Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2019 MT-09, Shad seat, Puig Touring, Quad Lock, STS Tidy Tail and Indicators, flash to come.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Post

Having just bought a 2019 MT-09 after decades of not riding I was surprised at two things. 1) how crazy fast it is compared to my old 1978 Honda 750F LOL 2) how terrible the drive by wire throttle really is! Why hasn't Yamaha fixed this obvious blight?

I came here to start learning about ECU Flashes and product comparisons for a few accessories. I'm not a tech savvy guy so really appreciate the tons of good information here, thanks!

Now my question... What is the best approach to solving the drivability, fueling issue? I don't want to send the bike to a tuner with a dyno (highly likely that the closest tuner of good repute is 1,500 miles away). I also don't really want to send my ECU away as that would mean international shipping during Covid and a long wait but I'll do this it it is the hands down best way to go. I am leaning toward the DynoJet Power Vision 3 solution. It would be cool if a guy pay for a tune from Ivan or the guy on here that has shared so much. Which way should I go? Any major issues with DynoJet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would go with RapidBike Evo module as a piggy back on your stock ECU + MWR air filter + RapidBike QS module as attachment. Please talk to Paul from Bellissimoto (702-901-4028). H'e on this forum (pgeldz).
Short Reasoning: Tune is performed under specific conditions at the time of tuning. RapidBike learns and adapts based on your riding and location.

·
Vendor
1,456 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
I had a 2017 mt and the fuelling in my opinion was terrible until I had the ecu flashed by the guy above..you beat me too it Dave! I found it very difficult to roll on smoothly in the tight technical twisties. The flash made a huge difference.

·
Registered
2019 MT-09, Shad seat, Puig Touring, Quad Lock, STS Tidy Tail and Indicators, flash to come.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would get the flashing kit and active tune, i will provide support
I did not know you sold the kit for DIY. MOFO!!! This is a route I would take... my preference of course. But the price... I'll keep this info in my back pocket. Thanks vcyclenut.

P.S.: @The Hermit, if you search the forums, vcyclenut is THE dude on flashing/tuning your Yami Tuning Forks! Just sain'.

Reactions: The Hermit

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

FTECU Flashing Kit For R1, R6, FZ/MT 09, FJ09, FZ1, FZ/MT 7, FZ8, FZ/MT10 (vcyclenut.com)

FTECU Active tune (vcyclenut.com)

this also tunes while you ride and works with all the functions of the ecu flash. If you purchase through me I will provide a base flash for you to use with the kit

any questions please let me know
Hummm wish I lived closer to anyone knowing what they are doing... these solutions seem pretty complicated to me and more pricey than I was anticipating. I don't intend to race or ride crazy fast so the added HP that would come from these solutions and exhaust upgrades isn't needed, (I'm getting too old with reduced reaction times). I REALLY need the fix for the twitchy throttle.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Another solution for the twitchy throttle is the G2 throttle tamer. It's basically just a different throttle tube and cams to make that initial roll on a little smoother.

·
Registered
463 Posts
...the added HP that would come from these solutions...
You have to keep in mind, these aren't the only things a flash and tune would fix. For example, for me, the number one reason to get a flash is the stupid fan temperature setting. It seems most FZ/MT are set to turn on the radiator fan at around 210F. That's ****ing blistering. Given that at highway speeds, the temp hovers at around 170/180F ish, I would say a good temp threshold would be 185/190F depending on your environment. I mean, here in Boston, summer does get hot, and having the fan only kick on at 210F bakes your legs. Turning on a bit earlier would still bake your legs, but no reason to bake your engine. Again, that's the number one reason for me.

EDIT: I should add here, you best have a good battery. I assume the reason Yamaha has it so high is because any lower, and your fan would be turning on more often when bike is not at speed??? So having a proper battery will save you from quick drains to the battery. Just an assumption. I don't know why the factory setting is so high.

For you, the number one reason seems to be the twitchiness of the throttle. Vcyclenut will also help you with a tune that is more satisfying for your style of riding, not necessarily racing, but cruising. I'm sure he can jump in here and elaborate more options that I'm certain will suit your needs besides MOAR POWA!

Like I said, HE DA MAN on how to tune your dilithium crystals. I know most peeps call him up saying, "Scotty, GIMME FULL POWA!", but his wizardry goes beyond just more beans.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
I don't know how it works with getting your ECU flashed here in US by Vcyclenut. I will say that his price is great, his flash is super refined and reliable and his turn around is about 1 day. I've had an FJ 09 and a MT 10 done by him and they were / are excellent. The Canadian part I can't offer advice but he probably knows how to deal with that also.
I came from motocross bikes so I enjoy twitchy. My only concern was having a predictable throttle because I ride in traffic a lot and I hated that Yamaha put a limiter on these bikes.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The only problem with shipping between our 2 countries is the outrageous costs! You can get an ebay item costing under $20.00 shipped from China for free..go figure!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Ive used a rapidbike evo on my vfr 800 streetfighter so it could auto tune after new exhaust, 50% larger airbox and new velocity stacks. They work really well, plug and play.

·
Vendor
1,456 Posts
Hummm wish I lived closer to anyone knowing what they are doing... these solutions seem pretty complicated to me and more pricey than I was anticipating. I don't intend to race or ride crazy fast so the added HP that would come from these solutions and exhaust upgrades isn't needed, (I'm getting too old with reduced reaction times). I REALLY need the fix for the twitchy throttle.
where in Canada do you live?

·
Registered
5 Posts

FTECU Flashing Kit For R1, R6, FZ/MT 09, FJ09, FZ1, FZ/MT 7, FZ8, FZ/MT10 (vcyclenut.com)

FTECU Active tune (vcyclenut.com)

this also tunes while you ride and works with all the functions of the ecu flash. If you purchase through me I will provide a base flash for you to use with the kit

any questions please let me know
I did not know about the FTECU Active Tune option from you. Is that a recent(since 2020) thing?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
137 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts