Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2014 fz09 rapid red
-bone stock
-$7500 financed

2014 fz09 rapid red
-graves exhaust
-yamaha fly screen
-$9300 financed

same APR (3.49) and term on each loan. it would probably be months until i could save up enough to get the graves exhaust for the stock one, but i would probably wind up going with the M4 just to save some money. however, i would prefer the graves exaust.

but which one would you go with?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
$1800 for a pipe and fly screen sounds like a lot. Does that include something like a Power Commander and dyno fuel mapping for the pipe? Personally I wouldn't get a pipe with out taking care of the fuel mapping for it, no matter with the pipe company says about not needing it. They just want to sell you the pipe.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't finance a luxury. However, if I did, I'd finance the smaller amount.

Then again, we live completely debt free, so I'm in the minority.

If I were you, I'd wait for the Orange.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$7500 one, you may be happy with stock pipe. Can you test ride?
I have already ridden one several times. Biketoberfest in daytona last year was my first ride and it was love right away. Bike week in daytona this year I rode it again, and it cemented my decision to get one. bike sounded good stock, but im addicted to modding my bikes haha

Personally, I wouldn't finance a luxury. However, if I did, I'd finance the smaller amount.

Then again, we live completely debt free, so I'm in the minority.

If I were you, I'd wait for the Orange.
I agree with you completely, but ive looked at the math and financing thee extra $1800 is only ~$230 over the term of the loan. And i plan on paying off the bike well before the maturity date. i just recently finished paying off all my student loans only 2 years after graduating. im pretty responsible about my finances, just wanted to get others opinions.

also, cant get the orange. im an sc alum haha

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
We all PLAN to pay things off in due time. Unfortunately life, often does not go as planned. If you had to sell the bike, the aftermarket parts that you are financing at full MSRP, are worth nearly nothing on a used bike. Financing a bike is one thing, financing the farkles is a whole other world of silly, IMHO. The bike retains value, the aftermarket, not so much.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We all PLAN to pay things off in due time. Unfortunately life, often does not go as planned. If you had to sell the bike, the aftermarket parts that you are financing at full MSRP, are worth nearly nothing on a used bike. Financing a bike is one thing, financing the farkles is a whole other world of silly, IMHO. The bike retains value, the aftermarket, not so much.
I understand that. Thats why I have a decent emergency fund set aside that I am not going to use to pay for these parts. As you said, life happens and I like to be prepared. I will either save up for the parts or get them upfront, but have them financed. Its comes down to whether or not its worth a couple hundred dollar premium. The difference in monthly payment is only ~$30.

but I think you have are right. I'll probably get the $7500 bike

·
Registered
192 Posts
1800.00 for a 1200 exhaust? Lots of our local shops do this too. Add extras to bump up the price. Dont do it. They usually figure in huge labor charges in the priced up bike.

If you want the exhaust and fly screen go in and look at the 9300 bike, but start at the 7500 price. It can be a decent way to get the accessories you want at a good price. Odds are they can buy the exhaust for closer to 8-900 vs the 1249 retail. The flyscreen will be about 50% off if its from Yamaha. Work a bottom dollar figure on the accessory bike, then jump back to the stock one. You can sometimes do this and throw the negotiation off balance in your favor.

Dont buy into that 30.00 per month extra thinking. If multiplied out over 60 months, that 30 is now 1800.00 and enough to get your attention. They'll do it to you on the warranty and credit accident life heath things too by saying its only 7.00 per month.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Get the stock one. You will appreciate the mods that much more once you do them. Plus the arrow full racing exhaust is only $800. If I were gonna spend $1200 on an exhaust I would buy the akrapovic exhaust. No need to finance another $1800.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
That's easy. Go with the stock one.
Those mods are not worth that difference.

I like your philosophy.
My wife and I are in the same boat as you.
We just paid off the house last year... There was once a time when people bought what they could afford, now we live in a world where people buy what they can finance. It's a dangerous world.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
100% agree

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I am completely debt free, and I mean no notes whatsoever, but I wasn't always in that position. If you have a prudent reserve saved, have a history of paying debts off early, can easily afford more than the base payment, go ahead. On simple interest loans you will be reducing your interest by paying towards principal, though rule of 78's have you paying more interest in the beginning and reduced each month thereafter. Make absolute sure by reading the installment loan contract that there is NO PRE-PAYMENT PENALTY. Some of the lenders still have them

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
If you can easily afford the payments, still, buy the cheaper one and SAVE for the extras. Delayed gratification is key to becoming financially secure. The COST of an item is more than the monetary value, risk has a value.

·
Registered
182 Posts
We just paid off the house last year... There was once a time when people bought what they could afford, now we live in a world where people buy what they can finance. It's a dangerous world.
Not necessarily. Depending on the interest rate of the loan and what you might do with the saved cash it may be more prudent to go for the loan and invest the saved money into something that will pay you back more than the rate of the loan. Having no debt is great, but it's not the end all be all of being financially smart.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Tell that to those who took part in the housing bubble. Debt has a cost, it's called risk. Most returns are not guaranteed, interest costs are guaranteed. Debt free isn't the ONLY way, but people do not like to talk about the risks of debt, and the fact that returns are not assured, however your interest payments are. Also, financing something with nearly no value on a used bike, such as farkles, is bad business.

Debt free isn't the only way, but it's pretty friggin reliable. The market, investments, employment... Are not.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Get the $7500 stocker, and save up for fork mods, a Penske shock and a Stoltec reflash. Altogether those would probably be under $1800 and you'd get a lot more bang for your buck.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The exhaust is maybe worth $1100 MSRP, the screen $140, so you'd be paying $1800 plus interest for something only worth $1240 on day one. On day two those items are worth maybe $500. Do the math, plan for your future, your decisions today, will be your reality tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts