Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my FZ for about four months now and its still bone stock and i am really looking for some advice on where to start?? i like stoltec is saying they can do with the ecu because I'm not a fan of how jerky the trottle can be with the engine breaking.. any help would be awesome, possibly post some links?

·
Registered
337 Posts
There are tons of links with data about modifications already posted, do a search on the forum for the type of mods you are thinking about doing and they are probably already posted.

Even a couple free mods with pictures and instructions, really depends on what type of changes you would like to make.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have had my FZ for about four months now and its still bone stock and i am really looking for some advice on where to start?? i like stoltec is saying they can do with the ecu because I'm not a fan of how jerky the trottle can be with the engine breaking.. any help would be awesome, possibly post some links?
My recommendation... frame sliders. Here's the link:
http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/31-stoltec-moto/891-group-buy-woodcraft-frame-sliders.html

The group buy is over, but the product is available. I probably won't mod too much, at least for a while until the FZ-09 and I get to know each other better. But I am convinced this is a good first move. Best wishes with your FZ-09!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I always do handling and braking before performance. My handling so far has just been to get the rear brake pedal at a comfortable place for my foot to hover over it, setting the front and rear sag, and upping the dampening in the forks - er, the dampening in the fork... I also spent $10 on some mirror wideners that go up 35cm and out 45cm - so I can see behind me. Next will be visibility - brighter than stock bulbs for the turn signals, blinker genies to turn them into driving lights that blink off instead of on, hi-vis brake light LED pods. I'd also like some LED Denali driving lights because I like to play at night when the country roads are empty. Stebel horn - need I explain? I'm waiting to mount it until I get my screen - because I plan on putting it under the screen. I'll probably put some heavier fork oil in (if it really has 0w then I'll go to 5w or 7w). At the same time some fork springs meant for a 235lb rider instead of a 175lb rider would be good.

My not so popular mods are the Yamaha rear carrier, 39l topbox and pad - but I'm a single parent and carrying my daughter as safely as possible is a priority (these were the first things I ordered). Also a MFW vario touring windscreen to keep it as quiet as possible so our Chattterbox's are clear (and to cover the Stebel).

I'm not happy with the placement of the horn button - it isn't that intuitive - so I'm considering switching the left hand switchgear to one from a different model where the turn signal and horn are further apart.

Spiegler stainless steel braided brake lines, better pads, stickier tires.

I probably won't touch the engine or exhaust. When I want smoother throttle response (carrying a passenger) I use B mode. When I want to go fast - it's smooth corner speed that I want.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my goals are really to clean it up and try to make the throttle smoother and less engine breaking but i would really want to get rid of all that silver parts and make them either blue,black or gold. and i and trying to find a good exhaust. i also want to get better breaks. as i only weigh about 150 ready to ride i don't think the stock suspension is all that bad..

·
Registered
364 Posts
Think safety first - handling, braking and protection

Adjust suspension
I would suggest that sliders are important while adjusting to a new bike
ECU
Visibility
Improve brakes

·
Registered
962 Posts
Think safety first - handling, braking and protection

Adjust suspension
I would suggest that sliders are important while adjusting to a new bike
ECU
Visibility
Improve brakes
Yep - I forgot to mention sliders. Just like carrying a cell phone - sliders can help you get home after a fall. You don't need to be a racer to benefit from sliders. If you fall down 20 miles from nowhere - having sliders can mean being able to ride home. Cars come with bumpers, why don't bikes come with sliders?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you very much guys it helps a lot... has anyone had their edu reflashed from stoltec? it sounds awesome.
what about anyone getting new blinkers? i like the one marthy has on the thread of his bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts