Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got new tires installed and we didn't pay attention how we took out the front tire...
Can someone post a pic how the front wheel goes in?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Match the spokes of the front wheel to the rear wheel, the spokes should be slanting towards the back of the bike if looking at the top half of the wheel, and tire should be mounted the correct way. Technically it doesn't matter which way the front wheel goes but what I said is correct

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both spacer are in and both are the same..
When i installed the calipers back on it was weird i had to pump up my brakes
Everything looks good but the right caliper is close to the rotor

·
Registered
768 Posts
Pumping the brakes is 100% normal. When you removed the calipers to get the wheel off, the pads got spread apart a small amount.
As for rotational direction, on rims where the valve stem is offset and nearer one spoke than another, it "follows" that spoke as the wheel rotates.
Spin the rim until the valve stem is at 12:00. The nearest spoke should be in front of it - in the direction the bike is headed.
Other wheels I've seen, where the valve stem is centered, often have a directional arrow on a mag spoke (Suzuki, etc...) or on a brake rotor near the mounting bolts.

direction.jpg

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Both spacer are in and both are the same..
When i installed the calipers back on it was weird i had to pump up my brakes
Everything looks good but the right caliper is close to the rotor
I think we need pictures...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The axle is definitely not screwed in all the way. Maybe the pinch bolt wasn't backed off far enough when you tightened the axle? That would cause the body of the caliper to not line up correctly with the disc.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I turned around the rim and now its fine... But if i leave it like that its in the wrong direction
This will also install the tire (tread pattern) in the wrong direction, which means the tire will not perform as designed, which is especially bad in the rain.

Try spreading the brake pads in the caliper with a clean flat screw driver. Clean screwdriver so you don't contaminate the brake pads.

This will open up the brake pads and help them to self centre after re-installation. The brake pads will self centre after the tire is installed and the brakes are applied a couple of times. You could have accidentally bumped your brake lever a little??? or the brake caliper pistons creeped out of position a little, with no brake rotor to hold them in place. It's a good idea to stick a stiff piece of clean cardboard between the brake pads whenever you remove the brake calipers. It also helps keep them apart, to make it easier to spread them open with a screw driver when you go to re-install the calipers.

https://clickgetter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Disc-Brake-System-Animation.gif

For some weird reason, the above animated GIF wouldn't load properly at my end???

Reactions: Morten
1 - 16 of 16 Posts