I just wish I was more of an expert. Should I go to another dealership to get a second opinion would that be rude?

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I'm with you JDub. The dealership made a big deal of it when I bought it saying it was way louder than the others and wanting to work on it then. I've just been waiting for the sound to go away and it's always in the back of my mind. I'd like to do a pipe and tune during the winter an I hate to have something come back an haunt me. I just wish I was more of an expert. Should I go to another dealership to get a second opinion would that be rude?
Critt.......the sound is normal and every single FZ09 that I've heard has the exact same sound. Time to find a different dealer if they are wanting to go poking around inside your engine when nothing is wrong........at least that sound is not wrong.

Reactions: SLM13 and RichBaker

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the video Bobby and the input guys. It's nice to have some good clear advice. only thing to worry about now is having fun. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think your bike sounds normal to me. I had a Triumph Sprint RS, and I though it sounded like a weed eater string spinning. Naked bikes do have more noises we're privy to, that's for sure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Outside of clattering noises or something, spending a bunch of time listening to your engine noises is just going to give you an ulcer.

Engines are noisy when out and exposed, this one especially so. I have a brand new Honda Civic sitting in my driveway, and it sounds funky if you lift the hood and have a listen.

Generally, light tapping, light ticking, smooth whirring and whistling is just a healthy valvetrain doing its thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2015 that made the same noise(chirping, whistling sound) but it stopped after 2,500 miles or so but when the noise was present I found that if I leaned the bike over to the right (clutch side)before I started the engine cold, the noise would go away as long as I leaned it to the right n noise would come back in if I put bike back on kick stand while engine was running possibly something on the right side of the engine may take some time for oil to reach it because after warm up noise goes away but then it would make the noise again when the engine was cold.The noise is gone now but it did concern me at the time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts