Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking for a low cost companion for my Overly energized FZ and have two schools of thought:

First, I thought it might be fun to have a very low mileage (under $500) 2013 CBR250 or TU250 to go out occasionally and abuse (ride it to its limit and beyond) since I'm not experienced enough to really abuse the FZ -- the FZ-09's got more spunk than I do at this stage of my life....Kind of reminds me of what I was like twenty five years ago.... The used 250cc runs about 3200 OTD.

The second bike is a 2011 Ninja 1000 (5200 miles) with pipes, $8000 OTD -- the Sport Touring bike for longer distance highway riding.....

Don't misunderstand; I've got the FZ-09 running through my veins, but sometimes ya just want to saddle up another ride.....and I know for a Fact that my FZ-09 gets lonely sleeping alone.....

Is Bigger always better......??? Finances aren't a factor on this choice.

Your opinion counts.....!!!

Thanking you guys in advance.

Steve101

PS I am Not a very experienced rider, but can hold my own:cool:

Reactions: redeye

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
This is really subjective.

If you have a real desire to do some long-distance touring, then the Ninja is the way to go.

If you just want something you can ride the piss out of without getting into too much trouble, then the CBR250 is the one.

...and no, bigger is not better.

Personally, I would love to be able to go buy a GROM & ride around and terrorize the city on it 4.gif

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Given your relative inexperience I think a smaller bike would be the way to go, something to hone your skills on and start practicing the things that you can't on the FZ because the power scares the bejeezes out of you.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I am not a fan of any of the 250 "sport bikes". I would look into a dual sport, enduro, or motard, if I were going for a small single cylinder bike. At least it doesn't look like a wanna be 600. I have always wanted a drz400s. My son has a dr200 and it is okay, but I would say at least a 250cc.

Ninja 1000 and CBR1000 are both nice sport touring bikes.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Given your relative inexperience I think a smaller bike would be the way to go, something to hone your skills on and start practicing the things that you can't on the FZ because the power scares the bejeezes out of you.
The smaller bike has some advantages.....but I've Never been scared or had Any prob with the power of the FZ -- ALL the power is in your right hand, and if things get dicey the left hand and brakes keep it all together.......I agree I wouldn't run the crap out of the FZ since I know it'd kick my ass before I knew what hit me.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leaning this way:

image.jpg image.jpg

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you can deal with the tall seat of the KLR650, that would get my vote.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Is Bigger always better......??? Finances aren't a factor on this choice.
Quoting myself from long ago... OK, last October... maybe not THAT long ago...

My daughter learned to ride on a Suzuki TU250X, which I enjoy riding as well. Despite its relatively low power output, the TU is an unexpectedly gratifying ride since the rider can hold the throttle wide open in many situations without concern for loss of control.
Or, as you mentioned, "ride it to its limit" but I'll leave off the "and beyond" part. ;)

TU250X... Gratifying then; gratifying now. Classic styling, standard seating position, simplicity of maintenance, fuel injection and modern ignition, ridiculous fuel economy, and still one of the most compliant and forgiving motorcycles I have ever ridden. Looking for an FZ-09 companion sounds like fun. Best wishes on your search!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Always more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

I had a WR250X which would make a great stablemate for the FZ. But if money's really no object - get both!

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I almost bought a ninja 1000 but went with the FZ instead.

I've heard the seat on the 1000 is brutal

Sent from my phone and my autocorrect sucks

·
Registered
768 Posts
Well, prior to my current FZ09 (and it's FZ-8 cousin I sold to buy it), I've also owned a CBR250R and a KLR650.
As a second bike, I can vouch that either of those two would be neat. I wouldn't mind a Grom, either. But, I'd have to see about shoehorning a bigger engine in one for kicks and that would get expensive - defeating the whole "cheap second bike" idea.
If money and common sense are no obstacles, get a Super Tenere. I had one of those before I got the 09.
P03-10-11_14_59b.JPG xtz1200 and fz8 002b.jpg c.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agree with the supermoto suggestions. I have a WR450F sumo and it is a blast to ride. It's the only other bike I enjoy as much as my FZ. A couple advantages to the supermoto are it is a great confidence builder because it handles so well, and you can push a little harder in a safe environment knowing laying it down's not going to cost an arm and a leg in repairs. You can also do a little mild off-roading with it. The big disadvantage is you'll be riding like hooligan before you know it - ok, maybe that's not such a disadvantage...

·
Registered
962 Posts
My other bike is a CRF250L. I was looking at used enduro 650 and 400's, when a very lightly used CRF250L popped up. Having fuel injection won me over. Sure, it's only 20hp - but it moves me and will do most everything I want. I bought it to be able to chase my 7 year old through the woods on her XR80 - but I use it a lot for short jaunts. I'm going to switch the tires to shinko 705's once they are worn - because the knobbies make it scarier at 70mph than my zuma 125 was. I would get an enduro 250 rather than a little street bike - unless you're considering a ninja 300. I'd like to shoehorn that 300 engine into a KLX250 frame though!

The Ninja 1000 is fairly close to the FZ-09, and a lot of money. Unless you're wanting something to more smoothly/comfortably carry a passenger on long trips - in which case I'd probably go even further towards the comfort with a VStrom. I owned one for several years, and for riding position and passenger carrying I'd take it over the Ninja or an FJR... The power and ride is smooth and predictable - which makes the passengers happy. I also owned a Burgman 650 - and it's really nice being able to drop a load of groceries under the seat, or everything you and your passenger need for a day at whatever (and then stow your helmets under it when you park). It's unintimidating to passengers, gives good wind protection, and will run all day at freeway speeds with no problem.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I would love to have one of these: XR650SM

xr650sm.jpg

·
Registered
172 Posts
Agree with the supermoto suggestions. I have a WR450F sumo and it is a blast to ride. It's the only other bike I enjoy as much as my FZ. A couple advantages to the supermoto are it is a great confidence builder because it handles so well, and you can push a little harder in a safe environment knowing laying it down's not going to cost an arm and a leg in repairs. You can also do a little mild off-roading with it. The big disadvantage is you'll be riding like hooligan before you know it - ok, maybe that's not such a disadvantage...
Exactly. I don't ride my FZ super aggressive, but I also don't baby her. It Would be nice to have something a little milder I can really thrash without too much worry, get it all out of my system and then hop on the FZ and take it easy.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Based on all the comments above, I'm leaning (no pun intended) torwards the 2013 CBR250 and shopping on CycleTrader.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts