Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from the midwest, but going to Los Angeles on Thursday for a friend's wedding. My GF surprised me for my bday and rented me a Monster 1200 for a day (Saturday). Since we'll be riding two up, I won't be riding fast or aggressively, but want some nice fun scenic roads. Thinking of starting near Santa Monica and heading up hwy 1 and then coming back through the roads in the Santa Monica Mountains National Rec area. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
You can definitely ride up Hwy 1 (normally referred to as PCH - Pacific Coast Highway) from Santa Monica. It is a nice ride - BUT on weekends unless you go early it is a bit hectic. It is packed with all sorts of cars and bikes - tourists and locals who are not watching the road and who will pull out from road side parking without looking and worse - ones who will swerve across all lanes to get to an open parking spot. So just make sure to keep it chill and keep your eyes off the ocean and on the road.

From PCH there are tons of different roads you can cruise up into the canyons - some of the best riding around. Since you are riding 2 up and coming from the mid west (where I assume there is not as many tight twisties) - I would recommend some of the more open roads - such as Malibu Canyon or Kanan. They are a little more boring and have lots of cars, but also lest tight turns.

Also, from Kanan, you can turn right onto Mulholland - which puts you right at the top of the Snake -which is worth seeing all of the madness, even if you don't ride it. (there is a nice lookout there where you could drop off your lady and take a few laps).

Also, heading back down Mulholland the other way from Kanan is a nice road without anything too tight and twisty.

I live in the area and have ridden most all of the roads on bikes and motorcycles. If you want some specific maps/directions, hit me up on private message and we can connect and I can give you tons of info.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
It will be hot so that means staying in the mountains or near the coast. There is nothing near the coast except lots of traffic from mexico to Ventura.

Highways to consider: hwy 2 heading up the mountains from pasadena is fun.

The roads around Ojai are great fun as well.

Reactions: richp5132

·
Registered
154 Posts
+1 on Hwy 2. Technical but overly so with great views and usually about 10 to 15 degrees cooler.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would say you are right on with PCH...hwy1 all the way up to big sur or San francisco..... very scenic route and fun ride...considering its first time out here riding.... PCH has been on listed one of best rides in usa category....for scenic routes....You just have to bee ready for tourist stuff as any motorcyclist is used to on a weekend ride.... Just find out the gas tank size and mpg to gauge fuel stops..... Once I ran into bunch of german tourist motorcyclist,,,riding their bikes up there....yeah,,, they were riding on rental harleys...

Not to mention its going to be nice and cool along the coast in summer.....

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would say you are right on with PCH...hwy1 all the way up to big sur or San francisco..... very scenic route and fun ride...considering its first time out here riding.... PCH has been on listed one of best rides in usa category....for scenic routes....You just have to bee ready for tourist stuff as any motorcyclist is used to on a weekend ride.... Just find out the gas tank size and mpg to gauge fuel stops..... Once I ran into bunch of german tourist motorcyclist,,,riding their bikes up there....yeah,,, they were riding on rental harleys...

Not to mention its going to be nice and cool along the coast in summer.....

PCH from LA up to Big Sur or SF and back - all in one day - riding 2 up on a rented bike - coming from out of the area?

I think that may be a bit ambitious.

It is not impossible, but that is a long, long day in the saddle.

·
Registered
187 Posts
you can make small 200 mile loops outta Hwy 1 and Hwy 2 and also zig zag some canyons around mullholland, dont forget to cruise down to the beach too

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
When you get done at the Mulholland Snake get back on Las Verginess and head south to the coast. Turn right on 1 and go about 4 miles to Latigo Canyon. Hang a right and get ready for about 10 miles of the most fun you can have on a bike.

New pavement as of last year. There is one stretch near the beginning that still has old pavement but you will be past it soon. It is nothing but tons of mostly 2nd and 3rd gear turns galore.

When you reach the top you will be tired of turning....lol.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are great! I'm having a hard time identifying the snake looking at google maps. It's part of mulloholand?

·
Registered
159 Posts
You guys are great! I'm having a hard time identifying the snake looking at google maps. It's part of mulloholand?

Yes - "The Snake" aka "The Rock Store" is actually part of Mulhollland Hwy.

Mulholland is pretty long - basically going the entire span of the Santa Monica Mountains - many sections are great to ride, and a few not so much.

Here is a link to a google map: https://goo.gl/maps/2lphJ

The Rock Store is a small restaurant/bar at the bottom of the run - and then it winds up - towards Kanan road. The main stopping points are the look out at the top (near Kanan) and of course the bottom at the Rock Store.

Here is a link to all of the details on twistypedia Famous Mulholland Highway with The Snake and The Rock Store | Twistypedia

Here is a sat image with the road highlighted: http://www.rockstorephotos.com/image/map.jpg

The snake is not the best road in the whole area - but it gets the most people - the most action - the most craziness - and seems to be really popular with everyone who comes in from out of town.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I thought you wanted to do scenic 2up ride.... snake, or any canyons in the malibu, hwy 2 are all just twisties that you carve out, tight corner to conquer or crash.... now La tuna is scenic,,,one way traffic, tight and cliff overhang.....

PCH is scenic and recommended for 2up....Now if you want carving canyon, twities....then yeah, latigo, snake, piuma, stunt, decker, mulholland, old topanga, la tuna canyon or go out to deer creek road coming down,,,it goes up from Neptune..... If you like fried fish....don't go Neptune....Go to Malibu seafood right below latigo canyon....long quick lines...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sorry I was not recommending riding all of the twisty roads at all - just that you can easily access the top of the Snake right off Kanan (which is a wide, 4 lane, mellow road) and either stop and watch from the top and id desired, allow the pillion to get off at the look out and take a few solo runs.

Other than that - you can certainly just cruise up PCH through Malibu out to Neptunes Net or Mugu Rock and then turn back towards Santa Monica.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts