Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else on here has one great that makes a quiet, high pitched whine. It's
It's only 3rd for me, and it's constant no matter what speed or whether I shifted up or down into the gear. I'm at 500mi right now and it's always been there, hasn't gotten any worse. I'll be putting a few hundred more miles on tomorrow and I'll probably ask the dealer about it on Sunday if it continues.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I noticed it too, and I actually kinda like it.. Sounds like a small jet ready to take off. It encourages me to open the throttle more.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have always found that one of two gears always seem to make more noise than the other gears on most bikes.

I'd say, add some ear plugs, but in your case, crank up the tunes a bit more. :cool:

·
Registered
245 Posts
A lot of people have talked about whining related to gears and while I can certainly attest to some gear whine (especially in 6th), the loud whine is a tight chain. I cannot for the life of me understand the recommendation for 5mm of chain slack, but even at 20mm my chain whined very loudly. Feel your chain after you get off the bike and if the rivets burn your fingers it is too tight.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Normal... Even with proper (looser than yamahas rec.) chain slack.

Reactions: Socalrider

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great thanks guys. I wasnt too worried but the fact that it was only one of the gears was cause enough to check on out. Glad to hear it's normal =)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Same here, 3rd and 6th gear. I always know when I am in one of those two gears - no need to look at gear indicator. I loosened the chain the first day thinking that was the culprit but it did not help the whine. I don't know how they came up with the 1/5" chain slack number but I am running 1" - 1.5" slack on mine. Maybe they have a deal with the chain manufacturers to make us wear out our chains faster so we buy more chains!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They specced 1/5" slack seriously? Forget that, I'll keep out adjusted to 1" like I've done with any bike. That's nuts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts