Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I took a nail in the rear. I am plugging for now but ultimately I will have to replace. It went in at a bit of an angle.

Tires are oem Dunlop D214 sportmax.

I can't find the rear online and the local stealership said they can't get one until late March.

Bike is new and front is in perfect condition. I live in SW Florida with hot weather all year round and am was happy with the oems.

Which Dunlop would be best suited to match the front D214 given I can't get a rear D214

If push came to shove and I needed to replace both front and back what is recommended ? Taking into account I ride in shorts and t-shirt in warm weather all yr, so I don't hoon around all that much. Don't get me wrong. The throttle does get the better of me every now and again. But I'm not exactly on one wheel, or with my knee down (in my shorts).

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Just install a good tire. the oem tires are OK but not what I consider a good tire. that is a very subjective thing.

my preferred tire is a Pirelli supercorsa but that is me and i like a tire with lots of traction plus i live where it doesn't rain hardly at all.

if i live in Florida i would probably use pirelli angel rear tire.

Dunlop makes good tires I just don't care for the riding feel of Dunlops

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I'm keeping my stock Bridgestone S-20 tires. I am happy with them, pretty damn sticky and alot of guys rave about them. I notice alot of guys on here replacing the S-20's, dismissing them as stock tires but they are actually pretty good tires and alot of guys use them for track days because they stick.

The Stock Dunlops? I have not heard good things about them.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have the S20s on my bike and they surprised me as oem tires go but I would never buy one. too many other tires that are a lot better.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah, mine came with Bridgestones and they'll be fine for me until worn out, then I'll go with what TripleThreat has, I forget now what they are.

As others have said, don't try to get the exact tire you are replacing, besides the wait it would be way over priced. I don't know what to recommend to go with the stock front. When the tires aren't matched I'd prefer the stickier one to be on the front.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Got a set of Continental Conti Motion this week. I was a bit too busy to get them installed. I would early this week. I got a bit over 3500 miles out of the S20s stocky. The Conti is a sport-TOURING tire. I've been using it with great result here in Florida flat road, not sure how it will handle the extra power yet but at $200 for the set if it doesn't work I'll get something else. There's absolutely no twisties here... so no real need for sticky tires. If all goes well I might try to do a track day or two this year... I'll get different shoes when time comes.

Handling is pretty shitty now since the flat spot is quite big. Even the front show sign of wear... very surprising considering the time it spend on the ground LOL

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I hate the Dunlops on my bike. It takes forever for them to warm up. I run Michelin Pilot Road 3's on my CBR, and they are incredible. For a sport tour tire they outperform the sport tires I ran on the bike years ago. They warm up instantly, and do not feel sluggish like the Bridgestone BT-021 that I ran prior. Going for a set of Road 4's as soon as my rear tire wears out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm running a Michelin Pilot Road 4 in the back with a Pilot Power 3 up front. Night and day difference compared to the stock Dunlops.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think this is about the 4th post I've seen this weekend with nail, including myself. I had the bike less than 2 weeks ~520 miles and am actually happy the stock Dunlop got replaced. I also went up a size to a 190 50 17 Michelin Pilot Power. It is MUCH more comfortable riding. Just got it back this afternoon but seems good so far.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think this is about the 4th post I've seen this weekend with nail, including myself. I had the bike less than 2 weeks ~520 miles and am actually happy the stock Dunlop got replaced. I also went up a size to a 190 50 17 Michelin Pilot Power. It is MUCH more comfortable riding. Just got it back this afternoon but seems good so far.
I'm thinking PP3s for me although I'm getting some good use out of my stock tire.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

I took this at the top of palomar mountain today, it has these things called curves that really get the tires heated up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts