Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
You can reduce some of the whining by setting the chain slack to 30mm, on the side stand.
But the chain makes a lot of noise, specially when passing those concrete Jersey barriers.

Reactions: CLemon

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
All triple cylinder engines whine to some degree because of the gears on the counter-balance shaft... you may be hearing it more on decel when the induction and exhaust noise drops.

Here's a pretty good explanation: (3) THIS is WHY Triples WHINE and whistle | Tea Kettle HIDDEN inside the engine ? - YouTube
Triples aren't the only engine that use straight cut gears on the balance shaft or throughout their transmissions. Every motorcycle I've owned , from early '70's inline fours to modern day thumpers, use straight cut gears throughout. The two dirt bikes I have now both have straight cut gears on balance shafts that you can't hear. Interesting video.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's a machine. Machines make noise. Yamahas make beautiful noises. I love the whine of the intake. Whine of the gears. The sound of the chain. My Yamaha snowmobiles make awesome noises too. Enjoy the experience. Take care of them and they'll take care of you 😊

1 - 14 of 14 Posts